[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eggs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: AWA eggs.jpg (32 KB, 458x305) Image search: [Google]
AWA eggs.jpg
32 KB, 458x305
Where do you get your favorite eggs?
>>
>>7201548
a dozen eggs last me about 1-2 days so i buy them wherever they are cheap and reasonably decent.
>>
Cheapest available from the grocery store with the longest printed shelf life.
I don't give a fuck if they are free range, cage free, organic, free trade, yada yada. This world has lots of bigger problems than the happiness of food chickens, its a stupid thing to be all activist about.
>>
File: store vs home raised.jpg (93 KB, 360x284) Image search: [Google]
store vs home raised.jpg
93 KB, 360x284
>>7201562
>I don't give a fuck if they are free range, cage free, organic, free trade, yada yada.

You should start.

Actually nothing you buy from the grocery store is that good regardless of the labeling. But if you are able to get your hands on true back-yard grazing hen laid eggs then you would understand the difference.

Grocery store eggs are like a pale yellow/white glob of snot in the pan. The albumin runs and is watery. The yolk is flavorless. But real eggs should have an orange yolk that is so thick and creamy it stands up in the pan like an orange-red ping pong ball. An omelette made with eggs like this is one of the tastiest best textured things I've ever eaten.

Try real eggs anon. Drive around the most rural areas you can find in the summer and you might see an eggs for sale sign on someone's mailbox. These birds only lay eggs when the days are longer than the nights, so that is the best time to find them.
>>
>>7201562
>Cheapest available from the grocery store with the longest printed shelf life.

Disgusting.

It's not about ethics, grocery store eggs are just shit quality.
>>
>>7201575
>>7201580
Hmm, something to consider, but I need to notice the difference myself. Why doesn't the USDA or whatever regulatory agency regulate this shit? If it says "grade A" then its at the very top of its class, right?
So all the fancy eggs at the grocery store are labelled in a way to make the bleeding heart liberals feel better about themselves, as if guilt feelings keep them awake at night. A few claim to be infused with omega-3. But mostly the eggs that are triple the price (or more) claim to be kinder to the chickens, not taste better.
I live in a big city and farm eggs are out of the question. If I'm going to pay more than $5 a dozen, what egg marketing buzzwords are most important?
>>
>>7201603
>Why doesn't the USDA or whatever regulatory agency regulate this shit?
Why don't you just think for yourself?
>>
>>7201603
>Why doesn't the USDA or whatever regulatory agency regulate this shit?

They do, but since when has government regulation ever truly enhanced quality of an item?

Some private organizations like AWA create quality standards though they are kind of arbitrary and ethics based.

Best off checking around the nearby farmlands for people selling em. If you can literally see the hens walking around their hard pecking at bugs and stuff it's a good bet the eggs are awesome.
>>
the store
>>
>>7201680
I live in Chicago. There are no hens walking around here, just pigeons.
Its pretty bad advice to say drive around farm areas knocking on doors. Maybe one person in ten thousand can do that, the rest of us shop at the store.
That said, this is yet another case of cheap convenient things sucking and expensive, time consuming, and hassle intensive things being better.
I don't really need anyone to tell me that money solves all problems. So how can I get better eggs? I'm guessing the answer is to go to some faggy hippie store like Whole Paycheck and buy the most expensive eggs on the shelf?
>>
>>7201548
I get Born3 eggs from costco. Super tasty yolks.
>>
>>7201548
>Where do you get your favorite eggs?
From the chickens in my backyard.
>>
My insane alcoholic friend owns like 12 chickens, and i get more eggs than i can even use from him. They do legit taste much than regular stuff from the store. From what i'm told they are cheap as fuck to take care of.
>>
Grocery store?
>>
>>7201548
Chickens can lay white eggs as well. Just because you bought brown eggs doesnt mean they are orangic and free range
>>
>>7202401
Maybe it's not because they're brown. Maybe it's the big animal welfare sign or the clearly stated "from hens raised outdoors" on the package that has led OP to believe that they are free range eggs.
>>
>>7201553

are you fat or /fit/

>i must know
>>
>>7201562
>all activist about

dude the quality is so much better. It is literally like the difference between frozen concentrate OJ and not-from-concentrate OJ. Miles apart, could tell in your sleep kind of difference.

>Farm fresh is like fresh squeezed of course
>best fried egg I ever ate was 45 minutes old
>>
>>7202466
Ive heard this story from several posters and other sources, and I tend to believe the quality improvement is real.
However, city people simply CAN NOT get fresh eggs from paradise raised chickens laid one hour ago! At least not for something that isn't ridiculously overpriced.
I think you're trying to be helpful, but you are suggesting an impossible option without a second choice. Do that at your job, and find yourself fired. What I'm asking is for you people to actually be helpful.
I'm really asking what key traits I should look for on supermarket eggs that REALLY make a difference worth the price premium. Or maybe none of them are worth it, you tell me, self proclaimed experts. For those who claim to be "in the know" about the biology/chemistry of eggs and the nuances of cooking/tasting eggs, please share.
What should I look for at the store, because there are many choices.
>>
Wal-Mart.
>>
from my local island
>>
>>7202533
The choices available to you are probably not that many. There are probably less than ten different brands of eggs at my usual store. You could just buy one new brand every week, until you find one that tastes better to you, or you don't. And then you'll know for sure, instead of just taking the word of some guy on the Internet, who might be deluding himself or have wildly different preferences to yours.
>>
>live in rural town with lots of agriculture
>get eggs from guy with chickens in his backyard for 3 bucks a dozen
>eggs would often be less than an hour old when I picked them up
>move to the city less than an hour away
>farmer's market booths asking 8 dollars for their eggs
I've been spoiled and it fucking hurts

The only store bought eggs that come close to the eggs from home are Vital Farms, which are 6.50
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 125x121
>>7203205
>>
>>7201548
Backyard.
I love my 3 hens.
>>
>>7202401
White eggs are superior though and less likely to steal your wallet.
>>
>>7203207
your post is bad and you should feel bad. that post was relevant to the thread and provided useful information to people who want high quality eggs.
>>
4 boiled eggs
can of tuna n water
a picle
a quarter of small onion
salt
pepper
some mayo

cut and mix everything

my brekafast
>>
eggs from the local shop, or i get my goose or duck eggs from a small farm about three quarters of an hour away.
>>
>>7202533
>key traits I should look for on supermarket eggs

cage free/free run
natural feed/Omega 3/vegetarian feed
organic/drug free

any of those are an improvement and the more labels that apply the higher the price
>>
File: doubleyolkshead.jpg (35 KB, 720x310) Image search: [Google]
doubleyolkshead.jpg
35 KB, 720x310
>>7201548
Double Yolk are so good, can't get em anymore though?
>>
the happy egg co. eggs. Vons and Albertsons have them in my area.

best tasting eggs I've ever had
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.