[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red pill me on coconut oil. Is it really just artery clogging poison?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 25
File: coconut-oil.jpg (369 KB, 3300x2200) Image search: [Google]
coconut-oil.jpg
369 KB, 3300x2200
Red pill me on coconut oil. Is it really just artery clogging poison?
>>
>>7201157
>Red pill me on coconut oil.
reminder that not even pol allows threads like this

mods ban and delete thread
>>
>>7201161
Wow anon, you sure are getting mad about nothing.
>>
>>7201163

ill show you mad you fkn piece of shiit now come here ya mug just touch it
>>
File: 09-35-45-1442525083503.gif (330 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
09-35-45-1442525083503.gif
330 KB, 256x256
>red pill me
>>
>>7201157
Cease with your "red pill" bull hockey. It makes you sound like a try hard gender bender.
>>
>>7201161

>reminder that not even pol allows threads like this

Lol there is no moderation on /pol/.

Read the sticky, then look at the catalog. You'll be hating mods forever. Their laziness (whether intentional or not) has ruined /pol/
>>
>>7201157
makes for good lube during sexy time
>>
I got a free sample of this. I don't even know what do do with it.
>>
>>7201157
the only artery clogging poison is shortening, hydrogenated oils, trans fat, etc.

people have been eating coconut oil, butter, animal fat for literally thousands of years and they were only thought of as unhealthy when a company had to try to gain control of market shares
>>
>>7201256
Eat it with a spoon. It's only 90% saturated fat.
>>
>>7201286
Not everybody's watching their weight like you. I wouldn't care if it was 100% fat. I just want to know some things I could do with it.
>>
>>7201255
It actually does.

>>7201157
Its great for deep-frying or regular pan frying.
>>
>>7201294

Fat doesn't make you fat.
>>
>>7201157
It's a great natural moisturizer.

Food-wise, it has a high smoke point so you can use it for stir fries or deep frying. You can also substitute in baking for recipes that call for vegetable or canola oil (although depending on how much you use, you will get a hint of coconut taste in the food)
>>
i dont eat it

i use it as lube, body moisturizer, and teeth cleaner
>>
File: 1450392594267.jpg (85 KB, 615x816) Image search: [Google]
1450392594267.jpg
85 KB, 615x816
>>7201255
this is what we use. me and big earl. ass busting fun. hurts so good
>>
File: 1447988383984.png (452 KB, 477x424) Image search: [Google]
1447988383984.png
452 KB, 477x424
Bought it for my boots. Ended up just jerking off with the majority of it.
>>
Like olive oil they sell it in "virgin" forms. Extra virgin will have a very noticeable coconut taste and a lower smoke point [but still higher than extra virgin olive oil]. Plain coconut oil hardly imparts any flavor.

I like using it for certain stir fry, and to sear steak if I'm cooking it in the skillet. Also a good substitute for vegetable oil when I'm out.

I have used the extra-virgin stuff for moisturizer when I moved to a high altitude climate.
>>
>>7202823

You're free to filter it, that is of course assuiming you aren't a retarded newfag.
>>
>>7201168
Pity him, he is unable to spell.
>>
If I remember right it has the same type of fats as avocado, which is actually quite good for you (accounting for sticking within calorie limits).
Coconut oil has its uses and is far better than corn oil, or margarine in regards to health, although it may not be perfect for some things as it can sometimes impart a bit of a coconut taste.
>>
It's good for the skin if you have strechmarks/hyperpigmentations or similar skin shit you want to get rid of. I sometimes use it to cook crepes.
It gives a subtle coconut-ey flavor.
>>
>>7203135
The jury's still out on the lauric acid thing. I can't figure out what makes up the saturated fat in avocados but I doubt they're the same.

Coconut oil is 90% saturates, so if it's healthy, it's really healthy - if it's not, it's really not. Believe what you want for now.

Also, corn oil and margarine (which is usually canola and sunflower) are roughly on par with olive oil. They're all fairly good for you.
>>
>>7202837
Vaseline does a good enough job for combat boots actually. Might wanna use that coconut oil on your face or beard if you have one
>>
>>7203158
Margarine is hydrogenated fat. It no longer is canola oil or sunflower. It was chemically saturated.
>>
>>7202791
I don't prefer it for stir frying. The fat clings onto your food and makes your dish feel like a pudding.
>>
>>7203375
How much do you use? Jesus Christ, I've never had that problem. Also it should only congeal like that when it cools down so I can only assume you are using way too much or you are eating it cold.
>>
>>7201255
it does not. coconut oil eats through condoms and clogs pores. it's the new snake oil

>sexy time
Stop.
>>
>>7201157
Use it like normal oil, room temperature in my house usually keeps it in normal golden oil liquid form so I never think of it as anything different.
>>
>>7201157
It is high in saturated fat. In the past health professionals have said it is bad for you, but this was not based on controlled trials. The most recent research finds no distinction between unsaturated fats vs saturated fats in terms of mortality or the pathogenesis of vascular diseases. It is OK to eat.

Trans fats on the other hand ARE shown to increase mortality so coconut oil is better for you than margarine
>>
>>7203350
You say that like there is only one brand of margarine. It -can- be hydrogenated but it often isn't.
>>
>>7201157
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbALgjmZUek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGQxJLuVjg
>>
>>7203876
can anyone cite an article that explains why hydrogenated oil is worse than lard or butter? everything I can find reads like scaremongering with zero actual scientific explanation.
>>
>>7204226

The low-fat diet has fallen out of favor because studies have shown that people are significantly less likely to stick to them long-term than low-carb or mediterranean diet.

The human body uses up about 2000 calories per day anyway, so a tablespoon or two of olive oil per day isn't going to make you fat - in fact if you eat a good diet and aren't fat then the extra calories from olive oil are essential. For example, I eat a pot of chicken vegetable soup every day and that gives me ~70% of my nutrition (incl. protein) needs, but only about 20% of the calories necessary to maintain my weight - and that's *with* the tablespoon of olive oil.
>>
>>7201157
Coconut oil is degenerate
>>
>>7204403
> oil per day isn't going to make you fat
getting fat isn't a problem anyway, it's piss easy not to get fat while eating a plant based diet for example.
Eating a plant based diet is also the healthiest shit you can give yourself.
You can easily get fats from flax seed or walnuts / nuts. Those are good for you for sure.
>>
>>7201161
If op phrased it "the oily jew" Would this be acceptable?
>>
>>7204319
No source but I'll give you the idea: hydrogenated means more hydrogen atoms in the molecule meaning it will have higher melting point meaning it can solidify more easily in your arteries.
>>
>>7203960
>You say that like there is only one brand of margarine. It -can- be hydrogenated but it often isn't.

the hydrogenation is the process of turning a liquid oil into a semi solid chunk of margarine. unfortunately for you, the chemical companies have tricked you with science, having moved from a hydrogenation process, so that they can say "non hydro" to a new process called interesterification. This is where they use enzymes or fractioning to rearrange the amount of omega 3 6 and 9s to achieve the desired result. Jury is out on the health of that manipulation, some studies show no effect, a couple show that it causes depressed insulin response.

but nigger please dont come up in here talking about how some man made shit is healthier vs olive oil or lard/tallow.
>>
>>7203388
its good for bareback anal play though. My girlfriend and I use it for fingers during warm up for penetration but use pjur for actual ass fucking
>>
>>7204510
>more hydrogen atoms in the molecule meaning it will have higher melting point meaning it can solidify more easily in your arteries.
nope. just say "i dont know" or refrain from shitposting next time.

hydrogenation causes the formation of trans fats, which increase the LDL cholesterol (bad one) and decrease the HDL cholesterol (good). now, it is an interesting discussion to note that LDL is actually not good or bad, but rather the particle size of the LDL. watch the video here for more info.

http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/10/20/ldl-cholesterol-particle-number-particle-size-made-easy/
>>
File: fats-oils-overview.png (145 KB, 978x656) Image search: [Google]
fats-oils-overview.png
145 KB, 978x656
ok, having shit on the bad science being bandied about, i will throw my two cents in on coconut oil.

refer to the chart attached. You want to minimize your omega 6 intake. You either believe that saturated fat is fine (which i do) and use coconut oil, or that mufa is better and use olive oil (which i use when coconut oil aint a good flavor pairing). You should never ever buy any of the high omega 6 oils like corn safflower or grapeseed (not on that chart).
>>
>>7203181
>or beard
I use a specific beard oil. But coconut oil makes a good alternative. Beware of smelling delicious and wanting to eat your face.

due to the low solidifying point you can toss baking soda in it and use it as a really effective deodorant. Since it actually removes the smell of BO and not just cover it up with whatever is in that stuff.
>>
>>7204689
Hydrogenation literally refers to adding hydrogen to an unsaturated fat molecule, making it more stable. Please address the topic at hand next time.
>>
>>7203388
I use it for lube, like it more than water-based. We don't use condoms but if we did I wouldn't use it, works great otherwise. A lot smoother and less sticky. Never had any clogged pores from it.
>>
>>7204689
>hydrogenation causes the formation of trans fats
This is objectively wrong. Hydrogenation breaks down double bonds (therefore trans- double bonds) and adds hydrogen molecules to the carbohydrate chain. This makes it possible for liquid oils to be made solid.

Please do not spread misinformation. The food industry is already plagued with it.
>>
>>7204771
Baking soda + coconut oil + scented oil (pine usually) is actually what I use for deodorant. Works amazingly well and cheap as fuck.
>>
>>7205675
>>hydrogenation causes the formation of trans fats
>This is objectively wrong.
it wasnt wrong or misinformation, it was a simplification. trans fat creation is a direct side effect of hydrogenation. http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Biological_Chemistry/Lipids/Fatty_Acids/Hydrogenation_of_Unsaturated_Fats_and_Trans_Fat

In most naturally occurring unsaturated fatty acids, the hydrogen atoms are on the same side of the double bonds of the carbon chain (cis configuration — from the Latin, meaning "on the same side"). However, partial hydrogenation reconfigures most of the double bonds that do not become chemically saturated, twisting them so that the hydrogen atoms end up on different sides of the chain. This type of configuration is called trans, from the Latin, meaning "across".[45] The trans configuration is the lower energy form, and is favored when catalytically equilibrated as a side reaction in hydrogenation.

A major health concern during the hydrogenation process is the production of trans fats. Trans fats are the result of a side reaction with the catalyst of the hydrogenation process. This is the result of an unsaturated fat which is normally found as a cis isomer converts to a trans isomer of the unsaturated fat. Isomers are molecules that have the same molecular formula but are bonded together differently. Focusing on the sp2 double bonded carbons, a cis isomer has the hydrogens on the same side. Due to the added energy from the hydrogenation process, the activation energy is reached to convert the cis isomers of the unsaturated fat to a trans isomer of the unsaturated fat. The effect is putting one of the hydrogens on the opposite side of one of the carbons. This results in a trans configuration of the double bonded carbons. The human body does not recognize trans fats.
>>
i will never understand that there is a generation of people who have 'i skimmed a wiki' level of knowledge, and have no shame in trying to correct people and steer a point of view. There are literally people in this thread arguing against things that are facts you can see under a microscope.

the whole point of the thread is "is coconut oil healthy", and >>7204721 has all the information you need to make that choice for yourself.
>>
“You don’t just have to take the trans fat out. You need to know what new ingredients to put in,” pointed out Au Bon Pain’s Master Baker Harold Midttun. “And you have to do it without the customer noticing.” In the company’s plain muffin batter, for instance, Midttun replaced hydrogenated oil shortening with liquid canola oil, but that changed the resulting texture and reduced the batter’s nine-week freezer life. Midttun used a monoglyceride to restore freezer life, added soy protein, oat bran, and ground flax for texture, and changed the method of leavening. Each step was a matter of trial and error. Said Midttun, “We removed one ingredient—the shortening—and had to add six to replace it.” These kinds of complex solutions, involving artificial stews of multiple ingredients, were necessary for most food product reformulations but, it must be said, they would not have been if the food industry had just been using butter, lard, or tallow all along. The Oreo cookie was a particular headache for Kraft Nabisco.IX With its creamy white middle sandwiched between two crisp chocolate wafers, the Oreo cookie is what is known in the business as a “marquee” or “heritage” brand. Messing with such a product incurs the risk of alienating customers. Change can be dangerous (remember New Coke!). “An Oreo has to taste like an Oreo,” said Kris Charles, an executive at the company. The creamy white filling had originally been made with lard, but the campaigns against animal fats in the mid-1990s had pushed the company to use partially hydrogenated oils instead. Now Kraft was having difficulty removing that oil without the option of returning to lard. With one recipe they tried, the creamy middle melted during shipping. And the chocolate wafers tended to break.
>>
>>7205846
There are likely people still confused on what fats and versions of fats are actually healthy.

As far as I can tell, I have no fucking clue.
>>
File: 1362091813154.jpg (57 KB, 497x301) Image search: [Google]
1362091813154.jpg
57 KB, 497x301
To understand interesterification, there’s yet another detail about fat chemistry to know. All fatty acid chains are bound in packs of three, bound together by a “glycerol” molecule at their base, like a pitchfork. These pitchforks are the triglycerides that we’ve learned about: the fats floating around in our blood stream which, at high levels, are a risk factor for heart disease. Interesterification works by swapping around the order of the tines (fatty acid chains) on the pitchfork. But it’s an inexact science, as Gil Leveille explained. “Interesterification is akin to hitting something with a sledgehammer, because you randomly distribute all the fatty acids on the glycerol. It produces a lot of new triglycerides,” many of which we know nothing about. As of 2013, the process of interesterifying fats was still too expensive to be the preferred option for most food operations, but they are now being widely used. Leveille and others are therefore nervous about the health implications: “We just don’t know,” he judges. “It could be another trans lurking; we really need to look at it and understand it.” And of course, in the same way that consumers didn’t know that they were eating trans fats, they now don’t know they’re eating interesterified fats, because they are listed on the food label simply as “oil”
>>
>>7206053
>>7205908
What should I learn here? My food is scary and I probably eat worse in the first world than a thirds worlder does when they have access to food?
>>
>>7201157
>artery clogging poison?
sounds like you've been blue pilled actually. coconut oil is the most useful food on the planet
>>
>>7205846
you just described yourself actually
>>
>>7206140
>you just described yourself actually
why did you say that? what in anything that i posted would you like to take issue with? I am prepared to richly defend any claim i have made. Hell, i even teased ldl particle size, which is the only real argument to be had on any of this, and if you are knowledgeable and intellectually honest, both sides are undefended by current science.
>>
File: tonga.jpg (87 KB, 739x600) Image search: [Google]
tonga.jpg
87 KB, 739x600
>>7201259
>the only artery clogging poison is shortening, hydrogenated oils, trans fat, etc.
>people have been eating coconut oil, butter, animal fat for literally thousands of years and they were only thought of as unhealthy when a company had to try to gain control of market shares
Well, yes, to some degree yes, food police initially came down hard of partially hydrogenated coconut and palm oils, which is essentially the bad trans fat kind of shortenings, but if you look at diets that use it the traditional way, then you'll see some really horrendous obesity too. I disagree to the source of it all as wikipedia states, because it's been a pacific norm going back 200 years, on diets that consisted of fish, boar, tubers and rice, and coconuts, mainly. We know fish isn't the problem, so yea...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_Pacific
>>
>>7205840
ok but why is trans fat worse than regular saturated fat? everything I find on the subject is just "it's bad because it's unnatural" or "it's bad compared to unsaturated fat." don't explain how it's made or how the molecule is different, explain why that difference is worse for you than other kinds of ft.
>>
File: 1444562117567.png (139 KB, 978x656) Image search: [Google]
1444562117567.png
139 KB, 978x656
>>7204226
what about being vegan and only using canola oil?
>>
File: 41p2y5CWqQL.jpg (16 KB, 500x159) Image search: [Google]
41p2y5CWqQL.jpg
16 KB, 500x159
>>7206928
i think gmos are fine and that the appeal to nature arguments are dumb because they are never any substance in any of them. its only circle logic with them. As far as i understand, saturated fats are bad and oils in general are not healthy.But for me its minimizing the risks and posing questions like this >>7207386 because i love to cook in oils because it tastes great. Its like being a corpse eater and only eating lean meats because they know its bad for them but its the best of the worst.
>>
>redpill me
Google an online sailing shop
Get the strongest dyneema rope there is
Tie it around your neck and a tree
Step in your car and accelerate full throttle
>>
>>7208519
Fuck off cry baby.
>>
>>7208519
interesting suicide method pham
is there any chance of it failing?
>>
>>7208675
It's like a normal hanging except the force of a car engine is several times stronger than the force of gravity on your body so it's more effective.
So effective it's almost like a guillotine, a rope suitable for open sea sailing will easily behead you since those ropes are nigh-unbreakable for a normal car.

You will also make the news
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1042676/Businessman-uses-Aston-Martin-decapitate-horrific-suicide-revenge-ex-wife.html
>>
>>7208683
If you're 120 kg and your car is 1200 kg then the car going 15 km/h will have as much energy as a 16 meter drop.
It's way more effective than a normal hanging.
>>
>>7206128
yes. eat like a third-worlder who has food. it's not fun but you won't die as young.
>>
>>7208830
Bog water and decaying orange peels it is then.
>>
>>7207386
>what about being vegan and only using canola oil
most would agree that olive oil is better than canola oil. Remember that there are two grades of olive oil, you would use an unblended light olive oil for cooking. extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke point and turns bitter when cooked.
>>
File: chickens.jpg (427 KB, 1279x941) Image search: [Google]
chickens.jpg
427 KB, 1279x941
>>7206928
>ok but why is trans fat worse than regular saturated fat? everything I find on the subject is just "it's bad because it's unnatural" or "it's bad compared to unsaturated fat." don't explain how it's made or how the molecule is different

the answer to this, if i am being honest is that we arent sure why. We know that trans fats dont exist in quantity in nature, so our enzymes and immune system are not setup for it the way it is with other fats. We know that in human and animal studies, trans fats cause a sharp increase in ldl (which isnt bad in itself) and a reduction of HDL. The problem is that LDL is actually a number of different particles, not all of which we understand. We know that larger fat particles in the blood are 'better' and LDL-A is a very large particle, and is not considered a problem, whereas LDL-B and C are small particles which can cause 'plaque'. atherosclerotic is the word you will want to google on for more information.

For about 10,000 years the human diet was mostly raw plant and animal. With farming and food processing we have shifted further away from that diet we evolved to. Between 1950 and 1970 a number of scientists came to believe there was a strong correlation between saturated fat and heart disease. Many now believe that was bad science and point to the massive obesity, diabetes and autoimmune disease epidemic in the past 30 years as proof. lots of papers and books out there, you can start with Joel Fuhrman and Gary Taubes books for good basic information on that point of view.

For me and my family, we eat a diet that is a low carb, high fat diet, getting around 100-150g of protien a day from every meat we can get. We prefer grassfed/finished beef and pork, and i grow my own chickens. We eat a lot of nuts, olives and avocado. it works for us, and our blood tests are better than the majority of Americans. Get your blood tested, try it for six months and see for yourself.
>>
>>7209088
>and our blood tests are better than the majority of Americans
That's really not very hard to do when 2/3rd of all Americans are overweight.

Most diets will work out to be better than average provided you're not stuffing yourself with junk or undereating like an anorexic.
>>
>>7203158
this guys post is wrong
>>
>>7205711
I know this will sound stupid, but I am extremely interested in this.

recipe?
>>
File: Fats-Infographic.jpg (211 KB, 800x631) Image search: [Google]
Fats-Infographic.jpg
211 KB, 800x631
According to the american heart assosication it's BAD. Just don't cook with it all the time, once in a while will not harm you.
>>
File: avocado-oil.jpg (33 KB, 320x210) Image search: [Google]
avocado-oil.jpg
33 KB, 320x210
>>7203135
>avocado
No, they are completely different. Avocado is mostly mono-unsaturated fat, very similar to olives. It is very healthy. Also, avocado oil is amazing to cook with, one of the highest smoke points of all cooking oils. Coconut oil is saturated fat.
>>
>>7204510
>hydrogenated means more hydrogen atoms in the molecule meaning it will have higher melting point
That makes no fucking sense, stop talking out of your ass
>>
>>7204319
http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3978

tl;dr meta study in britain says trans fat is worse for you than saturated fat

Also there are at least 15 articles that say saturated fat isn't worse than unsaturated fat
>>
>>7209064
okay but you haven't told me anything. what do you mean its better, can you explain?
>>
>>7203388
>condoms
Get your girl on some birth control and forget that restrictive shit.
>>
>>7204674
It's not a trick. They've moved away from a process that has proven to be unhealthy to something else that we hope is healthy. Just because we make mistakes doesn't mean we oughta just give up.

There's nothing inherent in man made products that preclude them from being as good as or healthier than "natural" ones.
>>
File: efacontentoils.png (25 KB, 317x278) Image search: [Google]
efacontentoils.png
25 KB, 317x278
>>7210024
>okay but you haven't told me anything. what do you mean its better, can you explain?
look higher where i posted the chart with the various contents of oil. You want to maximize omega 3, minimize omega 6 and if so inclined, minimize saturated fat vs unsaturated. your o3:o6 intake is a ratio. the better the 3:6 ratio, without a doubt, the better/healthier it is by all known science. remember that the ratio AND the quantity is important. canola is a 9:20 vs olive oil which is 1:8 vs butter at 1:2. your goal is to minimize o6 intake and take in as many o3s as possible. look at fish oil and flax seed, they are the clear champions, but taste horrible and have physical properties that make them bad for baking.

>>7210216
>They've moved away from a process that has proven to be unhealthy to something else that we hope is healthy.
the problem with your logic is that you are HOPING that chemically stripping and manipulating certain fats to make them shelf stable and semi solid is healthy vs transfat which 30 years later we now know causes massive plaque and inflammation. We have lard, butter and tallow which requires ZERO chemical manipulation, and oh by the way, was what your body evolved to process in large quantities, which imho is the definition of healthy/good-for-you. Feel free to continue to HOPE you are making healthy choices, i will continue to buy high quality coconut and olive oils, grass fed butter and making leaf lard.

(i do agree that man-made does not mean good/bad, and am a fan of MCT oil's ability to modify insulin and ketones, noting that it requires processing to get in high quantities)
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/18/2/96.short
>>
>>7201157
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up. You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up. You put the lime in the coconut and call the doctor woke him up
I said Doctor! Is there nothing I can take
I said Doctor! To relieve this bellyache
I said Doctor! Is there nothing I can take
I said Doctor! To relieve this bellyache
>>
>>7210193
it also fucks up the ph of ones vagina.

just fucking buy lube instead of raw honey cinnamon acai berry apple cider vinegar
>>
>>7210326
why do the ratios matter? isn't overall saturated fat content the most important?
>>
>>7210193

You know how that bullshit goes.

"Oh, I thought I took the pill!" etc etc.
>>
>>7210422
Then just freeze your kids, and tie your tubes. No more worrying.
>>
>>7210359
>why do the ratios matter? isn't overall saturated fat content the most important?
ill give you the benifit of the doubt that you arent just asking lazy questions. There isnt really a known answer, other than if you are not somewhere between 1:1 and 4:1, you dun goofd. Some of todays modern popular oils make it very easy to get to 15:1, which we all agree is no beuno.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_of_fatty_acids_in_different_foods

"Once in the body, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids follow parallel pathways, continually competing with each other for chemical conversion to various structures and molecules inside and outside the cells. Given this mechanism, it makes sense that the two fats might be required in approximately equal amounts."[3] Susan Allport writes that "While no one knows what the optimal ratio in the diet is for these two families of fats, the current (and recommended) ratio in Japan is associated with a very low incidence of heart and other diseases. A dietary ratio of 4:1 produces almost a 1:1 ratio of HUFAs in cell membranes."
>>
>>7210359
>isn't overall saturated fat content the most important?
i didnt answer this, because i dont know the answer, and neither does anyone else. The science isnt deterministic yet. For ME and MY HOUSE i choose to believe that the hunter-gatherer evolution of the human organism was setup to happily eat saturated fats

March 20, 2014 -- Saturated fats have long been called ''bad fats'' for their effect on the heart. But a new analysis calls into question whether they're really that bad after all.
There is some common ground. All agree that dietary fat is just one factor that drives heart disease risk. Paying attention to the other factors is also important.

WebMD asked a study co-author, a cardiologist, a nutrition expert, and the American Heart Association to elaborate.

Grocery Smarts: Fat Foods, Fit Foods
What did the analysis look at and find?

Researchers looked at 72 published studies on fats and heart disease. The studies involved more than 600,000 people from 18 countries. They looked at whether different fats helped or hurt your heart. The different fats included:

Saturated fats (found in meats, whole-fat dairy products, and baked goods)
Polyunsaturated fats, such as omega-3 and omega-6 (found in fish, nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils)
Monounsaturated fats (found in olive and canola oils)
Trans fats (found in fried foods and baked goods, and being phased out of the food supply)

The surprise? Saturated fats, long thought to raise heart disease risks, had no effect. Neither did monounsaturated fats, which are thought to help the heart, says study researcher Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Which fats did have an effect? Trans fats, known to raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, were linked with a higher risk of heart disease, as expected. Omega-3s from food helped. Omega-6s appeared to help.
>>
>>7210839
this is interesting but i'm still skeptical. i'd like to believe that all of this is right but i am actually sold on the idea that least saturated fats the better. I like to think of saturated fats as if you were smoking in moderation, of course its bad for you but in moderation you are doing damage control. I can't possibly think why saturated fats in moderation or in small amounts would be good for you. The fats ratios thing i think is on even more shaky ground considering even in your quotes they say themselves that they do not know much about it. Anyways i don't see harm in subscribing to the ideas about the fat ratios even though not much research has been done. How important really do these people think that i should sprinkle some flax seed in my protein shakes?
>>
>>7210949
>i'd like to believe that all of this is right but i am actually sold on the idea that least saturated fats the better.
i'm not here to convert folks on that one way or the other. i think its difficult to know for sure, and you have to use blood tests to prove it to yourself, which is what my wife and i both did. n=2 was enough for me when it lined up with my logical hypothesis

>the fats ratios thing i think is on even more shaky ground
The ratio of 1:1 to 4:1 is very solid science and has very strong data. What is sketchy is *why* and what is optimal. another factor that is impossible to manage is the quality of fats you are getting from your protein sources. We eat a lot of pastured beef and pork, but at least 50% of our protein comes from unknown situations which bring along an impossible to know level of saturated vs unsaturated fats. If i was truely concerned about unsaturated fats, i would have to be a lot more picky/expensive in my meat selection. You can get eggs with omega 3s in them, around here the brand is 'eggsland best'. They feed flax seed to the chickens and it goes right into the fat of the yolk. each egg has around 250mg of o3, which is good stuff and ez.
>>
>>7211037
That is a ribeye next to a dry aged t-bone, the fuck.
>>
File: beefcomparison.jpg (117 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
beefcomparison.jpg
117 KB, 500x375
>>7211159
hard to find exact cuts lined up like that. ask any butcher about grass fed vs corn finished and they will tell you corn finished has tons of marbling, but to my point, the color and hardness of the fat is markedly different. i have a full size deep freezer and regularly buy half cows. ive seen 1000s of pounds of grass fed beef, and it is leaner and softer yellow fat than the cornfinished counterpart
>>
File: hfghdfhdfgh.png (44 KB, 605x510) Image search: [Google]
hfghdfhdfgh.png
44 KB, 605x510
>>
File: grass-vs-grain-fed-meat.jpg (58 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
grass-vs-grain-fed-meat.jpg
58 KB, 500x375
you get the idea. feel free to google image search if you want to see more
>>
>tfw I can't have diary
>tfw I found out about coconut milk ice cream
>tfw I thought I found new light
>tfw I found out it's less healthy than regular milk

Fug me.
>>
>>7204674
Often these products that advertise as non-hydrogenated are just mixes of oil and butter, also nice appeal to nature faggot, plenty of stuff that we can make artificially is much better than how it is found in nature. Would you suggest we all eat willow bark like a bunch of retards instead of aspirin in convenient salt form?
>>
>>7211200
That one is upside down and trimmed, compared to the cut on the left, focus on arguments about fat composition instead of smoke and mirrors please, you're embarrassing yourself
>>
File: 729545-hadoken.jpg (62 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
729545-hadoken.jpg
62 KB, 650x366
>>7211235
>That one is upside down and trimmed,
go ahead and find some side by side comparison pictures that meet your strict criteria then, i posted what i could find to explain my point. your comments dont change the fact that the fat quality in corn finished beef is wildly different.
>>7211224
>Often these products that advertise as non-hydrogenated are just mixes of oil and butter,
why dont you name a few products doing that, since butter based products have an immensely reduced shelf life, its going to be difficult for any mass marketed food product to use butter. im not sure what an appeal to nature is, must be some fedora tipping buzzword. Any time you are making chemicals that don't exist in nature, your body wasn't designed for it, you need to be skeptical about that. asprin is a great example of something that isnt in your food chain, and has a radical effect on your bodys immune system. lucky for us, its positive, but its undeniably health altering. you came to this thread to make a one liner troll comment, which adds about as much as "that steak isnt trimmed the same" dude. thanks for stopping by, now move along.
>>
>>7210458
>>7210422
actually just keep a heat pad on your testes for a few hours and you're sterile for a day or two.
>>
>>7211217
There's always the soy, almond, and rice varieties.
>>
>>7203876
>The most recent research finds no distinction between unsaturated fats vs saturated fats in terms of mortality or the pathogenesis of vascular diseases.

http://cspinet.org/nah/pdfs/big-fat-myths-december-2015.pdf

>“The overall conclusion is therefore that while saturated-fat restriction appears to reduce heart attack risk, it does not reduce overall or cardiovascular mortality (death), which is arguably the more important end point,” she opines. Sloppy, yes. (The BMJ had to run a correction.) But is she right about death rates?

>“There’s almost no medical intervention that will affect overall mortality unless it has a huge effect on one or more very frequent causes of death,” explains Martijn Katan, a cardiovascular disease expert and emeritus professor of nutrition at Vrije University in Amsterdam. “For instance, wearing a seatbelt, treating disease with antibiotics, or using an ambulance to pick up people who have been in an accident obviously saves lives, but it doesn’t show up in overall mortality rates because the number of deaths it saves is simply not large enough.” Likewise, “the number of fatal heart attacks during most studies is too small to see a difference in cardiovascular mortality,” adds Katan.

>Bottom line: Don’t be swayed by ill-informed arguments about death rates.
>>
>>7212726
*****never*** quote or read anything from cspi again. They are a highly politicized lobby group, not a research institution, and do nothing but write checks to push their agenda. " a public advocacy action center " should not be a source of science in your life. I actually agree with some of their positions and im still shitting on them. listen to this from their own about page
> CSPI has long sought to educate the public, advocate government policies that are consistent with scientific evidence on health and environmental issues, and counter industry’s powerful influence on public opinion and public policies.

If you want to read some interesting civilian level science on unsaturated vs saturated, look for a book called "Cholesterol Clarity" which is a pretty good explanation of how fats work, how current medical science measures and treats health and such. It is written by pro-saturated fat people, so consider it a biased source. ive loaned it to a few people who all said it was a very easy read
>>
>>7213001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_the_well

The point still stands that all-cause mortality is a very messy outcome and should be interpreted with extreme caution.

>Cholesterol Clarity
I've read that book and found it to be full of easily refuted crackpottery. What arguments do you find particularly convincing?
>>
>>7213053
>found it to be full of easily refuted crackpottery.
why dont you go ahead and throw out three key points of crackpottery then. I lifted that book up as a biased source of information on current science on unsat vs sat fat. Lets hear more about your drive by discrediting of this book.
>>
File: shame.jpg (16 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
16 KB, 403x403
http://www.mrc.org/special-reports/supersized-bias

and ill just leave this here. you sack of shit quoting wikipedia rhetoric articles to me after you fucking quote cspi as goddamn science. you are reddit-tier keyboard hero whos knowledge does not extend beyond a mongolian anime board.
>>
enjoy this press release from the 1980s when you were still a twinkle in dads eye where your mighty CSPI came out strongly in favor of replacing tallow and butter with transfat. You werent alive when these idiots raised enough stink to get McDonalds to replace tallow with soybean oil. jesus h christ you are young and dumb. keep studing rhetoric articles on wiki while the adults talk about real shit that actually matters.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+truth+about+trans%3A+hydrogenated+oils+aren't+guilty+as+charged.-a06482599
>Although some human studies suggest that trans fats do raise blood cholesterol, most of these had serious flaws.
>As for processed foods, you're better off choosing products made with hydrogenated soybean, corn, or cottonseed oil than those containing butter, lard, beef fat, or palm, palm kernel, or coconut oil. But you're even better off cutting back on total fat. That may reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease and should help keep your waistline within reasonable limits. And it will make concern over trans fats the small issue it should be.

COPYRIGHT 1988 Center for Science in the Public Interest
>>
>>7203375
lol fatty
>>
Saturated fats are good if they come from a clean, healthy source.

The entire debate around whether the fats are healthy is to distract from the fact that we don't demand better food quality.

There's a world of difference between grass-fed butter and non-grass fed butter, for example.
>>
>>7213178
>why dont you go ahead and throw out three key points of crackpottery then.

sure

(1) saturated fat is harmless
(2) ldl-c is useless
(3) statins do nothing and are all part of a conspiracy by big pharma to scam money out of people

here's a short review by two nobelists giving evidence against these points

http://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(15)00079-3.pdf

and a more in depth one that is also pretty good

http://www.jlr.org/content/45/9/1583.long
http://www.jlr.org/content/46/2/179.long
http://www.jlr.org/content/46/10/2037.long
http://www.jlr.org/content/47/1/1.long
http://www.jlr.org/content/47/7/1339.long
>>
>>7213186
>>7213210

Why so salty? That wiki article was linked to help you understand the fallacy you're making. If you lack the science education to address the actual arguments and can only fling shit at the source, don't bother posting at all. It just makes you look retarded.
>>
File: 1444119369501.jpg (20 KB, 542x403) Image search: [Google]
1444119369501.jpg
20 KB, 542x403
>>7213557
>3) statins do nothing and are all part of a conspiracy by big pharma to scam money out of people

so you didnt actually read that chapter. thats what i expected. you didnt read it, you skimmed the table of contents. there is an entire chapter that says "you could modify your diet and lifestyle and avoid needing to take statins", which you present in this thread as "do nothing and pharma scam". yawn

>Should Anyone Be Taking a Statin Drug? One of the experts I interviewed for this book is a highly respected lipidologist named Dr. Thomas Dayspring. Full disclosure: He is on the Speaker’s Bureau of the pharmaceutical companies AstraZeneca, Reliant, Abbott, Merck, Schering-Plough, and Sanofi-Aventis, and is a consultant for Abbott and Reliant. He is therefore not adverse to statins and he falls into the camp that thinks side effects are minimal. But even he believes that lifestyle should be the first step to improving heart health and cholesterol numbers. “Most of the time, changes in your diet and lifestyle can be huge,”

>The bottom line? If you have high cholesterol but have no heart disease and have never experienced a heart attack, there is no compelling evidence that you should be taking a statin drug. Indeed, it may do you more harm than good. Before you take a statin, make sure you have exhausted any and all natural dietary and lifestyle options.

Moore, Jimmy; Westman, Eric C. (2013-08-25). Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?
>>
i wonder which wiki fallacy you will post to refute the fact that you didnt read the book you seem to be so sure is full of crackpottery

also cell.com reference betrays your status as a college student. you are young, and speak with authority based on skimmed articles and a weak understanding. you cite wiki links when you are discovered to be using the worlds largest food industry lobbyist for science and now you complain about reasonable sources based on your review of the table of contents. I am looking forward to how you rationalize the fact that the statin chapter ends with the "the bottom line" quote, showing you failed reading comprehension completely, or didnt read the book at all, more likely.

the point of the thread is to discuss the reasons for and against coconut oil. you have contributed shill links to a lobbyist and a few reviews of the state of science on atherosclerosis from 10-15 years ago. What do you have to gain from pretending to be a subject matter expert on the internet? you are a fraud and a bozo, i've shown it twice now in nonsense you've said. stop posting.
>>
>>7213681
Is that the only part of the book you've read? My post was in reference to Jimmy's (scientifically invalid) opinion that statins are worthless. Not that mainstream lifestyle modification advice (exercise, reduce saturated fat and processed foods, increase consumption of whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, and fish) isn't better. Maybe you should take your own advice and actually read the rest of the book before embarrassing yourself any further.
>>
>>7213772
Your entire post is full of childish insults and emotional statements. I'd like to ask you to separate them from the actual arguments.
>>
is it true that polyunsaturated fatty acid is estrogenic? I heard that eating food like flax and soy can lower your testosterone.
>>
>>7201157

pls don't eat it. It is really hard on your body's digestive system. It's for lotion, not food.
>>
>>7213942
>s that the only part of the book you've read? My post was in reference to Jimmy's (scientifically invalid) opinion that statins are worthless.

you said the book was full of nonsense, i asked to you name a few things. you stated that the book said " statins do nothing and are all part of a conspiracy " i quoted you the last paragraph of the statin chapter that specific says the same thing your jlr articles say, diet and lifestyle have a bigger effect than statins. You responded with nonsense and now qualify your written statements with "what i was referring to" attacking the author of the book rather than the content of the book, which is what you attempted to discredit with your drive by. you, for the third time itt, have been shown to be a young and inexperienced person who can't admit when they overextended themselves and their argument. why dont you just admit that you aren't sure. you have been so excited to get the attention of someone, instead of being ignored, as people do to you at college, because you are a fedora tipping pseudo intellectual. i regret giving you that attention. i had hoped you had a contribution, but after catching you shilling nonsense three times, you continue to post nonsense and not even address the obvious contradictions in your posts.
>>
File: 1447960706710.jpg (46 KB, 488x480) Image search: [Google]
1447960706710.jpg
46 KB, 488x480
>>7202834
No way this little shit can eat a sandwich this big.
>>
>>7202497
True, they should call them lipids, all these new fat-free products tastes disgusting.
>>
File: gr_essential_fat.gif (7 KB, 493x289) Image search: [Google]
gr_essential_fat.gif
7 KB, 493x289
>>7207386
Neither that butter not that beef dripping is from grass-fed cattle though.
>>
>>7207416
the farming practices involved in GMOs production are harmful to the diversity of crops and, since GMOs are patented, they allow the corporation responsible to run out of business adjacent farms with lawsuits thus producing for them a monopoly.
>>
>>7208838
kek
>>
>>7215439
this is fine with me actually, a lot of the negative side is constantly shown by concerned people like you but the positive far out weighs any negative. GMOs have saved hundred of millions of lives. The patent system is at falt here if anything so you should take that up with the overseers you are under. Government is always the problem, not peaceful people acting voluntarily.
>>
File: nolike.png (355 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
nolike.png
355 KB, 500x628
>>7201161
>>
>>7214904
>you said the book was full of nonsense
It objectively is.

> i asked to you name a few things
I did. Instead of maturely addressing all of them you've only managed to make a series of redundant cringeworthy ramblings expressing your personal dislike of the third. I can understand your emotional attachment to the cholesterol confusion - after all you're physically addicted to eating shitty food - but please don't flood this board with insane garbage.

>i quoted you the last paragraph of the statin chapter that specific says the same thing your jlr articles say, diet and lifestyle have a bigger effect than statins.
Nice try, dumbfuck. Keep grasping at straws. The book considers the net effect of statins to be zero. It has an obvious anti-pharma agenda and you quoting some irrelevant part of it out of context doesn't change this.

>You responded with nonsense
I called out your bullshit and explained why you were wrong. Cry harder. Your inability to read is not my problem.

>now qualify your written statements with "what i was referring to"
Nah kid, I had to clarify what I wrote because of your illiteracy. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you might understand it a second time but I see now that I grossly overestimated your verbal intelligence.

>attacking the author of the book rather than the content of the book which is what you attempted to discredit with your drive by
Never attacked him. I don't know what kind of delusional disorder you're suffering from, but you should seriously consider taking your meds right now.
>>
>>7214904
>>7216377
>you, for the third time itt, have been shown to be a young and inexperienced person who can't admit when they overextended themselves and their argument. why dont you just admit that you aren't sure. you have been so excited to get the attention of someone, instead of being ignored, as people do to you at college, because you are a fedora tipping pseudo intellectual.
Your projections are hilarious. Keep em coming. Tell us all about your insecurities.

>i regret giving you that attention. i had hoped you had a contribution, but after catching you shilling nonsense three times, you continue to post nonsense and not even address the
Please look up the definition of "contribution", "shilling", and "nonsense" in a dictionary. Those words don't mean what you think they mean.

>obvious contradictions in your posts.
Wrong again. The only obvious contradiction here is why you aren't yet banned. 4chan is 18+ and your mental age is that of a toddler.
>>
File: 1431816113567.gif (3 MB, 252x263) Image search: [Google]
1431816113567.gif
3 MB, 252x263
>>7216385
>>7216377
>>
>>7211773
I recognize your intelligent postings here and there. And I love you. Keep up the good work!
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.