[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PIE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: banana-cream-pie-slice[1].jpg (365 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
banana-cream-pie-slice[1].jpg
365 KB, 1200x1200
Can we get a pie thread going? I'm addicted to it since I made my pecan and pumpkin thanksgiving standards. Now I want to make everyone's favorite pie and the most requested has been banana cream, with key lime in second and apple and cherry tied for third most requested.

Post favorite pies, recipes, links, videos, tips. Anything pie related is welcome here!
>>
One of the best tips I've ever gotten with regard to making pies is not to drop them on the floor. But the advice has some crossover application in many other forms of cooking.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
This is the pie I made last week, it was delicious! Homemade Saskatoon berry filling, and I've nailed pastry from scratch ^_^
>>
File: Tarte_tatin.jpg (975 KB, 1227x1024) Image search: [Google]
Tarte_tatin.jpg
975 KB, 1227x1024
Does upside down count? Made Tarte Tatin a few days ago, mine came out not quite as good looking as the pic but that's pretty much the only thing that can go wrong, it was damn tasty. Apples, butter, sugar and puff pastry is all you need. Just google for recipes, there's a bunch.
>>
File: Decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie.jpg (167 KB, 1007x545) Image search: [Google]
Decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie.jpg
167 KB, 1007x545
Pecan pie is underrated
>>
>>7184562
>key lime
This is amazing when homemade. I bake 2 at a time, and then pop into the freezer. They are awesome sliced frozen as well as cold. Anyway, you don't buy bottled juice....
Buy the green net bag of key limes (usually from mexico). Squeeze until you get the right amount of juice, and use the zest of 2-3.
A couple of egg yolks gets stirred into the sweetened condensed milk with your juice, and pour into the cooled but baked crust which is a box of smashed graham crackers sugar and real butter for the crust. I prefer a glass pyrex pie because they're slightly deepdish.
In the past, I've made calamondin pie with the traditional key lime recipe. Feel free to grate in a couple kumquats for the same kind of "hrm, what is that citrus?" compliments.

For wow verions of Pecan Pie recipes, consider a kentucky derby pie rather than pecan, or the pillsbury "mystery" pecan pie recipe.

Starfruit makes a gorgeous upside down cake, and can be graced with raspberries, pomegranate seeds for color in the glaze that forms.

Rather than banana cream pie, consider the brit version banofee pie, and make the caramel toffee homemade! Shortbread crust is nice with that and isn't that hard, but a digestive crust is less sweet...if you can't find them use the cheap not-so-sweet Maria galleta cookies in the latino section. Do not attempt any banana pie if you don't buy the fruit enough ahead to be sweet.

For a weird apple, think half apple/half mincemeat with a good dose of bourbon.

This year, I'm doing strawberry trifle with ungodly amounts of cream sherry No pie.
>>
File: ccp.jpg (44 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
ccp.jpg
44 KB, 1000x563
>>7184609
pee can too sweet for me, famalam

who /coconutcream/ master race here?
>>
File: l1_23070-rijstevlaai.jpg (107 KB, 464x309) Image search: [Google]
l1_23070-rijstevlaai.jpg
107 KB, 464x309
My favorite is rice pudding pie, rijstevlaai, served with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. I especially like the fact it uses a yeast dough. Transferring short pastry into tins kills me.
>>
>>7184652
Mom is that you?
>>
>>7184655
Bruh that looks like a quesadilla
>>
>>7184587
the filling looks good and you didn't burn the crust at all, it just needs to be a bit tidier but I'm sure it tasted awesome.

What is saskatoon berry?
>>
>>7184655
That sounds really interesting. I've had rice pudding in a tart crust, but never tried lining a tart pan with a yeast dough. You blind bake it first I assume?
>>
>>7184676
Also known as the Service /Sarvice Berry.
>>
>>7184628
>smashed graham crackers sugar and real butter for the crust

You were doing okay up until then. It's not exactly hard to make a shortcrust pastry you know.
>>
>>7184739
Key lime pie pretty much always uses a graham cracker crust though. Do you even Florida?

Lemon tart gets short crust, key lime gets graham. It's just the way of the world.
>>
What kind of pie has a fluffy but dense white middle, with chocolate shavings on top , graham cracker crust, thinly peaches on the crust between it and the fluffy stuff, and sliced cherries on top?
>>
File: Derby pie 2.jpg (898 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
Derby pie 2.jpg
898 KB, 3888x2592
Derby pie is the best pie, no contest. Dark chocolate, walnuts, and bourbon? Fuck yeah.
>>
>>7184758
>Do you even Florida?

Thank God, no.
>>
>>7184680

Yeast doughs are not porous, unlike short pastry, so you don't need to blind bake. It won't significantly absorb moisture. Another advantage.

Does need a bit more rolling out though (unless you can do it in the air like a pizza, which I can't) because it's so elastic.

Here's a recipe :

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/recipe-rice-pie-limburgse-rijstevlaai/

I use a lower temperature though, gives me a little more leeway before it goes as dark as his one did.
>>
>>7184796
>Yeast doughs are not porous, unlike short pastry, so you don't need to blind bake. It won't significantly absorb moisture. Another advantage.
I was more worried about it being soggy or under cooked on the bottom. I think I'll try that out tonight. It looks like I have all the ingredients for it.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.