[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would one go about expanding knowledge of cooking? Having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: pigonpig.jpg (194 KB, 2048x1117) Image search: [Google]
pigonpig.jpg
194 KB, 2048x1117
How would one go about expanding knowledge of cooking?

Having a prep year for a masters course so I've got quite a bit of spare time and want to get better at cooking in general. I already enjoy cooking and cook everything from scratch where possible (from /fit/ so food is a huge part of my life), but how do I get to the next level?

Had a look at amateur cooking courses but most are either a single day thing or a full blown college course. Any ideas /ck/?

Pic not really related, my favorite meal, pig wrapped in more pig.
>>
>>7159812

>how would one go about expanding knowledge of cooking

Cook more.

Also start threads on /ck/ about how you're cooking something in an obviously wrong manner. The drunk pros will come out of the woodwork to tell you how they would do.

>from /fit/ so food is a huge part of my life

Heh.
>>
Pick foods you like to eat, look up the recipe, and cook them. Fuck it up the first time. Make it again and fuck it up less. Eventually get it right.

Learn your basics: measurements, knife technique, cooking methods.
>>
>>7159834
Cook every day, usually my dinner is where I put the effort in. Just feel like I'm stagnating a little.

>>7159839
Yeah, that's usually how I do things at the moment, haven't had any disasters yet...

>>7159843
Pretty good idea to be fair, assuming I can apply this to other foods too? Vegetables? Meat?
>>
The best way in my opinion is to just trawl through cuisine pages on wikipedia. I've been introduced to around 85% of my favourite dishes this way so it's a good idea also works in surprising both the people you cook for and yourself in different flavours.
That's assuming you have proficiency with the basics.
>>
>>7159812
Try out the book "The Improvisational Cook"
>>
>>7159862
Will do.

>>7159865
I'll look into it!
>>
What helped me a lot was looking at popular recipes online, taking bits and pieces from them, and merging them together to make my own recipes. It takes a lot of trial and error at first but it'll help you with improvisation down the road.
>>
>>7159843
The problem I can see with this is that trial and error is a terrible way to develop things without a decent base. If they cook half as bad as a lot of the shit I see from there, they could cook all day every day using that method and still be cooking shitty when they die.
If they have an OK palate to begin with, and decent enough sense of taste to remember flavors and accurately imagine new combinations to test, it would work well. A lot of people can't do that, though.
>>
>>7159812
Get cooking "As a Skill" down

like proper knife techniques and how to deglaze n such
>>
>>7159843
Great for seasoning an egg but not all foods are eggs... :/
>>
>>7161199
What he's saying, is to do a Jamie Oliver.

Be a completely fucking shit cook, but make it not matter because you're going to destroy every single flavor by throwing spices at it anyway
>>
>>7159812
Don't leave the pan too hot. That's a mistake lots of people make. Once the pan has become hot and the water is at boiling point, or if the food you're frying is sizzling, turn that shit down. Many people make the mistake of cooking on full heat long into middle age and never learn why they keep burning everything.
>>
>>7159812
>>7154586 (OP)
That meal would actually be pretty good if seasoned correctly.

Fry an egg, quarter it, season each quarter differently, and repeat for several eggs. You WILL become a master of seasoning.

>>7159975
>>
>>7162151

You're actually linking to the thread you originally posted that shit in right now, you fucking retard.

This guy should get a public, permaban at this point.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.