[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im moving out for the first time and i need to know what a basic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: finger hot pepper.jpg (42 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
finger hot pepper.jpg
42 KB, 700x467
im moving out for the first time and i need to know what a basic kitchen needs for cooking

pots and pans mostly, if you could link the stuff you own yourself i would appreciate it.
>>
You should get a dutch oven, family. Way better than a crock pot imo.
>>
>>7157385
get a rice cooker. they come in handy.
>>
>>7157385
So, you've never been in a kitchen? You lack common sense? Are you flat out stupid?

Which is it?
>>
Cast iron skillet
Few different sized pots
Aluminum fry pan
Tongs
Wooden spoon
Dollar store spatula, measuring cups, colander, stirring spoons
Potholders
Meat thermometer
Black Decker blender with glass chamber
Few different knives
Mr coffee
>>
If you don't know what belongs in a kitchen, you aren't mentally capable of looking after yourself.
>>
>>7157405
Wow, grad A post. So glad this board is being taken over by off topic shitposters.
>>
A woman
>>
You only need 4 things.
Cast iron skillet 10"
Wooden spoon
A good knife
A large cutting board

That should cover the basic needs until you find a passion for cooking
>>
>>7157412

Poor meme my friend.

Women are worthless in the kitchen, you want proof? Go compare how many michilin stars are owned by women compared to men.
>>
>>7157421

What you don't need a stove or an oven?
>>
Don't forget a decent can opener
A wine opener
Scissors
Those long matches in case you have a gas stove and the pilot light goes out
A thing of red solo cups, just in case
Some wooden spoons and stuff like that for cooking
-- and last but not least --
A potato masher
>>
>>7157385
It depends somewhat on what you cook.

Generally IMO:
2 cutting boards (1 for fresh fruit, 1 for basically everything else)
1 chef knife (9-10")
1 paring knife
1 honing steel
small, med + large stainless steel pots with lids
stainless steel frying pan or saute pan
aluminum baking sheet(s)
glass or enamel baking dishes (dutch oven)
colander
small, med + large mixing bowls
misc utensils (can opener, serving spoon, flipper, spatula, whisk, vegetable peeler, rolling pin, etc)

I think those are pretty much the essentials in my kitchen. From there you can start buying other more niche shit that interests you (muffin pans, carbon steel or cast iron pans, bread machine, kitchen aid, rice cooker, juicer, etc etc).

The main thing to consider if you are starting from scratch is always buy multi-purpose items first before buying single-use items. A baking sheet is a multi-purpose item - a toaster is a single purpose item, for example. Similarly a stovetop stainless steel pot vs. a rice cooker.
>>
Figure out the things you think you'll be making most often, figure out the most basic tools they will require, do your own research and buy decent quality items, one at a time.

You want to buy the handful of items you're going to use in good quality that will last, rather than buying a bunch of sets of garbage that will just clutter up your shit.
>>
>>7157428
> almost 2016
> not eating raw vegan
Its almost like you want to die before 45
>>
>>7157421
I concur with this, though I personally just got a pot/pan set. I did research though and use the majority of them on a regular basis. If you're really poor all you need is a saucepan, deep pot, and skillet, but a cast iron is fine too and probably hipster.

Measuring cups
A strainer/colander/sieve (any/all)
a spatula,
a can opener

other things to consider based on need: whisk, ladle, peeler, blender/food processor (just finally got one for the first time and it's worth it imo)

The less things you have the more creative you get. I think the most important item to have beyond pots/pans and a knife are measuring cups.
>>
I lived on my own for a while and tried to keep it cheap.
MultiTool - includes a knife, can opener, bottle opener
Covered Pot - great for ramen and rice. Doubles as a bowl to eat from.
12" pan - for making those eggs that are so cheap
3" knife - good for opening packages and filleting chicken breast. Doubles as a fork
Spoon - for stirring and eating cereal
>>
>>7157441
Sometimes it's best to get a few too many items than too few so that when you're cooking late at night when stores are closed you don't say "damnit, if only I had so and so."
>>
>>7157445
Fuck off frog poster
>>
>>7157385
Don't forget containers, like tupperware or whatever.
>>
>>7157385
Recently moved out myself. First things I bought were:
>knife set
>cutting board
>frying pan
>wok
>rice cooker
>medium sized pot with cover
>colander
>>
File: maillard.jpg (14 KB, 361x481) Image search: [Google]
maillard.jpg
14 KB, 361x481
wow did not expect such help thank you. eventually i will buy quality stuff, what are good pieces you yourselves can speak for? would appreciate an amazon link or name drop
>>
walmart sells complete kitchen setups

boxes of your knives, boxes of your cutlery, boxes of your cutting boards, boxes of your pots and pans, toasters, microwaves,

its cheap as shit too
>>
We get this surprisingly often.

The ultimate answer will depend on what you like cooking OP. But the base list tends to be

>a good knife
>cutting boards
>wooden spoons
>spatula
>Large skillet
>2 pots of different sizes

That should cover most of anything in any cuisine. Don't worry about having everything as you move out. Kitchen tools are like tribbles, they will accrue over time anyways.
>>
>all these requests for wooden spoons
What can a wooden spoon do that a regular spoon can't?
>>
>>7157520
stir hot stuff without conducting heat. Longer handle. Can be put on top of a pot of simmering milk/cream to prevent it from boiling over.
>>
*9'' Nonstick frying pan
12'' Cast iron pan
<2qt saucepan (looks like a small pot)
*4qt pot
*6'' Chef Knife
>When you can get a couple other knives, do, but this one will get the job done
*Sharpening steel
*2 cutting boards
*Glass storage container that can also be used for roasting (think pyrex, but other companies make better lids for storage)
>if you plan on roasting large quantities of things, or simply large things, buy a large roasting pan
Measuring cup
Measuring spoons
*Silicone turner/spatula
A couple wooden spoons
Ladle
Slotted Spoon
*Prep bowls
*Colander
Blender
*Toaster oven
Large baking sheet (if your toaster oven will not be big enough)
Coffee brewing method of your choice (I like a french press for its simplicity + you only have to buy one thing and a hard bristle brush to clean it well)
Coffee grinder
>alternatively you can buy a spice grinder since it will be able to grind spices and get you a functioning grind of coffee, all coffee snobbery aside
Water boiling tool (electric kettle or stovetop kettle)
Blender
Slow cooker
Immersion blender

LIDS, MAKE SURE YOUR POTS AND PANS COME WITH LIDS. Usually your pots will, pans won't. Try and buy a pot that has a lid that also fits your pan. A 4qt pot's lid will usually fit a 9'' pan.

I think this covers just about all the basics. If you want to get real basic, locate the * items.
>>
>>7157520
Also, a wooden spoon won't scratch non-stick surfaces if you have pots and pans that have that kind of surface. A regular metal spoon will scratch the shit out of a non-stick surface in the hands of someone who doesn't know better. I've had a few fry pans of mine ruined by careless housemates who used spoons and forks on non-stick surfaces.
>>
>>7157469
A wok and a rice cooker would not be among the first things I would buy. A wok maybe if you specialize in Chinese cooking, but most people don't need and don't know how to use one.

But a fucking rice cooker? Really? A kitchen essential? They're convenient but they should be one of your last considerations. Rice is so easy to make, you could spend that money on, say, baking sheets and oven-safe pans, items which are noticeably abesnt from your list.

I would also recommend a good mixing bowl. Even if you don't do a lot of baking, you can use that shit for so many things. A saucepan is also essential. A blender or food processer also really opens up your options, but it's not absolutely essential.

>>7157393
My Dutch oven is one of my favorite kitchen items, but I got through my 20s without one. It's super useful but a good one can be pricey, it can maybe wait. If OP has a roasting pan he can probably put it off for a while.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.