[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/uckolds, I am making an app which allows gardeners to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: vegetable-gardening-dh.jpg (59 KB, 600x318) Image search: [Google]
vegetable-gardening-dh.jpg
59 KB, 600x318
Hey /ck/uckolds, I am making an app which allows gardeners to sell their produce to local consumers.

It would not be national (at first), so I will mainly focus on my small town.

Any feedback?
>>
You should contact any local ag alliances or co-ops. That would put you in touch with producers and buyers.
>>
its a good idea. you should start with market gardeners and farmers' markets near you, that will let you get a few initial sign ups and you can work from there. A lot of promotion will be needed to hit a critical mass of uses tho.
I believe there's already some farm to table apps so make sure to check those out and work on improving on them
>>
>>7150345
I once had this exact same idea but never went through with it
>>
>>7150345
Why do think that people with real computers don't already have these things and need your feeble apps?
>>
>>7151775
patent it quickly before he finishes
>>
>>7151775
And also the biggest hurdle I thought of keeping inventory up to date with all of the producers. So people could just look at a list of producers and what they had available, and then choose a pickup time. You would have to be on the farmers' asses all the time to keep their inventory updated. It seemed like way too much time and effort on my part before it ever became profitable.

Initially it would be free to consumers always, free to producers for a trial period, and then I would take a cut of every purchase. Then if the producers continued to use it I would charge a monthly listing fee in addition to the cut I would take.

Just seemed like an awful lot of time and money to promote it as a service. It would only work in areas with a lot of farm stands, but those areas are rural and don't have the population to support such a service
>>
>>7151787
Sounds like their already doing it without your cut and knowledge of their internals. As I wrote people have been doing this for a long time before your "app" that you think is so necessary and costs less on a real computer which has more than one use and doesn't require a so called "smart" phone. But keep thinking the app way.
>>
>>7151787
The biggest hurdle that you need to come across is coming across as a scumbag middleman. Why not just offer a piece of software free and clear and be done with it? People don't want you knowing their sales information or taking "a cut." That puts you into jew mode.
>>
>>7151834
I don't mean that the software is free, but once purchased, you have nothing to do with it except to perhaps offer upgrades from time to time, like a subscription or help installing which come with the original stuff.

You're app shit is so lame that it's pathetic.
>>
>>7151834
This OP.
You can monetize this thing later when it gets big. For now, focus on a quality app that'll put consumers direct in touch with producers and let them make purchases, a veritable craigslist of corn.
If it ends up being big then you can monetize. Sidebar ads or something, or allow large producers to pay for premium search result space or something.
Remember that even Twitter started off with no way of making money until it got big enough that implementing shit like promoted tweets became profitable.
>>
>>7151858
Large producers and suppliers already have arrays of computers with programs working on this. You said "small ones" so fine, but just make it something that they should purchase. Why do you think that they want their financial information to go to you, and who are you going to sell that to? That's none of your business. Just sell some software that's usefull and be done with it. You can deal with upgrades and maintenance contracts later.

Don't be a chump trying to get information from others, you have no business with it especially under the guise of trying to "make a cut" that you don't deserve.
>>
>>7151858
Actually twitter started off with a lot of payoffs on media people all at the same time to try to make it look like it mattered when it never did and never will. There was and is a lot of insider trading going on with that one.

I always thought that funny, kind of like certain media creations like kim kardassian, it's nothing more than a media creation.

Really useless in the industry, going through them for anything is bullshit and insecure.
>>
twitter seems like a pump n dump, get some suckers to give you capitol, pump that money into certain conduets that set it up, then dump it. twitter's uselss m8.
>>
OP here, really good ideas in this thread.

I would definitely always keep it free for consumers, and free for trial to farmers.

It would then be either a monthly subscription thing, or flat price per each listing.

I've already hired a web developer to make the site, and will post another thread in a couple of weeks (hopefully less than 2 of the MVP).

Just gauging interest here
>>
The big problem is the initial uptake. It sounds like a good idea in the sense that "if everyone had this app it would be great" but how do you get from "Almost no-one has this app" to "almost everyone has this app"

?

I mean for local food I just go to the local market and unless this had wide coverage I wouldn't use it.

Hopefully you thought about chese potential issues and would support it if you genuinely release because it's a good idea
>>
>>7152235
>"Almost no-one has this app" to "almost everyone has this app"

This is basically the eternal marketing question and the answer is that there is no easy answer. Getting something off the ground requires capital and legwork. Starting at local farmers markets is a great idea. Get some farmers interested, then set up your own stall at the market (or walk around yourself) to get consumers interested. Have participating producers put up signs at their stalls that say something to the effect of "Did you know you can buy our produce week-round with [x] app?"

The start of any new idea is slow and that's a good thing because it gives the developers time to work out the kinks and improve the user experience.
>>
>>7152229
You get it. It doesn't have to be free, people don't want it to be free. It's a business, fine, so make it one. But make it a product that can be used without you having to take some cut in it. That part is offensive.

You don't understand and likely never will.
>>
>>7151858
>implementing shit like promoted tweets became profitable.

It costs about $200k per day to promote a hashtag trend on Twitter.

Fuck Twitter.
>>
>>7152246
The answer to the eternal marketing question was answered a long time ago by P. T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."
>>
Maybe you could add in dairy farmers as well? I'd kill to have an app that lets me buy fresh cheese and milk whenever I wanted.
>>
>>7150345
>hi im a candy-ass programmer and i want to make money off other people's work and effort because i am too autistic to function normally
>>
>>7152271
fuck off shill, why not just look up places in your area?
Do you need an app for that?
>>
>>7150345
Add some Knorr stockpot to the fertiliser, not only will the plants thank you, but a delicious beefy flavour will be infused into all of your vegetables!
>>
>>7152247
>you get it
>You don't understand and likely never will

whet
>>
>>7152271
Yep, I'de be adding dairy farmers, beekeepers, etc...

>>7152284
Because there is no good place to search that up, thus the app.
>>
>>7152229
So you're actually outsourcing and not coding yourself?? ie you're dumping money into this 'idea' without any actual knowledge of the market (existing sales channels, possible competitors, DEMAND, etc). I could understand if you were a fresh cs grad looking to test your skills on a large scale project with little risk but your own time but you just sound like a fool chasing a get rich quick scheme
>>
>>7152327
shhhh us "freelance programmers" need to make a living too
>>
>>7152310
When a restauranteur wants to buy fresh local cheese their first instinct isn't to fucking google it. They contact the guy they know, this could be a distributor or someone else but the important part is that it's through a network. Not some lazy half ass farm foods Craigslist
>>
>H-hi /ck/ I'm looking for $100,000dollars for a 10% steak in my b-business
>>
>>7152335
This service is not for restaurants, its for direct consumers.

>>7152339
I'm not looking for money

>>7152327
I am outsourcing it because I got a small grant for this project, and didnt need the money for anything else
>>
>>7152422
>its for direct consumers.

then say good buy to your money & time
>>
>>7150345
This is the better place to post: >>>/out/618806

Most everyone on /ck/ is a buyfag.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.