[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate your personal cooking skill level out of 10, where 10 is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: never met a woman who can cook.jpg (155 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
never met a woman who can cook.jpg
155 KB, 425x282
Rate your personal cooking skill level out of 10, where 10 is world-class chef and 1 is "The only things I can make are grilled cheese and scrambled eggs".
>>
2-3 to be honest family
>>
>>7142142
Go to bed Marco.
>>
Probably a 5-6 tbqh
>>
I like to think I'm about a 7 but probably 5 or 6 max.
>>
>>7142134
7, nigger.

I can cook anything, comfy as fuck!
>>
>>7142134
9/11
>>
>>
>>
I any poll of such sort in any field majority rate themselves as "above average".
>>
Id say i can hit levels of 8 but im most likely 5-7
>>
File: 20150506_072827.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150506_072827.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
like a strong 3 to weak 5 out of 10
>>
>>
>>7142434
actually 4-5, 5 on a good day but 4 most of the time
>>
>>
>>
>>7142134
6, probably. Better than average (8 years in culinary so far, and an avid home cook) but nowhere near driven enough to get anywhere past a 7. I just don't care about stars or tasting menus.

Anyone who says they are over a 7 in these threads is a raging egoist or trolling.
>>
>>7142442
>anyone who says they're better than me is an egoist

umm... :/
>>
7 or 8 i've vey to posta
>>
File: IMG_20150512_220248522.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150512_220248522.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>7142134
I am a solid 7; five years in the industry and and I'm working my way up to a sous-chef position (currently a kitchen lead)

I have a large collection of recipes in my head, but if I had to come up with something on the fly, like if I were on Chopped or something, I'd probably mess it up.

Pic related: Eggplant Parmesan over polenta and a Caesar salad
>>
6, I'm a good cook for someone that's never worked in the industry.
>>
>>7142134
4 or 5, I can't get out of "throw everything into a pot and hope for the best" mode unless I'm cooking for someone else (rarely) but I know a number of techniques
>>
>>7142134
Six. I'm better than average, but there's so many foods and techniques I'll probably never even touch.
Beating the average isn't hard, most people can't make instant ramen without fucking it up.
>>
>>7142134
3-4 for cooking but 8-9 for baking and 10-20 for icecream. Been working bread duty and desserts in multiple restaurants for 9 years now
>>
1-2
>>
1.5, but I basically never cook because my gf is an 8 or 9
>>
>>7142134
I give myself a seven. I can't cook fish for shit.
>>
4-5
>>
>>7142458

You are obv a 3 or 4
>>

I can't cook everything but it doesn't take me long to learn how. If it involves baking however I'm more like a 5. I don't eat sweats at all and I've completely left it out of my repertoire.
>>
>>7142581

*sweets
>>
9 only because I'm not famous yet
>>
i would say i can cook most things but i wouldn't want to oversell myself so about a 5
>>
>>7142446
Please. There are tons of people better at cooking than me out there. Key words being "out" and "there". They ain't here, anon.

I'm sorry I'm not the villain you want me to be.
>>
>>7142134
All you home cooks claiming 7's or higher
God damn it the internet is hilarious
>>
5 or 6 I guess.
I could rate myself a bit higher as I'm actually a pretty decent cook but I'm too cheap to buy ingredients that are worth shit and I'm lazy as fuck.
>>
>tfw never made grilled cheese or scrambled eggs
>>
>>7142134

Cooking is a constantly evolving trade, where criticism is an "every cover" occurrence. Despite putting effort into making a plate as flawlessly as possible a patron could and probably will find a flaw with something I don't think has flaws.

It's a trade of perfectionists that will never obtain perfection, so adaptation, perseverance, tenacity, dedication and flexibility are important. I'm constantly competing with myself to become a better cook so there's no way to measure where I am today because tomorrow might be a better day where I learn something new, practically apply it and the customer is blown away.

A 10 is unobtainable, to everyone and anyone. To say you're even remotely close to it would be an outright lie to yourself.

At the age of 32, having run my own kitchen for the past 3 years I only consider myself a 5. What others rate me as isn't important. I compete with myself, no one else.
>>
soft 8 maybe. would be able to comfortably make a dinner for 10 that would impress, however do not think i would have the speed, expertise, stress-defense etc needed to be an actual chef in a restaurant.
cooking has been a "passion" of mine since i was a kid however.
>>
>>7142833
you must be a moron if you think theres some sort of factual scale on how to rank from 1-10. maybe to you a 10 is unreachable, but on ops scale he said 10 would be a worldclass-chef, which means there'd be thousands of tens out there, and 5 would like just be someone slightly better than the average homecook, someone with a bit of an interest but not much more than that.

how autistic are you?
>>
>>7142458
your plating is terrible and i'd expect better than that from swedish schoolfood desu. that looks like something they'd price at 3dollars in sweden, served by an immigrant who likely microwaved it.
>>
>>7142134
3. I like simple whole foods unless a blend of spices has some medicinal properties like ayurvedic cooking or Traditional chinese medicinal cooking. I can't julienne and onion for shit or dice a tomato superfast but an onion isn't more oniony because its julienned and a tomato is just s tasty if its chopped fast and uneven. I can follow any recipe thoguh so my cooking skills are adequate.

I make a lot of vegan, preservative/additive free stuff.
>>
>>7142855

World class chefs open restaurants thay fail constantly and receive the highest level of criticism and ratings, as they have labels and awards to consistently live up to.

Have you eaten Jerome Bocuse' cooking compared to his fathers? I have. Their idea of what food should be is as different as day is to night.
>>
>>7142134
5/10 average. I can cook rice, cook pasta as good as European mums according to my flat mates , cook stir fries, cook 3 styles of Chinese noodles, grill steaks and chicken.
>>
>>7142865
so you agree entirely then, there is no factual scale, there are a lot of world class chefs and people have their own taste and their own way to execute a dish.

glad to know im right and that guy was autistic.
>>
File: wat.jpg (23 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
23 KB, 600x512
>>7142410
so a 4 ?
>>
File: 1354728665713.png (137 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1354728665713.png
137 KB, 300x300
>>7142872

There are many "factual" scales and rating systems for food, chefs across the planet fight for those awards and acalaides every shift of their lives.

Bocuse d'or being one of the most stringent testing/rating systems of food ever known to mankind.

There aren't many world class chefs, hence why people like Marie-Antoine Careme worked for Royalty and Jaime Oliver shills frozen food and formula developed garbage to desperately salvage his failure of a career.

>mfw a Chef who used to support "healthy eating only" now shills candy bars and alcoholic beverages
>>
>>7142134
Depending on how the curve is, I'd guess around a 4. I can cook. I can cook a pretty decent variety of things. But most of the things I cook are pretty simple. Like, the most complicated step in my repertoire is probably a roux (for sausage gravy and the sauce for chicken tetrazzini).
>>
>>7142458
You are a solid 2 m8, deal with it
>>
>>7142881
nigger logic
>>
4/10, I can make pretty good chili and steaks, can make all eggs except poached but I use a timer for a good amount of things. Still can't cook bacon on a skillet without under/overcooking it, and I bake half of everything I make.
>>
>>7142134
3-5
>>
Depends entirely on the scale. I could believe I'm a 7/10 in percentile terms, just because I'm vaguely competent and a whole lot of people are either entirely clueless or frightened of cooking. But if it's a skill scale that distinguishes good, great, and starred chefs I'd be more like a 3.
>>
>>Everybody arguing about numbers ITT.

There is a "flat tail" towards 10. Many people *can* cook on occasion, but don't give a fuck about making it their job (even when they do, many prefer familial cooking than high class.)
Then it's hard to tell between a "almost a Michelin star" to "3 stars". Depends on the team in your kitchen too...

Also, many people can't even scramble eggs, even on /ck/.
>>
>>7142458
shit food
>>
prolly a 6
>>
7 because fuck you
>>

I like to cook, and I can make decent things, but I can't improvise to save my life.
>>
>>7144872
Looks fine to me. What's do you think is wrong with it?
>>
6. My sense of flavor is extraordinary, I can make very balanced and tasty food. But my knife skills are shit lol.
>>
>>7142134
4.5 prolly
>>
Maybe a 6. I know more than the average person because I work in kitchens and Ive been to culinary school. But I have a long way to go. Innovation is my weak point. I can do and make anything but as long as Ive been shown.
>>
File: 1243201772502.jpg (24 KB, 430x328) Image search: [Google]
1243201772502.jpg
24 KB, 430x328
5/10? I know how to use a wide range cooking techniques at home, make bread and pastry from scratch on a regular basis, and learned a lot when I worked as a meat clerk for several years. I can pull off a big holiday meal for my family single-handed and know at least a couple dishes from each major family of international cuisine. My weaknesses are that I have very little experience cooking seafood aside from baking/broil/grilling meaty fillets of fish, I know very little about deserts or candy (because I don't really like eating sweets), and my knowledge of wine and liquor is pretty sparse.
>>
Thinking I hit about 6. Experienced in running a few places, creation and finesse of items, and spread of culinary interests allowing me to slot in nicely most places. However, while I cook excellently, I lack speed.
>>
An honest 6.

I'm like a dedicated and enthusiastic home cook. I don't think I'll ever put in the effort required to make it to a 7 or higher.
>>
>>
>>7142134
When I'm on my game, and I really care about what I'm doing, I'm a solid 8.
(the reason I say that, is because I worked in kitchens growing up and for most of my twenties, and apprenticed under a couple of hardcore motherfucking chefs).
But, most days, I'm around a 6-7, and when it's just me at home, I can fall to a 4-5 if I can't be fucked to actually cook anything requiring skill. But, yeah, even my simple stuff is at least a 4-5, I do know how to actually cook well.
>>
>>7145820
You're probably more like a 6.
>>
>>7145872
Got and pictures?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.