[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's some exotic food you'd like to try but have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: Poutine.jpg (2 MB, 2500x2136) Image search: [Google]
Poutine.jpg
2 MB, 2500x2136
what's some exotic food you'd like to try but have to take big steps or just generally can't be arsed to get?
>>
>>7105398
I don't fucking understand why poutine isn't even a thing outside Canada.
>>
File: JP-ORTOLAN1-articleLarge.jpg (63 KB, 600x377) Image search: [Google]
JP-ORTOLAN1-articleLarge.jpg
63 KB, 600x377
Living in the US there isn't really that many things that are difficult to find, aside from a decent baguette and pic related.
>>
Why do you keep reusing the same pictures for every thread?

You do this on /tv/ as well
>>
>>7105407
Huh? You must have mistaken me, this is just one of the first pics on google.
>>7105406
I wouldn't be too sure, the culinary world is more varied than most people think.
>>7105405
cheese curds aren't sold here.
>>
>>7105405
I'm in the UK

growing up I ate chips (steak cut style), cheddar cheese and gravy at school

no curds but pretty close
>>
>>7105405
In New Jersey we have disco fries but they don't use the cheese curds. Having had both I prefer it with curds and anytime some hipster place serves "poutine" and gives me disco fries I am disappointed.
>>
>>7105495
>cheese curds aren't sold here

Not even from upper midwest and they are. I live in fucking Texas and cheese curds are in mainstream department stores.
>>
>>7105551
I'm not even from that side of the pond m8
>>
>>7105551
>mainstream department stores
What, like Dillard's?
>>
>>7105398
American style three inch deep pizza pie. It's exotic to me and I can't find anyone who makes it in my country
>>
>>7105564
Macy's carries them. Check the maternity section's fitting rooms
>>
I wouldn't really consider poutine a legitimate menu item. Every country on Earth has fries. Everyone has cheese. Everyone has gravy. How is this uniquely Canadian?
Extremely common ingredients, and they aren't even cooked together, they are mixed on the serving plate. I fail to see this as an iconic recipe, its just fries with condiments.
>>
>>7105589
>cheese

It's not cheese though.
>>
File: 20141213_131739.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20141213_131739.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7105551
Im in houston please enlighten me, I know one place in the city that has them and they are always gone and probably no where near as fresh as they should be. The only place I've had a real poutine is at St' Arnolds Brewery tour, pic related, was good but I'd like to make my own.
>>
>>7105597
A decent gravy recipe:
http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/4854-brown-gravy-sauce-for-poutine-and-hot-chicken
and the assembly/fries guide:
http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/4853-poutine-with-homemade-gravy
>>
>>7105589
see >>7104959
>>
>>7105685
Exactly what did I say that's incorrect? Is there some subtle nuance Canadian magic going on that I can't possibly understand? Care to explain?
>>
>>7105589
I wouldn't really consider sushi a legitimate menu item. Every country on Earth has rice. Everyone has fish. Everyone has vinegar. How is this uniquely Japanese?
Extremely common ingredients, and they aren't even cooked together, they are mixed on the serving plate. I fail to see this as an iconic recipe, its just fish with vinegary rice.
>>
>>7105597
I've seen cheese curds at fucking Specs before. Get out of your house.
>>
To OP, I'd start with getting a passport.
>>
File: PICT0009.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
PICT0009.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7105788
yes the specs downtown is the only place in houston I could find and they are far from fresh. Im constantly out of my house fuck your shit faggot.
>>
File: Tasty_Treat-Ortolan.jpg (15 KB, 320x245) Image search: [Google]
Tasty_Treat-Ortolan.jpg
15 KB, 320x245
>>7105398
Ortolan
>>
ok so so far in a thread about exotic foods we are yet to try, with 25 replies, we have fucking poutine and ortolan.

this board is really pathetic sometimes.
>>
>>7107132
And that post contributed exactly what?

Nothing.

I answered for you so you wouldn't post something else useless.
>>
>>7107170

>And that post contributed exactly what?

criticism, you dumb cunt. need i point out you're doing the same?
>>
>>7105405
No true scotsman syndrome
Literally anyone anywhere can fry potatoes and slather them in unpressed cheese and meat drippings
>>
File: 1443112811153.jpg (160 KB, 1639x693) Image search: [Google]
1443112811153.jpg
160 KB, 1639x693
>>7105398
American here. Would eat the fuck out of munchie boxes and poutine.

>tfw cant get either in bumfuckyou Cali

I hate it here.

I hate it here especially in California. Better than So-Cal I guess.
>>
>>7105398
here, literally everywhere you can get french fries, you can get poutine.

#montreal
>>
>>7105398
Poutine looks so fucking good. I wanna try it but I dunno if there's something specific you have to do to make it yourself. Plus I've got no fucking clue where to get cheese curds.
>>
>>7107771
You can't get cheese curds at your grocer?

Do-it-yourself
>Make super dank gravy (with roast drippings, preferably)
>Fry french fries
>Put in container
>Top with cheese curds
>Put in oven at 400 for 2-3 minutes
>Top with gravy
>Garnish with chiffonade green onions

Reeeally not complicated. If you are lazy you can buy canned gravy, use mozzarella instead, and skip the oven/green onions

but if you can, find squeaky cheese curds oh my god
>>
>>7107771
>I've got no fucking clue where to get cheese curds

>put acid in milk
>remove curds
>>
>>7107800
I can't get cheese curds at the grocer, nah. It doesn't sound too complicated, though, so I'll try it with the mozzarella. Thank you, Anon!
>>
File: 1404690106682.png (254 KB, 497x425) Image search: [Google]
1404690106682.png
254 KB, 497x425
>exotic

>fries, gravy, and cheese

What the fuck is wrong with you

how the fuck is ANY of that in any combination 'exotic'

that's like called a toast sandwich exotic. Jesus H Christo, you never know what to expect from flyovers, top kek.
>>
>>7105405
I'm in Connecticut and we have fucking poutine food trucks. At our fairs there was always a poutine/Canadian food stall.
>>
>>7107844

Canadians are absolute pushovers, an entire continent of people who are too scared to try anythingthe rest of the world would consider 'exotic.'

You see the Canadian wants to feel safe at all times, posting from their cabins and ironically expressing their opinions about the world from the safety of their homes/sheds so that they don't offend their fearful neighboors. A Canadian will eventually explain how great their nation is, and then apologize for it, knowing that their success comes from the United States.

Anyways, the normally bland and boring flavor of potato is an extreme sport to your average Canadian, and gravy replicates the texture and savoryness of semen, a treat for any betamax kektry
>>
>>7107816
Use buffalo mozzarella.
>>
>>7107911
thats definitely some elaborate b8, flyover-senpai
>>
>>7105406
Whats going on in that pic?
>>
>>7105405
The new brick oven pizza in town makes its own version using smoked gouda chunks and Turkey shavings. It's delicious.
>>
I'm surprised Munchie Boxes don't exist here. Amerifats are a huge untapped market for any sort of indulgent large portion of food.
>>
>>7108069
You cover your head with a cloth while eating ortolan to hide your sin from God.
>>
I've always wanted to know what cat tastes like.
>>
File: jambalaya.jpg (2 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
jambalaya.jpg
2 MB, 4096x3072
Jambalaya, it's exotic for me because I'm a norwegian, it looks deleeses
>>
>>7105398
Abalone
Duck
I'm sure if I really searched I could find abalone but I've never seen it & I'm sure it would be shit from any local place
We do have duck but it's not nearly as popular as it should be, most people just don't know how to prepare it
>>
>>7109457
Dude, if I could air mail a giant plate of Laya to you right now, it would be in a box at the poastal depot within an hour. Everyone needs to accept that the Southern US has the best food over the entire fuckin' globe.
New Englandfags are lame with their frou frou bullshit & coneydoigs. West coasters can't even properly grill pork over heated coals because they get herniated loins over excess carbon emissions. The Midwest is just an inbred butter orgy that still listens to Fall-out Boy & worships their own shite beer.

The rest of the world can get fucked; you guys still can't get eggs right. I mean, holy shit bateman.
>>
>>7105597
They sell the curds at central market and they always have a large stock.
>>
Not really exotic, but one thing I can't get here (without paying a stupid amount for) is rye flour. I'd like to try baking different kinds of rye breads, but it's just not cost effective.
>>
>>7109135
Canadian here. Gouda is a pretty good cheese curd replacement, it' pretty much the same texture except for the squeakyness.
>>
>>7109687
Go visit California. I went to mendiceno on vacation this summer and while on a hike along the coast came across some guys diving for abalone. We chatted for a bit, I took a couple pictures for them, and then bought an abalone off of them for five bucks. Asked them how to cook it then hiked back to my cabin. Saw them later at the local bar as well. Do it anon. You deserve something nice.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 224x224
>>7105581
>>
>>7105398
Because where do I get cheese curds? Never have I seen them in stores around here.
>>
>>7105535

based disco fries should be made with mozzarella but honestly i like them with american cheese
>>
>>7109722
Lmao you should open an imax with all that projection.
>>
>>7111134
I always substitute with mozzarella. It doesn't melt as well or stay melted as well as american cheese but I prefer the flavor.
>>
senpai desu imo baka
>>
>>7105398

Paella. Just can't find it here, don't have time to make it myself.
>>
>>7111506
quality post right there
>>
>>7105405
It is, you just need to visit a border state. Most brewpubs in MI/WI sell it.
>>
File: tumblr_no6g28Ben41rs3mzqo1_1280.jpg (160 KB, 640x962) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no6g28Ben41rs3mzqo1_1280.jpg
160 KB, 640x962
>>7105405
J'peux pas croire que cé considéré comme canadien quand en fait cé purement Québécois....
>>
>>7112864
La dernière fois que j'ai jeté un coup d'oeil à une carte géographique du Canada, le Québec étais toujours une province, pas un pays.
Poutine = Plat Canadien mon cher ami séparatiste :`)
>>
>>7112864
>>7113067

I only took a couple years of French in college, a spent a few months in France, but when I visited Montreal I could barely understand anybody.

It must just be the accent, because I barely remember anything and both of these posts are as basic as it gets.
>>
>>7105405
A few restaurants in MA do it.
>>
>>7105405
A poutine chain from Canada just opened a store here in Berkeley, CA.
Stopped by there, was fucking delicious. I can see why they set up shop one block from the university.
Last I heard they were trying to expand down in LA. I hope they do good. More 'Murricans need to experience this ambrosia of gravy and cheese curds.
>>
>>7113100
Quebec French is to real French what Amerifat slurs are to the Queen's Own.
>>
>>7113212
Quebec french is real french. France french is bourgeois bullshit
>>
>>7113212
This
>>
>>7105398
What are those white things?
>>
>>7107934

>le flyover mememay

get lost in the wilderness and die.
>>
>>7109687
abalone is over rated.

cooking a duck-

duck,s&p, orange marmalade, potatoes.

put a decent amount of marmalade under the skin

put on top of chopped seasoned potatoes

cook as you would a chicken.

just make sure to use a high sided oven tray. a lot of fat comes out of these suckers.
>>
>>7110700
I just yelled out gross at the top of my lungs and got weird stares.

>squeaky cheese
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.