[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the cheapest way to hone a knife?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Honing-vs.-sharpening.jpg (90 KB, 452x353) Image search: [Google]
Honing-vs.-sharpening.jpg
90 KB, 452x353
What is the cheapest way/tool to hone a knife?
I use only two cheapish knives and i have a sharpener but i need a honing tool too.
>>
>>7102918
Steal a steel
>>
>>7102918
Side of a glass.
>>
>>7102918
Eitherba leather strop charged with green buffing compound or the edge of a car window.
Thank me later.
>>
File: 51K1KHMsgiL._SY355_.jpg (24 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
51K1KHMsgiL._SY355_.jpg
24 KB, 355x355
Rub some honing compound on your forearm and hone it against your skin.
>>
Would this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3KA9VLRt4

The guy sharpens the knife on the edge of glass. Could we use any kind of ceramic mug or glass instead?
>>
>>7102964
>sharpens
This is a thread about honing you colossal ignoramus.
>>
>>7102981
Sorry my breh, my autism only covers craft beer and coffee brewing methods.

In this vid he does it wit ha ceramic mug too, is this legit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqXh2E3Auk
>>
>>7102981

honing is a subset of sharpening bro.
>>
>honing vs sharpening
Oh man I used to troll /ck/ with this meme back in the day. Knife autists will shit themselves with rage if you phrase maintenance advice slightly different than how they do it, while copping a condescending know-it-all attitude about the whole thing.

Good times
>>
>>7103009
Is this real?
>>
>>7102918
Just get a cheapish steel. You can probably get one for a few bucks at a thrift store, most people don't know how to use a steel so they're donated pretty frequently in my experience. If you get nicer knives in the future, go get a ceramic honing rod. Mac makes quite good ones.
>>
>>7105146
But what if my knife is harder than a cheapish steel rod? it is made of moly/vanadium steel, still cheap tho
>>
I'm partial to diamond steels. They grind off a minuscule amount of your blade and sharpen as they hone. Some people worry about wearing their knives down faster. But you won't need to break out your sharpening stone as often in my experience.
>>
>>7102918
What do you mean by a sharpener? Also you want a steel to straighten the blade and grit stones to sharpen it properly. The commercial machines that sharpen knives don't do a very good job.
>>
>>7102918
Pay a professional to do it until you learn to do it yourself.
>>
Tried grinding my knife once with a cheap ass grindstone we picked up at Ikea. Went about for about 3-5 minutes I guess, didn't seem to do anything at all, the blade was just as dull as before. Did I just do it wrong, is the grindstone crap or would have to do it for longer? How much time would one need to make a dull blade sharp again if you know what you're doing?
>>
>>7105228
If a blade is super dull & its steel of decent quality it will take hours.
>>
>>7102981
Whats seen in the video actually is honing.
>>
>>7102955
use this or any other American chocolate
>>
>>7105270

You could dremel it sharp in 10 seconds, wouldn't do it on an expensive knife though.
>>
>>7102918
hello newfag here
why would you want to "hone" your knife?

In your pic it just looks stub.
>>
>>7102918
A cheap angle grinder with a 7" disk works great.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.