[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooking oil of choice? I usually use Canola oil. Neutral flavour,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: canola_oil.jpg (369 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
canola_oil.jpg
369 KB, 1200x1600
Cooking oil of choice?
I usually use Canola oil. Neutral flavour, inexpensive, high smoking point, low in saturated fat, decent amount of Omega 3's.

Although I have used extra virgin olive oil, even though it has a low smoke point, it seemed to work fine for the onion I was frying.
>>
I'm exactly the same: canola and evil.

I need to get around to using peanut oil. Apparently that's what's heavily used in Chinese cooking.
>>
>>7079280
Yea, true. I've used it before, but it really does have a slight peanutty taste.
>>
i use canola. i dont think youre supposed to use olive oil to cook with.
>>
>>7079141
>extra virgin
>cooking

FAMILLA
>>
>>7079295
That's what they say, but I think as long as you aren't deep frying in 1" of oil, or anything that will take too long, your olive oil shouldn't burn. Also I hear light olive oil is better for cooking with than evoo.

>>7079299
I know it's not the best, but I think Rachel Ray does it.
>>
>>7079141
>I usually use Canola oil. Neutral flavou

I hate the taste of canola oil. Dat Eucric acid man. Tastes bad. It might be "low acid" but it isn't "no acid".

My typical oils:
-light olive oil for general purpose use
-peanut oil in the deep fryer and for high-heat use like searing a steak
-EVOO for dressings & sauces
>>
I use Canola Oil for most things. I also have Sunflower, Coconut and Avocado Oil I use for various dishes depending on what flavor I want to give it. I use Olive Oil for baking, EV Olive Oil is a topping for things.

I strain and freeze my bacon fat and use that sometimes as well, but it's mainly for seasoning pans.
>>
Various oils/fats for various purposes.
My workhorse is regular-ass soya oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil, whichever happens to be cheapest when I need to buy another huge container of the stuff.

Next in commonality is a three way tie between olive pomace oil, lard and chicken grease.

Thereafter, bacon grease.

Butter I use mostly for baking but occasionally for other things as well and shortening for almost nothing but baking.
Coconut oil is for making deodorant and occasionally Sri Lankan-style curry (hodi).

I use dark sesame oil as a finishing oil in various dishes and light sesame oil in Sri Lankan food.

Other cooking fats I use so rarely that they don't really count for anything.

>>7079295
I don't know where this idea came from. It's a the oddest thing. Outside of durkastani countries, people in traditionally olive-oil eating/producing countries generally cook with regular olive oil or olive pomace oil and use EV for salads, dressings and dips. If they do use EV for cooking, however, they generally cut it with grease of some sort, the exact variety depending on the country and culture in question. Mine uses lard or chicken grease, but others may use lamb or mutton tallow or any number of other greases.
>>
Unrefined sunflower oil, or if the cooking permits it I use olive oil.
>>
How long does oil last? How do you know if it's gone bad? I've had EVOO for months and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.
>>
>>7079439
>How long does oil last?
Many months, if not years, depending on exposure to light and oxygen in the air.

>>How do you know if it's gone bad?
It will develop a rancid taste and smell

>>I've had EVOO for months
Congratulations. You can keep it for years to come.
>>
>>7079444
So if it had gone bad, it would be obvious. Good to know.
>>
I use olive oil for everything.

Get's a little smoky sometimes, but I can't stand the flavor of other oils anymore.
>>
>>7079141
>Canola oil. Neutral flavour
I used to think this until I stopped using it for a while. Now that I'm no longer used to it I find the flavor terrible. Kind of like sour fish. Can't use the stuff anymore, because even heating in the pan that smell is disgusting to me.

For high temp stuff I use peanut oil, which is fucking delicious. Everything else gets olive oil.
>>
>>7079141
I use a lighter olive oil for most shallow frying. I like the taste.
>>
Grape seed or groundnut
>>
File: 0004179000442_A.jpg (117 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
0004179000442_A.jpg
117 KB, 1500x1500
Sam's Club sells this in a 2 liter bottle for $12. Usually lasts a couple of years. I use it to sear meat, get salt to stick to a baked potato, in baking recipes that call for oil, sauteeing vegetables, and just whatever else.

Soy bean oil for deep frying pork, chicken and catfish.

Butter for eggs.

I'll sweat the holy trinity in pure bacon grease.
>>
>>7079295
>i dont think youre supposed to use olive oil to cook with.
You can, if you know what you're doing - don't overheat it and mix it with some soy or canola oil if you want a milder taste, and you're good to go.

For example, I often use olive oil for my fried eggs... it's really nice the flavour it impacts the eggs with. Ditto for browning onions and garlic.
>>
Lard, tallow, duck fat, ghee, butter, avacado, sesame, coconut, olive.

Anything else can fuck off.
>>
Only thing I ever use.
>>
>>7079141
i use margarine for all my oil needs
>>
Nobody here mentions corn oil, but I like the corn-y flavor. It somehow tastes richer to me and closer to butter.
>>
File: 0006820070104.jpg (39 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
0006820070104.jpg
39 KB, 350x350
>>7080048
Yea, this works well, it's mostly made of canola oil with a little added olive oil.
>>
>cooking with EVOO
I have no fucking clue what I'm doing but the name sounds kewl and I coincidentally have a lot in common with virgins.
>>
File: ghee.jpg (891 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
ghee.jpg
891 KB, 1080x1920
>>7079141
It really depends on what I'm cooking. Generally, I'll use peanut, olive, or sesame oil. I also like to use ghee.
>>
I use vegetable or corn oil.
>>
>>7079141
For oil, I generally use canola and sometimes olive. If you expand it to fat in general I also use butter and lard on occasion.
>>
File: Olio di Oliva.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Olio di Oliva.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
Pic related.

I buy a can of that stuff because it's relatively cheap, and tasty. It's the only thing I use to cook with...
>>
Its called RAPESEED oil OP
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7079448
Careful anon, I had a friend who kept EVOO for years and one day he woke up dead
>>
Sunflower, safflower as a second choice.

Canola oil smells rancid when it's heated.
>>
>>7080249
I Ghee, it is just so rich I don't use it often.
>>
>pan frying
sesame seed oil

if I want a more neutral flavor sunflower oil

>baking something
canola oil

> making something that wont be heated
olive oil

>deep frying
peanut oil
>>
>>7079141
canola is better than corn, vegetable, or soy, but those omega 3s are countered by the much larger quantities of omega 6s

anyways, I use olive and peanut for a few things, but my go to for general cooking is avocado oil
>>
>>7081492

>omega 6
>A type of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), they help stimulate skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism, and maintain the reproductive system.

wut
>>
>tfw got a free year supply of wesson canola oil
>>
>>7079997
Enjoy your shit oil
>>
File: canola-fat-chart.jpg (116 KB, 1009x656) Image search: [Google]
canola-fat-chart.jpg
116 KB, 1009x656
>>7081492
True, but Canola has a 2:1 ratio of Omega 6:3 so it is overall the best. (You can't cook with flaxseed oil, and I hear heating it basically renders the omega 3 useless).
>>
>>7082256
where is vegetable oil?
>>
>>7082258
Vegetable oil from Crisco is just soybean oil. Some vegetable oils are mixtures of ~3 types of oil. Read the ingredients on your bottle to find out. I highly recommend using an oil low in Omega 6.

The healthiest oils are Canola and Olive. Safflower is fine, just a bit higher in Omega 6 with no Omega 3 to balance it out.
>>
File: Costco Bottle.png (229 KB, 224x821) Image search: [Google]
Costco Bottle.png
229 KB, 224x821
what does /ck/ think about avocado oil?
>>
>>7082276
Well nutrition wise, it is almost identical to olive oil. I don't know about the taste of smoke point though.
>>
>>7082281
or smoke point*
>>
>>7082264
underated post

i'm not the guy you were responding to but i appreciate the info that you've provided.

thanx.
>>
>>7082281

it has almost no taste and the highest smoke point of any cooking oil
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.