[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I a good line cook? My colleagues and chef keep telling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: alg-abad-vazquez-jpg.jpg (104 KB, 970x728) Image search: [Google]
alg-abad-vazquez-jpg.jpg
104 KB, 970x728
How do I a good line cook? My colleagues and chef keep telling me I'm too slow.
>>
>>7058056
You probably do a lot of wasted movements. Either that or you're slow as hell. Get faster.
>>
>>7058056
Go faster.
>>
File: dodkak4kkicrrrdt0vx6.jpg (162 KB, 610x481) Image search: [Google]
dodkak4kkicrrrdt0vx6.jpg
162 KB, 610x481
Gotta go fast
>>
File: 1407131221197.jpg (365 KB, 780x749) Image search: [Google]
1407131221197.jpg
365 KB, 780x749
>>
>>7058056
Quite barbiturates
>>
>>7058056
Have you tried speeding up? I find that when people tell me I'm moving slowly, I quicken my pace and they stop complaining.
>>
Move faster.
>>
>>7058068
>>7058071
>>7058075
>>7058082
>>7058109
>>7058268
>>7058291
Thanks.
>>
>>7058056
Is it that they think you're physically moving slowly, or that you're being inefficient at your station (cooking only one thing at a time)? If you don't know, you should ask them. Either way, you probably need to chug a diet coke or some coffee before a rush. When I used to work in a kitchen I would always hit a lull mid-shift and the only thing I could do was get some caffeine in me.
>>
>>7058268

this might work in theory....
>>
>>7058056
Work like your about to be fired.
>>
You'll understand what moving faster means the first time you get slammed and fall behind on your station.

Either that or you'll quit.
>>
What kind of place do you work at? Chances are they're coked or amphed up to outer space. Everything is gonna seem slow to them.
>>
>>7058498
lol m8, I've been there two months and I've lost count how many times I've fallen behind
>>
>>7058547
if you aren't getting it by now you are probably best looking for another line of work. line cooking is pretty god damn simplistic even at high end places.. you prep and cook the same things everyday.
>>
>>7058481
If you knew you were about to get fired, wouldn't that be more of an incentive to not give a fuck?
>>
>>7059554

Most line cooks live paycheck to paycheck.

That aside, it's better to realize you're working on a team, and every other station is going to hate you when expo says their shit needs to be re-fired because they were waiting on one thing from your station.

Get a fucking asshole, Ramsey tier chef and then you'll learn to move without the rest of the kitchen even needing to say anything.

In all seriousness, literally everyone is told they move too slow when they first start. Someone mentioned eliminating wasted movements, which is true as fuck (there's a stage where you master a station and it's briefly zen like, before becoming mundane and tedious - though still kind of exciting and stressful as fuck). The main thing that everyone who's worked in a kitchen cares about first off is experience. It's a craft, and you get better every day, as long as you try to get better.

Also, blah blah, true as fuck cliche, work smarter not harder.

If you're just starting out just put all your energy into it and try to see what you can do better. You can't get better by reading shit on the internet.
>>
>>7058547
>falling behind for two months
>still not fired

You're working fast enough but your management has bullshit expectations and they know it.
>>
>>7059751

He obviously works in a pretty average place.

I used to fall behind on stations the chef said I was the best the restaurant had ever had on those stations (that's what floaters and communication is for). If you work at a high volume place that occasionally gets slammed it happens. (Yeah, I often requested a second guy on my station early on in the night when I knew I'd get fucked, and management just let me get into the weeds.)

Two months honestly isn't unreasonable to learn your first ever station, and I doubt OP even works full time.
>>
>>7059750
I was ostensibly fired from a food prep job because I was late to work one day. It was actually because I was too slow but no one wanted to tell me the truth for some reason.
>>
If you love food and making food you really shouldn't work in a restaurant.
>>
>>7059751
>>7059764
It's a good place (about £80 a head) and I work full time. Honestly I've thought that this

>You're working fast enough but your management has bullshit expectations and they know it.

is true. There's 31 dishes I'm responsible for, and I've been told that I will soon be expected to handle the station on my own on Saturday nights. But I just don't see how that's possible. My sous chef helps me sometimes and even with both of us working we often find ourselves in the weeds
>>
last bump
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.