[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tortilla General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10
File: santitas.jpg (11 KB, 182x276) Image search: [Google]
santitas.jpg
11 KB, 182x276
What's your favorite tortilla chip?

When do you use flour tortillas?
When do you use corn tortillas?

also what's the deal with these? They're made by Frito Lay, but cheaper. Do they make it from the shitty diseased corn? Or do they just grind it coarser?
>>
Best tortilla chip coming through
>>
>>7051340
thise are made from nixtamlized starchy white corn, which is hominy . It is fine, it is cheaper because it is easier to make than Fritos.
>>
>>7051546
I concur.
>>
Damn it feels good to not have to eat poverty chips
>>
>>7051546
mmm so good
>>
File: elmilagro.jpg (71 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
elmilagro.jpg
71 KB, 700x700
The only things better are fresh-made chips.

I would murder for a bag of El Milagro and a jar of chipotle salsa right now.
>>
So, a tortilla chip pleb here, what's the difference between the good and the bad?
>>
File: tortilla chips.jpg (235 KB, 1067x1428) Image search: [Google]
tortilla chips.jpg
235 KB, 1067x1428
>>7051340
dont get them often but hot damn theyre good
>>
>When do you use flour tortillas?

On the rare days I feel like eating breakfast burritos.

I don't like these anymore. The glycemic load is too high and I feel like a fucking blimp every time I have just one.

>When do you use corn tortillas?

Usually five out of the seven days of the week. We roast a lot of poultry in this house and there's always a lot of it left over throughout the week. Thus, chicken or turkey tacos.
>>
I use corn tortillas for Mexican food and flour tortillas for wraps that aren't Mexican.
>>
File: BiteSizeDippers.jpg (41 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
BiteSizeDippers.jpg
41 KB, 300x432
Herr's Bite Size Dippers has been my go to for years.
Or Tostitos bite size too.

Big tortilla chips are pointless.
Smaller ones make it easier to not double dip since you eat them in one bite and don't have the retarded triangle edges that slice your cheek like a razor if you bite into them wrong.
>>
Yellow corn is best corn. Something about the oiliness.
>>
>>7051340
>What's your favorite tortilla chip?
HEB's store brand yellow corn tortilla chips usually. Sometimes I get Tostitos Scoops.

When I make burritos, quesadillas or fajitas, sometimes tacos if I have some left over from making something else.

When I make tacos or enchiladas.
>>
They all taste pretty much alike.

Wraps/burritos.

Tacos, taquitos, flautas, enchiladas.

>also what's the deal with these?
Dunno.

>They're made by Frito Lay, but cheaper.
Cool.

>Do they make it from the shitty diseased corn? No.

>Or do they just grind it coarser?
Dunno.

Also, I make corn-and-flour pseudotortillas. They're actually more like naan with masa harina in it so it has the delicious flavour of corn tortillas but the moisture and pliability of wheat. I gave the recipe on here a few times. I call them pseudotortillas because unlike regular ones, they're leavened.
>>
>gringos
>>
File: 00894346001025_full.jpg (30 KB, 203x273) Image search: [Google]
00894346001025_full.jpg
30 KB, 203x273
>>
File: 417NNi8IU9L._SY400_.jpg (19 KB, 229x400) Image search: [Google]
417NNi8IU9L._SY400_.jpg
19 KB, 229x400
>>
the ones with lime on them
>>
>>7051340
>made by Frito Lay, but cheaper. Do they make it from the shitty diseased corn?
Things like cereal and chips have about a 400% markup, so they could sell that bag for $1 and still make money.
Corn on the open market sells for maybe $4 a bushel, which is 56 pounds of corn. 90% of your cost in chips is labor, packaging, and transportation. That and marketing; all a store brand has to do is not pay for that cartoon cheetah to be on tv and they can undercut Fritos.
>>
>>7053587
I miss them dearly. Nothing on the East Coast compares.
>>
File: Blue-Corn-chips.png (2 MB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Blue-Corn-chips.png
2 MB, 1000x1500
Aldi Simply Nature Blue Corn Tortilla Chips are the best, just amazing quality for the price.

I usually buy flour tortillas because most corn tortillas in my area are full of gums and preservatives. I've only seen all-corn tortillas in one Kroger and Trader Joe's.
>>
File: dish-devour.widea_.jpg (120 KB, 622x455) Image search: [Google]
dish-devour.widea_.jpg
120 KB, 622x455
These tasty fuckers right here. They blow Santitas and Mission out of the water.
>>
>>7056818
These are the master race of tortilla chips t.b.h
>>
Anyone know how to make home made? how deep should the oil in the pan be?
>>
>>7051546
The round tortilla chips are so fucking good with chilli
>>
>small round chips
>5 dollars

>big triangle chips
>1 dollar

I like round chips more, but they are so expensive even when it's a small portion.
>>
I hate how my tortilla chips are always cold; I guess I could throw them in the oven for when I make Nachos or something, but it'd be odd asking a homeowner to eat them up in the oven if I bring chips and dip to a party or some such. I wish there was some sort of sleek, portable appliance that heated chips to restaurant-quality warmth.
>>
Go cut circles out of literally anything and tell me what happens.

Now cut out triangles.

The easiest method of production is splat some corn dough mix, smash to circle, cut in 1/4''s.

Two cuts per 4 big chips as opposed to stamping circles out of a flat piece.
>>
>>7051340

any 'illa chip works for me, bro
>>
>>7057681
Try a slow cooker on "keep warm" setting.
>>
>>7051340

Homemade. It's easy as hell and cheap too. Get tortillas, cut them into quarters or 6ths like you would a pizza. Deep fry until crisp, which takes just a few seconds. Drain, salt.
>>
>>7057976
This. No lid, or they'll get soggy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.