[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So after a few months of living on my own I finally bought a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 61FLua4UnEL._SL1500_.jpg (105 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61FLua4UnEL._SL1500_.jpg
105 KB, 1500x1500
So after a few months of living on my own I finally bought a crock pot because I keep hearing how useful it is.
I found a few recipes I wanna try but are there any recipes you guys think recommend? At the moment I have a lot of chicken I wanna use up
>>
Soups, stews, chili, pot roasts. Basically anything that would benefit from cooking for a long time at a low temperature.
>>
>>7043447
>>>/r/slowcooking
>>
>>7043447
Lamb shanks, pulled pork, braised brisket are all good. Personally, my favourite is sausage and onion casserole. I'll put the recipe below.

Ingredients (serves 4)

1 tbsp olive oil
8 sausages
3 onions (in half then in thick, half moon slices), sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
500ml beef stock (or chicken)
3 tbsp chutney (or pickle - any type)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper

Method

Set the slow cooker to HIGH
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sausages and quickly brown on all sides, then transfer to the slow cooker
Add the onions to the frying pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown - stir in the flour and cook gently for 1-2 minutes
Make sure you scrape all the flour from the bottom of the pan
Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock - bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until thickened
Stir in the chutney, Worcestershire sauce and pepper
Transfer to the slow cooker
Turn the slow cooker down to LOW, put the lid on and cook on LOW for 5-8 hours
Serve with vegetables and mash

I'm not sure how well terms for sausages translates from England to anywhere else, but I used plain banger sausages. I'm sure you can use any kind of sausage you want though, but I would obviously stay away from hot dogs or cured sausages or whatever.
>>
>>7043477
This, honestly. Pretty insane number and variety of recipes there, and the best of section on the wiki is reliably good
>>
File: braised beef.jpg (340 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
braised beef.jpg
340 KB, 1000x750
is it possible to use a typical crockpot to sear/brown/caramelize ingredients?

or do they just not get hot enough?
>>
>>7043505
This recipe sounds delicious, I'm gonna try that next chance I get
>>
SALSA CHICKEN
>>
>>7043521
Not really. Crockpots dont get hot enough to sear things.

I usually sear meats in a pan first before putting them into the crock pot.
>>
What cut of chicken? Thighs, boneless, drums?
>>
>>7043521
You can use to caramelize onions, but it doesn't get nearly hot enough for searing meat, etc. However, electric pressure cookers (which usually have a slowcooker setting) often have a sear setting as well.
>>
>>7043823
My parents used to have some kind of electric cooking pot thing, fuck if I know what it's actually called, but it had temperature settings from warm up to 400 or 450 degrees for searing so you could sear the meat and everything, then crank the heat down to slow cook everything.
>>
>>7043819
any. A good way to cook just chicken is to lay it on top of a thing layer of onion so it gets cooked without touching the bottom
>>
>>7043840
Sorry I meant to specify, what cut of chicken does OP have a lot of? I've got different recipes for different cuts.
>>
>>7043447
Oh, also if you're gonna cook chicken in the crock pot, then make sure you don't leave it on for more than 5 hours at the absolute most, and preferably use fattier cuts of chicken like thighs. I made the mistake of cooking peanut chicken breasts in the slow cooker for 8 hours and they came out a very bizarre and unpleasant texture. Sort of like wet mush that disintegrated as soon as you touched it, while simultaneously being tastebud-witheringly dry.

I've been too scared to cook chicken in the slow cooker since.
>>
>>7043859
Breasts really aren't great for slow cooking, they tend to dry out and disintegrate like that.

I usually stick with fattier cuts of meat like thighs and legs for slow cooking since the connective tissue and fat in the meat breaks down and makes the meat tender. Since breasts have so little fat and connective tissue in them, they really suck for slow cooking.
>>
>>7043866
>>7043859
I've had success with making buffalo chicken sandwiches using breasts and cooking a little over 6 hours, but I kept a sharp eye on it and added sauce/stock when it looked a little dry
>>
>>7043845
OP here, I have a whole chicken. My mom decided to buy a chicken from Costco and bring it by my place. No idea what she was thinking but I'm sure I'll figure out something to make with it
>>
You should have posted this in the, "stupid shit /ck/ convinced you to try" thread.
>>
>>7044124
I'd do coq au vin then, you can use the thighs and legs for it.

>pat chicken dry and season liberally with salt and pepper
>cook 5 or 6 slices of bacon (cut into chunks) in a heavy skillet until crispy
>brown chicken in bacon fat - just enough to brown, not to cook all the way through; set aside
>saute 6-8 small quartered button mushrooms, 1/2 an onion (diced), and 1 sliced shallot with a hefty pinch of salt until everything is slightly softened and starting to brown
>stir 2 tsp flour and 2 tsp butter into vegetables until everything is mixed and cooked through
>add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and vegetable mixture to crock pot, layer chicken on top with the crumbled bacon and 1 and 1/2 cups of red wine, plus a few sprigs of fresh thyme (or a tsp of dried if you don't have them)
>cook on low for 6-7 hours, season as necessary
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.