[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your opinion of white chefs who claim authenticity for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6
File: images (5).jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
9 KB, 300x300
What is your opinion of white chefs who claim authenticity for stupid reasons like "durp i lived in X country for years"?
>>
>>7037204
What the issue with that?
>>
>>7037204
High. High opinions of them.
>>
>>7037204
Better than David Chang.
>>
>>7037204
Fine with me. They lived there longer than you've been outside of your meth flyover town so what's the problem?
>>
It is extremely common for chefs to study in other countries. And it's not just the white or the American ones. Cooking as we know it only exists because of the movement of ideas and techniques across national borders.
>>
For years >>>>a few months
>>
Yeah, it reminds me of all those AUTHENTIC Thai, Japanese, Viet, Korean, etc restaurants ran by Chinese people.
>>
Bayless is one of those guys you love or hate. He's a goofy motherfucker but he has done a lot of Mexican cuisine in the states.
>>
>>7037226
whats wrong with David Chang?
>>
>>7037204
I have very high opinions on them, and trust them unequivocally on all culinary matters, especially where the food of X country is concerned.
>>
>>7037279
He has good ideas and his restaurants are popular.
>>
>>7037296
Oh no, that's terrible
>>
Who cares so long as their food is good, food isn't good fuck em, food is good, eat it.
>>
>>7037307

It's all the average basement dwelling /ck/ member needs to judge him "overrated" whilst sucking down another plate of pizza pops his mom just microwaved
>>
File: ricker.jpg (178 KB, 940x500) Image search: [Google]
ricker.jpg
178 KB, 940x500
No fucks given.
>>
>>7037204

ITT: white youth argue who hates being white the most.

Rick Bayless is based.
>>
>>7037204
Don't care about that, but I don't like Bayless because he's creepy.

And so is his daughter.
>>
Just give me some good food and I could not care less about your color or where you have lived
>>
>>7037204
White people can't make good food. Period. This is an objective fact.
>>
Bayless is gay and his wife is a cover.
>>
Cooking isn't genetic so I will let the food speak for itself

I don't care if a Mexican chef cooked my Italian meal as long as its better than a Italian born chef
>>
>>7037422
I don't think he's gay, but he definitely made his daughter suck his lollipop as a child.

Probably still continues on to this day. You can feel the weird vibes coming off them both.
>>
>>7037314
Pretty much
>>
I think it's fair to assume "I lived in X country for years" also includes a fair amount of learning to cook from the locals. If you're a cook, and you lived in China for 10 years, I expect at least some of the time you'll have had a job in a Chinese kitchen.
>>
>>7037204
People seriously care about this? As long as they aren't smug about it who cares. Almost everything is based off of a handful of core styles anyway. Shit I'm white and love to cook Indian food. Today I was joking about someday opening an Indian restaurant called The Blue Raja...
>>
For me its a matter of whether or not they can walk the walk.

And as for Bayless, Xoco is the shit.
>>
>>7037422
that makes no sense in this day, age, and part of the world.
>>
>>7037314
Why would you want to fuck someone who makes bad food?

I'd rather have sex with someone who makes good food.
>>
>>7037344
And yet here you are on 4chan
>>
>>7037483
THE TAPESTRIES ARE ALL YELLOW
>>
>>7037581

No one is amused by pedantry
>>
>>7037328
lmao what a fucking weeb
>>
File: Wylie Dufresne & Rick Bayless.jpg (79 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Wylie Dufresne & Rick Bayless.jpg
79 KB, 320x200
>>7037447
You require proof?
>>
>>7037204
Authenticity has nothing to do with the culinary arts and is only valued by people who lack sufficient taste to differentiate good food from bad food.
>>
>>7037812
Fun fact: the one on the right is Crispin Glover's dad
>>
>>7037204
Girlfriend is fresh off the boat Chinese (Szechuan) we take turns cooking 3-4 times a week. I learn her recipes and try my skills on one of my nights to cook. She thinks it's better than hers.
Never been to China but I can cook better Chinese food than a Chinese chick.
>>
>>7037279
He's an overrated nutsack.
>>
>>7037204
It's pretty hard to just disregard Creeper Bayless as a leading expert in Mexican cooking. He's proven himself over and over for the past 30 years. It'd be like disregarding James Beard or Julia Child or Jaques Pepin. You'd deserve a right smack for it.
>>
>>7037849
Goddamn I love me some Crispin Glover.
>>
>>7037807

If anything he'd be a hipster...
>>
>>7037863
So are you enjoying your fried pork assholes?
>>
well considering i don't allow brown people to directly prepare my food, id say i have a high opinion of them
>>
>Hating Rick Bayless

Bayless is more Mexican than 90% of Mexico
>>
>>7037559

not really, beards still happen
>>
>what's your opinion on [insert race here] chefs?

Huh...
>>
>>7038286
It's [import opinion].
>>
>>7037204

He knows how to cook mexican food. Probably better than most spics.
>>
>>7037481
Living in X country doesn't mean a hell of a whole lot if you don't venture out of your ethnic/cultural enclave. I know this from experience.
See, I have an uncle who owns an Italian restaraunt in Shanghai. He's been there for just a little over a decade. Nonetheless, I doubt he knows anything about Chinese cuisine other than how to modify Italian dishes to suit Chinese tastes.
>>
>>7037204
racist much, OP?
>>
>>7037204
Well, white people do most things better.
>>
>>7037204
Why is his cleaver made of brass?
>>
>>7038404
its not brass its an australium
>>
>>7038409
like getting Jobs
>>
If they make the food well I have high opinions of them. Especially Bayless. I don't really see what the problem is. A person who studied a foreign language for 4 years in high school, then 4 years in college, and then spent several years in a country that speaks it is just as qualified to speak it as any native born person.

Also, I don't like brown people touching my food so I honestly prefer it
>>
>>7038071
Aren't those more of an american brown people thing?
>>
>>7037828
said no one ever
>>
>>7037204
If Mexicans can cook white American food then white Americans can cook Mexican food etc.
>>
>>7037204
Mexican American here
Honestly bayless cooks better Mexican than most Mexicans
Remember too that there are white Mexicans, I don't think they'd take well to your implication that they're not real Mexicans because blonde
Immigration was what made Mexican cuisine world class, and most of those immigrants were from Europe or the whiter parts of the middle East
>>
>>7037204
the real question is: can bayless survive without a blender?
>>
>>7039069
Bayless is a good chef but not even close to being a top chef when cooking Mexican food.
>>
>>7037940
How?
>>
>>7037220
lold
>>
>>7039034
b-but white privilege!
>>
File: 2_07_rosler--julia_child.jpg (487 KB, 2400x1854) Image search: [Google]
2_07_rosler--julia_child.jpg
487 KB, 2400x1854
hacks.

this one is a notorious bitch. thought she knew better then pepin in french cooking? L M A O
>>
>>7038426

>i don't like brown people touching my food

I have some bad news for you, anon...
>>
>>7039234
I could be wrong but I thought her and Pepin were best buddies.
>>
>>7037204
I think it's as funny as nigger cooks who claim the same, they're all full of shit. I give them both as I give isis, a state, it's not a state.
>>
If they were so fuckin' good then they wouldn't need to be stupid celebrities or on tv like that faggit ass bourdain on cnn.

CNN and Fox can't even get their facts straight, with this speaker of the house thing going on, they kept saying, both channels, that the speaker of the house is third in line.

That simply wrong, the speaker of the house is second in line. It really makes one wonder about the talking heads on both sides when they can't get simple facts straight.
>>
A lot of stupid music on both CNN and Fox are mean to deflect people from facts which they get wrong, time and time again. It's infotainment not news.
>>
>>7037929
Christina Tosi is worse.
>>
>>7039304
Vice president
>>
>>7037328
I worked for Andy for a few months in Portland at the original Pok Pok/Whisky Soda Lounge location. Say what you want, but the man does Thai food as well as anything I've had in Thailand.
>>
>>7037204
same issue i have with Japs who "studied french cuisine in paris." oh, you don't have an issue with that one, OP? then go back to tumblr
>>
>>7040795

There are more locations?

I went to college in PDX when it was just a shack in a parking lot, and last time I visited WSL had just opened (fucking line for Pok Pok so just ate there).

Now I just bought his cookbook, right after moving from an area full of SE Asian markets...
>>
>>7038071
she has some dishes where the protein is nothing more than chicken hearts and gizzards, which every culture has, but i'm not eating any buttholes other than hers
>>
>>7038367
how is this racist? are there no italian restaurants in china? are there no irish pubs in germany? have you not made another culture's cuisine in your own kitchen?
welcome to the modern world
>>
>>7037204
That Pok Pok guy annoys the shit out of me.
>>
>>7040914

Because he spent a decade banging Thai trannies, watched them cook his breakfast the next morning, taking notes, and then opened up a successful restaurant franchise that started with a chicken shack in a parking lot in Portland?

Seriously though, does he now have a show like Chang or something? I think I've only seen maybe a 2 minute interview and have no recollection of him coming off in any way offending.
>>
>>7037326
So anyone that disagrees with you is a basement dweller? I guess then that you're a fuckin' useless nigger.
>>
>>7040690
Riiight, and by the consitution, 1st in line is VP, then 2nd is speaker of the house.

You might want to read the consistution sometime instead of being a dumb nigger.
>>
File: Zoidberg.jpg (25 KB, 396x349) Image search: [Google]
Zoidberg.jpg
25 KB, 396x349
>>7037204
Problematic. Cultural appropriation includes cuisine and denies minority chefs a chance at success and representing their own culture.
>>
>>7040851
Yes. Locations in NY and LA now, I think. I haven't been to the one here in LA, yet, but that's largely because Thai Town is just another couple miles away and boasts equivalently authentic food for half the price and a quarter the hipster.
>>
>>7040942
Have you considered that nobody gives a shit about yo yo yo nigger bullshit?
>>
File: keep-calm-and-love-pantsu.png (379 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-love-pantsu.png
379 KB, 600x700
>>7040942
Exactly what culture is that? Pants half down, saying yo yo yo, and being morons? Great culture ya got there.

Somehow unless it's MTV nobody is going to watch that and the few people that do aren't buying any products sold by the commercials, they're stealing shit.
>>
>>7040942
reminds of me
>if a foreigner can come into the country and do your job cheaper you deserve to lose your job to them

well, if a chef can come into your country for a few years and cook your food better than you can to the point that people would rather give him money to cook it then you deserve to have your culture appropriated
>>
>>7040957
look guys, an actual 80 year old has joined us!
what's it like being stuck in 1955?
>>
>>7040965
What's your point? That you suck up to niggers because their niggers? Sounds like you're the quota bitch from the 1950's.
>>
>>7040965
This is 2015 bitch, if niggers can't stand on their own two feet by now then they nor anyone deserves government quotas.
>>
>>7040965
You're just a nigger that's scared of losing your "special privs" and shit. Like arabs scared shitless of us finding oil in other places and making them useless.
>>
>>7037264
You mean mexican chefs or Puerto Ricans
>>
>>7040942
if white folks are willing to pay 50x the price they would normally pay at an authentic minority restaurant
than thats not his fault
>>
>>7040941
President is first
VP
Speaker
>>
>>7039304
thank you for posting this. it has truly changed my outlook on life. your wisdom transcends time and space. you, sir, are the definition of intelligence, reason and staying on-topic
>>
>>7041093

The president isn't in line to be the president.

Just because you had to learn more about the US government to earn your green card doesn't mean you understand English yet.
>>
>>7041093
You dolt, the President isn't first in line since he's already President. Therefore Speaker is 2nd in line. Get it? Learn English.
>>
>>7041149
You're welcome, 4chan is always here to help morons such as yourself.
>>
>>7041179
At least someone understands this, it seems to be too much for Fox or CNN.
>>
>>7039304
make sure to post about the carbon tax next
>>
>>7037204
Depends how good their food is. A dude that lived in Thailand for 8 months that blows the pants off Thai chefs has every right to brag. Some twat that went bamboo for 20 years and still can't fried rice can fuck off.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.