[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self taught?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Touhou.full.80401.jpg (171 KB, 1200x853) Image search: [Google]
Touhou.full.80401.jpg
171 KB, 1200x853
For those of you who are self taught in the art of sewing, what resources you used, what did you use for practice? I have found a ton of things on the internet but I donĀ“t know how to filter the good from the bad
>>
Go with youtube sewing channels or blogs that are dedicated to sewing and not cosplay sewing. The cosplay editions tend to be a little shabby and leave out steps.

Grab some old sheets from a yard sale to practice things on and look up
>how to finish seams and edges
>basic sewing machine
>basic handstitching
>installing zippers
>how to read sewing patterns
>>
A few google searches, a simple design, and a bit of time spent working out logistics of each step will take you far starting out. I'm the furthest thing from an expert but what I have learned made no sense on paper until I actually spent time doing it and then focused my research on what problems I had. Keep a seam ripper handy and dive in and you'll at least start to figure out what you don't know
>>
>>9051299
YouTube and fucking up a lot were my teachers
>>
I used youtube quite a bit. I also bought/borrowed books and sewing guides.
My favorite youtuber for some good basic tutorials is IamElleKay, she used to go by secretlifeofabionerd. Old threadbanger is really good too and as much as i dont like to reccomend her yumi king isnt so horrible for a super beginner and someone that isnt looking to get into making patterns.
>>
>>9053811

So much trial and error, yards of cheap broadcloth were sacrificed practicing
>>
>>9051299
It's kind of trial and error. Before the internet was full of sources, I would get books from the librarh to learn. That might work best for you. I practiced making doll clothes first. But knowing what's good or bad depends on if it makes sense to you and when you try it yourself you're like, "ooh I get it." When I find tutorials that I like, I save it to pintrest for future reference
>>
File: 5150GJ0PP4L.jpg (48 KB, 475x375) Image search: [Google]
5150GJ0PP4L.jpg
48 KB, 475x375
I had a friend who knew the basics of sewing, and she walked me through using a sewing machine. She helped me all through my first costume, and I still pick her brain when I'm stumped.

I also picked up pic related at a thrift store for like, $6, and its an awesome resource. Lots of useful terminology so I know what I'm googling. Other than that, just really dumb googling. "How to install a zipper, how to sewing stretch vinyl" things like that.
>>
>>9051299
I'm a dude I sew since I was in 8th grade. I would teach yall if I could, took sewing classes in middle school. It's pretty easy.
>>
When I was like 6 my mom showed me how to sew, and every now and then I do it with her sewing kit.
Not saying I'm good, though
>>
For a noob, a general but reliable rule of thumb for general sewing information is follow tutorial videos made by 50-year-old frumpy women, not cute 20-year-old cosplayers. There are good cosplayer tutorials, but a lot that are really bad technique. It's fine if you just want to throw something together that will last a weekend, but not good if you actually want to learn the craft and make a real hobby of it. Buy a couple reliable sewing books like Reader's Digest, Vogue Sewing, etc. Don't be afraid to suck, and minimize the frustration by starting small and working your way up. A big part of self taught sewing is figuring out what you don't know, and that's hard to do if you just jump into the deep end. If you know someone who sews, a crash course ("this is how you prepare cotton fabric, cut out a pattern for pajama pants, and stitch it together) is really useful if you're starting from absolute zero.
>>
>>9055063
OP here.

Also a dude, my mother taught me some of the most basic, but it has been a while since I did something other than plushies
>>
Basics from my mum, who taught home ec back in the day. The more advanced techniques I got from library books, fashion incubator and corsetry sewing communities.
>>
My mother taught me how to thread and operate a machine when I was eight or nine, and I've been having a long series of revelations since then. Mostly realizing that I'm an idiot and of course I've been doing that wrong for literally 15 years. You can probably hone that time down if you're willing to actually read a book.
>>
A ton of trial & error. A lot of stuff with seeing you just need to jump in & try it.

I've found sewing/quilting blogs run by regular sewing/quilters are really helpful for techniques If I'm looking up for a certain thing.
>>
For a sewing machine: Kinda simple. Read the instructions, look up a youtube video, and try yourself on various test projects. Make some normie things first (like a hat or such) before building up to bigger projects like cosplay.

For hand-stitching: Look up the various ways of sewing online and try them yourself. I'd recommend the machine more but you'll need to hand-stitch at some point for those hard-to-reach areas.
>>
Youtube videos are immensely helpful. I still think simplicity could make a boatload if they had a video service walking through certain patterns. Its so much easier to see something being done than try to figure it out by reading it.

For me it was also picking the right projects to start to slowly grow. Started off with a pillow case, basic, easy, but hey I learned how to do a zipper. Moved on to an apron, pajamas, and just kept climbing from there. When I'd reach a point in a pattern where I didnt understand what they were askingof me I'd try to youtube it and that would usually help a lot. Like other anons have said, cosplay tutorials can be ok but they skip steps. I find older ladies do the best sewing tutorials.
>>
>>9051299
Like others when it came to sewing I usually googled my question and watched a related youtube video. Costuming/SCA forums were helpful as well whenever I made a historical cosplay. There was also a lot of trial and error.

When I started working with fur to make plushies/cat ears and tails I read through different threads on fursuit forum. I learned a lot of tips by going through those forums that I wouldn't have found otherwise.
>>
Does anybody have links to what they consider to be the most useful for learning how to create clothing from scratch, including the basics of altering?
>>
>>9059829
Not free but Craftsy has very thorough professional video tutorials, patterns, and designated chats if you need to talk to the instructor in each of their "classes"
>>
>>9051299
Check your local walmart. There has been okay enough fabric coming into a lot of them as value fabrics. $1-$3/yard. Youtube tutorials, fucking shit up, fuck it up more, get something right, not love how your first 10 thigns look. You'll get it.
>>
>>9053924
Seconding this. Reader's Digest made some excellent how-to books back in the day. This is one of them. They made a needlework guide book as well, and it's also pretty comprehensive.
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for books on patternmaking?
>>
File: 415_600.jpg (24 KB, 600x475) Image search: [Google]
415_600.jpg
24 KB, 600x475
>>9061085
Patternmaking for Fashion Design

>http://www.slideshare.net/petritkamberi524/patternmaking-for-fashion-design-fifth-edition-from-helenjoseph-amstrong
>>
My grandma taught me the basics when I was younger and I took a few sewing classes in high school. She passed away before I really got in to sewing so YouTube has become my teacher. Most of my projects come from Pinterest but if I don't understand a technique I just YouTube it.

>>9053924
I inherited this book from my great grandma and was about to donate it. I'll definitely check it out now!

>>9059852
Would you say their classes are worth the price? Are there any specific ones you'd recommend?
>>
File: Capture.png (928 KB, 1532x862) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
928 KB, 1532x862
>>9061410
First check out the free classes because they are extremely helpful for basics and even things experienced people wouldn't have considered.

Then just take a look through their archive and check out garment construction or find a project set that includes something the resembles a future costume piece you're planning. Maybe one of the jackets series because jackets are a big part of a lot of costumes that are easy to screw up
>>
>>9064833
A lot of those look helpful already! I'll check our what all they have. I really like making dresses and skirts so I'll see if they have anything on those.
>>
Just had my first attempt at sewing a robe. The sleeves were way too narrow. Gonna have to cut them off and try it again.

At least this is all just a proof of concept robe, just to see whether or not I can do it with no experience.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.