[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replicas: how to spot them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14
File: replica.jpg (84 KB, 440x586) Image search: [Google]
replica.jpg
84 KB, 440x586
Without beating a dead horse about replicas, let's talk about how to spot them.
I noticed replicas having a higher quality, so it's really hard to spot them.

Let's share some examples on how to spot certain replicas, like mismatched lace, washed out prints or cut-off borders.
>>
Everyone always posts this as the example, which is just about the only one I know of that can even pass. With the rest, it's pretty obvious and I have not noticed any new others 'of higher quality' examples, please?
>>
>>8938021
This one you can tell on sight because of the lace, the quality of the bodice ribbon, the skirt gathers and the difference in fullness of the waist bow. If you examine them side by side instead of just seeing one or the other worn, the zippers and lining differ slightly also.
>>
File: hl-replica.jpg (72 KB, 650x434) Image search: [Google]
hl-replica.jpg
72 KB, 650x434
>>8938039
Aside from not being flocky(or so I've heard) the Holy Lantern replica looks pretty 'decent'?
>>
>>8938049
But you can instantly tell it's a replica because it's not flocky.
>>
>>8938021
this one seems to have wrong lace/lace not gathered enough, the little ribbon's fucked up, the bow on the waist has the edges done wrong+looks sloppier, no tag and shitty zipper, and the white 'bib' part is differently sized (which affects the pintuck width and button distance)
some of these might be individual flaws of these two specific dresses though so sorry if that's the case
>>
>>8938051
>>8938049
what does 'flocky' mean? I assume that it's some quality or 'feel' of the fabric?
the lace looks a bit off on this one but I could be wrong, I honestly don't know HL that well
>>
>>8938058
Flocky means that the crosses aren't just printed on but are made of velvet-like material. You never see it in pictures, but when worn it's very nice.
>>
File: 4-british-bear-replica.jpg (31 KB, 270x405) Image search: [Google]
4-british-bear-replica.jpg
31 KB, 270x405
>>8938039
>>
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 1024x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195 KB, 1024x436
Photo lifted from an article on harajuju but there was a blog post comparing the 2 JSK (Real vs I think DOL?) side by side in many areas, but I can't seem to find it. Pastel Sprinkles did the review maybe? There's a link out there if you search sugary carnival replica review.
>>
>>8938065
Well that is new to me if it's a replica. Very surprised anyone even paid for a bolt of bootleg fabric for this print even, wasn't it pretty unpopular or was that just the yellow colorway?
>>
File: bad.jpg (108 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
108 KB, 768x1024
>>8938039
By 'higher quality' I mean dresses that are not a trainwreck like pic related.
>>
>>8938069
It was popular. Popular enough to get a MTO in January.
>>
>>8938065
>>
>>8938067
those pleats on the replica are a nightmare, christ.
>>
>>8938078
They are. I've seen 2 Oo Jia replicas, one with the messed up MoitiƩ lace and since I have a couple of pieces with the real lace, if you look at the photo of the real lace, the fake is easy enough to spot. Plus her fabric is always either coarser or thinner depending on the replica so if you know the AP cotton, hers is like, hm, coarser, lower thread count which makes the prints less crisp. Especially at the edges. Her zippers and buttons are also different if you get a peek up close. But usually you can spot her fabric once you've seen it a couple of times. Her waist gathers are sloppier too.
>>
>>8938078
The whole DOL replica of SC is a nightmare. It's like that all over.
>>
>>8938075
This one doesn't have the lace at the bottom sewn on right, I think but can't be sure, I have the AP skirt. I don't own any replicas, I've just been shown some RL and seen some comparisons online. But I do know the Oo jia cotton becomes very easy to spot RL once you've seen it.
>>
I've been considering buying some holy lantern replica fabric to make curtains. Are the lolita assassins going to jump through my windows and kill me if I do?
>>
>>8938098
You or someone has posted this before and judgement calls on who buys replicas for what are derailing. This is just a thread to discuss how to spot them, and discuss the differences between them and the real deal, not beat the dead horse over should I/shouldn't I. Go make another thread if you want to get into that kind of discussion, please.
>>
>>8938064
>>8938051
>>8938064
Not true, I have a holy lantern replica and the print is velvety like you guys described.
I ordered a real one during the MTO and was thinking about doing a comparison.
>>
>>8938115
That would be helpful when it arrives! I'm glad you got a real one.
>>
>>8938119
Me too! I really wanted it but they were so rare/expensive for a long time and I caved. When the MTO came around it felt like Christmas (especially after not being able to get the rerelease).
I think it would be interesting. I got mine before Oo Jia made one and all those ones popped up on taobao after the MTO. The fabric quality is nice so it'd be nice to see how it compares to the real thing. I know it's a replica but it's very nicely made, I wonder if it'd be similar to the OP picture.
>>
>>8938115
Like I said before, I only heard the replica isn't flocky. I don't own it, so I wouldn't know for sure. But I think the comparison would be very interesting.
>>
>>8938126
Which color is it? I have this weird boner for pic related and need more pictures of that colorway
>>
>>8938133
Yeah I'll be sure to take comparison pictures when it arrives.

>>8938134
It's just the regular lavender. I agree, I wish blue was official. I was really tempted to buy that colourway, it looks gorgeous.
>>
>>8938133
If several types were made in different places, I would not be surprised if some were flocky and some were not. Jia always takes pix on her wood floor like that so hers may not be flocky.
>>
>>8938021
Replicas are usually easier to spot irl than in pictures.
It takes a bit to train the eye but believe me, a seasoned lolita can spot a replica from far away. Some of the signs include:
>"sad" bows
>very crispy fabric
>fabric prone to wrinkles
>oddly vibrant colors
>lenghty flat lace
>misprints
>fabric saggyness
And lastly
>the wearer usually looks like wearing an unfitted potato sack.
I'm personally glad to never purchased a replica dress although I was highly tempted when I first began wearing Lolita.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 280x373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 280x373
I know Oo Jia made a Twinkle Carnival replica, but does she make it in the halter jsk cut? & aside from the glitter tulle, is there any obvious difference between the original & the replica dress?
>>
>>8938440
i saw this at a con recently.
>>
>>8938021
I'm a newby and I can tell that that little blue ribbon is cheap looking so does the lace collar. And it is not gathered as much as the real dress. Replica also looks kinda wrinkly.
>>
>>8938440
It's already been stated that Jia's fabric is notibly different than brand fabric and her prints are not as crisp. She uses a cheaper fabric with a lower thread count and you can tell just by looking at it and by the way the dress hangs worn or on the hanger. Why you think she always sets them flat and all spread out on the floor? Because on a mannequin or human, they hang like a rag. Plus her waist gathers are always uneven. The zipper pull is different. People don't get away with passing off their replicas as the real thing in person and it's often even easy to spot online.
And yes, if she has the fabric, she will make any cut you ask for and you'll have another shitty jia replica made. Girls have tried to ask for special details or better lace and she says 'sure, ok, yes' then makes the same old quality she always does. This has been blogged about if you research why (beyond obvious art theft and legality issues) the replicas are really as much a rip off to the consumer as to the brand. They are subpar items for jacked up prices.
>>
>>8939832

>trying to pass off anything by Jia as the real deal

I had her make me a Puppet Circus skirt years ago because the original is so fucking tiny and I'm a 6' Sasquatch, and the first words out of my mouth whenever someone compliments it is "thanks, it's a replica". Why would you ever misrepresent that shit as the real deal? To dupe people into thinking you're more fabulous than you actually are??
>>
>>8939865
Major props to you for being honest! I don't support replicas (we're not gonna have this debate here but I'm stating my opinion and personal preference) but I do appreciate people who don't try to pass a fake as the real thing.
>>
>>8939865
I should have said 'people don't usually try to get away with passing off jia replicas as the real deal, that's not usually why they buy them.' There has been some little speculation of a couple of people maybe attempting it in online photos but replica purchases aren't usually made with intent to try to pass them off, though I've seen people post them and deliberately not list the coord elements and a few will tag the print name even if it's a replica. So there's a little asshattery about it going on. It's usually younger Lolitas who want people to think they have the fabulous real thing, yes.
>>
>>8939865
I have a DDC skirt from her for the same reason and honestly I don't love wearing it because I feel embarrassed about it being a replica, I could never imagine trying to pass it off as the real thing. That's just rude.
>>
>>8939865
Wasn't there this girl on CoF who wrote "Angelic Pretty" first, so it would show above the cut Facebook makes and only below stated it was a replica?
I think most who try to pass it as the real deal just try to hide it and don't say anything at all.
>>
>>8939832
Don't forget that she lied about her workers- claimed she hired poor working mothers with handicapped children and stole a photo from a sewing school and tried to pass it off as them.
Not to mention the many times she's cried about getting criticism and that she's going to stop making replicas and produce her own designs. And she just wants to make poorchan Princess dreams come true ^_____^ sparkle
Sorry it makes me fucking suck how rabid her fans are, when it's clear she's as phony as the dresses she sells
>>
File: P1150136.jpg (180 KB, 800x765) Image search: [Google]
P1150136.jpg
180 KB, 800x765
I have both the authentic and replica melty cream doughnut JSKs, here they are side by side.

I'll come back later to explain (if other gulls haven't already) how you can tell the difference between the two.
>>
>>8940452
lol let's play guess the replica in the meantime.
I think the left one is fake
>>
>>8940452
That's actually really nice, damn it...
The left one is the replica, though.
>>
>>8940452
Right is replica.
>>
File: mcd4.jpg (372 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mcd4.jpg
372 KB, 800x600
>>8940470
I have the real deal too so it was a bit easier for me to tell

- ribbon through ladder lace is thicker on replica. it staggers
- lace around bodice is wrong on right.
- dead giveaway is the waist bow. AP's left looks more fuller
- gathers are uneven on right
>>
>>8940452
I think the right one is the replica.
>>
>>8940452
Is the lace on the straps actually the same?
>>
>>8940452
Hmmmm.... Maybe right is the true one
>>
>>8940492
Looks like it. I have some taobao pieces with the same lace though, it's not custom.
>>
File: P1150206.jpg (283 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
P1150206.jpg
283 KB, 700x1050
>>8940492
>>8940496
The pattern is the same, and it looks really similar, but the lace is not identical.

Note that the lace available from laces.taobao.com is not the same lace Japanese brands use. It's good quality and soft, but the detail on the tulle lace from taobao is noticeably less sharp than the "same" lace used on my brand pieces.
>>
File: P1150201.jpg (183 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
P1150201.jpg
183 KB, 500x750
>>8940710
Dropping additional pic of the replica MCD lace
>>
>>8939916
There's been a lot of cases lately of girls with replicas only listing the brand, or the print, and not mentioning anywhere that it's a replica unless someone straight up asks them. There was that one girl recently who even tried to deflect people who asked her in the comments. But it's always easy to spot. I don't support replicas, but it's better just to admit it outright or not to post to CoF at all. At least you aren't trying to fool anyone, you know?
>>
What about replica shoes? I see those everywhere and nobody seems to mind. Are they looked down upon less than replica dresses?
>>
>>8939832
Should have stated more of the reason why I asked about the specifics. I wanted to know because I'm buying the authentic jsk & I wanna compare the difference when it arrives.
>>
>>8940999
In my experience, a lot less.
Brand shoes are notoriously low quality and over priced, and it's difficult to make a shoe design that's 'normal' for lolita and not have it be similar to an offbrand in the first place.
>>
>>8940452
>>8940713
That is a damn good replica! I admit I would totally buy it if it wasn't frowned upon. I'd never wear it to a meet but would love to wear it when by myself.
>>
>>8941171
Same here anon.
I honestly would love to have a replica of a few of my dresses, that way I can wear the replicas in casual coords and not worry about ruining them.
>>
>>8940452
I have an MCD replica as well because I'm terrified of snagging the chiffon on the real thing and honestly, it's pretty good. The fabric is soft, the lace isn't scratchy, and the skirt is nice and full. No point trying to pass it off as the real thing, but it's good for casual wear and not having to worry about ruining ~precious burando~
>>
>>8940999
I've never met a person that hated on replica shoes.
It's more about the art theft with the prints that pisses people off.
Shoe designs, not so much. Unless it contains a brand name, I guess?
>>
I have a SDD taobao replica, if anybody is interested in me taking pictures of the lace and details for reference.
>>
I'm wondering if anyone has the real Dream Marine JSK and the replica from this taobao store and can compare the differences?
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z3o.7695460.0.0.FiKNgV&id=44170826529

From what I can see in the pictures/reviews the printing quality seems ok and there isn't too much lace on the dress in the first place. I decided to get the replica for summer-wear and I have no intention of trying to pass it off as the real thing (not that anyone around me in university will even know what Angelic Pretty is) but I am planning on getting the real deal at some point for meetups and such.
>>
File: P1150138.jpg (155 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
P1150138.jpg
155 KB, 800x680
>>8940452
Okay, I'll reveal which is the real MCD now. If you don't have the real thing, it can be pretty hard to tell, however >>8940479 already gave some tips.

Yes, the right one is the replica.
>>
File: P1150141.jpg (144 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P1150141.jpg
144 KB, 800x600
>>8940452
>>8941749
At a glance, especially if you can't see the lace, the two look extremely similar. However the braid used in the bodice seams has a larger spacing than the real braid, which should be a dead giveaway for anyone selling the replica or wearing it. The spacing of the top ladder lace was already previously noted, and in addition it's subtle but the print on the replica is slightly lighter and greenish tinted. The replica chiffon seems to be printed on one side while AP's chiffon is slightly rougher but the dye has penetrated through the entire fabric (the print is vivid on both the right and wrong side).
Minor thing also worth mentioning, the replica has a gathered organza layer in the lining, but it seems to crush and wrinkle more easily (the print chiffon also takes wrinkles more than the real thing) than AP's.

Also note the lace differences here >>8940713, the replica doughnut lace seems to be more "blurry" with the "AP" being more difficult to make out. The strap lace has smaller dots on top, while the replica lace dots are the same size as the layer below it.
>>
>>8941759
Oh, and one more thing, the replica velvet ribbon is darker and more grey toned (already mentioned in some warning posts about the replica OP). It's more stiff with a shorter pile than the real ribbon, and generally not as nice to the touch.
>>
>>8939883
uggh this, we have a girl in my comm we've dubbed replica chan because she buys off loli-loli thinking no one will know and say she bought her dream AP dress. Like can you stop with your shit and just say you're a cheap ass wanting to look like you bought brand ><
>>
>>8941609
do it
>>
>>8941749
The mix in responses shows the "you can spot replicas a mile away" thing isn't always true, at least not in photos. I even prefer the more subtle replica lace on the bodice, though the AP top ladder lace is nicer for sure.
>>
>>8941749
Is this the MCD replica on My Lolita Dress?
>>
>>8942805
Honestly, replicas are becoming better and better nowadays, they're not like a few years ago.
Especially with taobao shops mass producing them frequently.
>>
>>8942814
Yes, this replica is from Swiss Blue Bird, and I'm fairly sure MLD sells that one. Half cup milk did sell a replica of both the op and jsk recently, but those are sold out now.
>>
>>8940999
Lots of people can't fit into brand shoes, and the ones who can sometimes choose to go with cheaper options because brand shoes are widely regarded as being absolute shit. You can also get a certain degree of customization with them. I remember seeing a few people hate on replica shoes forever ago on EGL iirc, but they were mostly lifestyle lolitas who didn't own any lolita.
>>
Did the anon getting HL replica get theirs yet?
I'm getting my HL high waist jsk in soon and was going to order a replica in the green color. (and maybe a white op because I'm too worried about ruining a real white one, white is a stain attracter regardless of how careful you are)
>>
>>8938048
The print is also more saturated in the replica.
>>
>>8940452
I guessed that the right was the replica because it seems to have a longer bodice. AP and I don't get along because of their awful short bodices, so I saw that right quick.

Anyway most of this is about AP replicas, but I'll throw in a bit about AatP ones.
-AatP uses the same godforsaken rose scallop lace on nearly everything -somewhere-. It's not a custom lace afaik, but something to look for.
-Print fabrics for AatP are always textured, you can see the weave of the fabric. It's subtle but a dead giveaway because I'm pretty sure all AatP replicas use smooth fabric. The fabric for most replicas looks "crunchier" than the real deal too.

Thankfully AatP replicas aren't half as common as AP ones.
>>
>>8943013
>Lots of people can't fit into brand shoes
And lots of fatties can't fit into brand dresses. Yet those aren't excuses for replicas.
>brand shoes are regarded as shit
Spoken like a clown-foot poorfag.
>>
>>8943692
retard, nobody's going to try to shove their feet into overly small shoes. we're not cinderella's fucking sisters and this isn't the matter of trying hard enough. I'm pretty sure none of us got a shoe size selection screen before birth

>this is probably bait but I'm an autist
>>
>>8943718
And fatties shouldn't try to shove their rolls into overly smaller dresses. You think a fattie will attempt to try on an unshirred OP with a 68cm waist? Kek to you, autist.
>people can't just admit their hypocrisy for buying design-specific knockoffs
>>
>>8943723
which is exactly why we don't buy them and leave them for someone who can actually fucking enjoy them you dipshit, whereas fatties buy 'goal dresses' which half of them won't ever fit in, or buy two dresses and sew them together, ruining 2 perfectly good dresses to make a curtain that fits around their rolls. have you ever seen sales pics of fatty dresses? have you ever seen the seams on those?
and like, what the fuck do you want us to do, go barefoot because BL never has stock?
>>
>>8943748
>which is exactly why we don't buy them and leave them for someone who can actually fucking enjoy them you dipshit

...that still doesn't justify you buying a design knockoff of a brand's shoe lmfao.
Omg, you actually repackage your theft as a "favor" for other people, like holy shit. How about you buy offbrand shoes, or go to places that do original pieces with custom sizing, instead of buying your knockoff pieces like an entitled fattie fat fatterson?
>>
>>8943692
Brand shoes usually are shit, and I own and wear them.
>>
>>8943749
The shoes are hardly original in most cases. Most brands have exactly the same 'design' of shoes as the next.
Personally, my feet fit brand shoes, but there's no way I'm shelling out that much for shitty synthetic materials.
>>
>>8943749
Diff anon, I fit, own and wear brand shoes but saying that they're worth the price is laughably naive. They're plastic. Sure, they have a nicer design and are a little more padded but they're definitely not worth the price tag brands put on them.
>and this comes from a gigantic brandwhore
>>
>>8943771
>They're plastic.
Know what else is made of plastic, resin, and cheap metals? Brand jewelry. Yet there would be (and there has been) massive outrage over people making replicas or knockoffs of brand jewelry, namely AP.
Do you think a plastic AP ring is actually worth $25?
Or better yet: Do you think mass-produced fabric made in China and sewn into dresses by the bulk is actually worth more than $280?

The price you're paying, brandwhore, is to support the designer and the product's uniqueness. The truth is most brand products only cost a fraction to produce than what they are priced for.
>>
>>8943781
Actually, brand dresses aren't made by the bulk by children in China. I can't find it right now but there was a docu a while back on how btssb make their stuff. You need to watch that.
Also, no I don't mind paying $30 for resin jewellery because it has an AP tag on it, because that jewellery is going to be resting between layers of fabric or safely stuck to my fingers. Those $150 brand shoes however are going to be walked around filthy streets, making direct contact with the ground. Plastic for that is just a bad choice for materials, brand or not.
>>
can we please stop replying to hw chan?
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.