[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modest-fying a cosplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
Changing little things on a cosplay to make it more modest? Yay or nay?
>>
The OP pic is the only clear example I could find, but I mean stuff like; making a skirt a bit longer, or instead of thigh high stockings, just a full panty hose.
>>
>>8885103
If it makes you feel more comfortable, then absolutely do it.
>>
I agree with >>8885173, being comfortable is pretty important.

Not exactly related to modesty but... I cosplay a character that wears knee socks, but I hate my knees so I usually wear over the knee ones. Is it technically innacurate? Yes. But it makes me feel better and more confident.
>>
I have a lot of scars on my legs due to sensitive skin. So even for characters that wears knee socks I will wear a skin coloured tights beforehand and then wear the knee socks. Fake OTK tights are a godsend to me as I can have some coverage on my legs but having the ZR look still.
>>
If JNig and Yaya can sluttify every design they come over and be praised, you can absolutely make yours more modest.
>>
I think what's more important is that you give the same impression as the character if you want to be more comfortable while cosplaying, rather than cosplaying accurately and having a costume that look weird or uncomfortable. By weird I mean that some characters have fucked up proportions so wearing the exact same costumes as them would look super weird. Like these anime or video game girls with very short skirts and whose bodies are 80% legs.
>>
>>8885188
Strange how relatable this is. I also struggle with liking my knees. Technically there are no rules to cosplay, but I plan on doing this for my upcoming cosplay. Glad someone else does :)
>>
>>8885197
Yes. Seamless tights. Also, I will only do cosplays with long sleeves since I have all sorts of scars from mosquito bites.
>>
>>8885197
Anon would you mind sharing brands/where you get your tights? I have a newly acquired nasty bit of skin and scar on my leg thanks to a recent accident but I'm too stubborn to put previously-made cosplay plans on hold and many of the costumes in question involve short skirts or shorts.
>>
Yes, some characters have awkwardly short skirts because of the art style, but in real life you'd be showing off your butt 90% of the time when the character isn't supposed to even be sexy.

Add those few inches, it probably looks better anyway.
>>
>>8885188
Same here, anon. I tend to pull my socks to the midway point on my knee and just wear them there, if not above the knee. Knees in general aren't very cute
>>
>>8885386
Not that anon, but try dance tights- discountdancesupplies carries them for around 6 dollars. Get a pair in your skin tone and wear them with any cosplay that involves leg, they really help a lot
>>
I definitely feel like costumes can and should be altered so that the person inside of them feels comfortable; I actually quite like seeing little changes that people make to a costume whether it be for modesty or not. Maybe it's just because I got tired of seeing carbon-copy costumes and stopped caring about accuracy as much because of that, but personal twists are always fun to see imo.
>>
>>8885522
I think accuracy is overrated sometimes, I mean when /cgl/ still had Dangan Ronpa generals half of the time they were busy bickering about that nobody could do Junko's wig right.

Some things just don't translate well, I'd rather have things look more natural and fitting to the cosplayer, then making them look weird just to make everything more accurate.
>>
Just like its skimpy counterpart, it all depends entirely on individual execution.
>>
>>8885103
Just don't complain when no one wants to take pictures of your boring cosplay.
>>
Comfort is for the birds, real cosplayers are ok with suffering for their art.

I understand small things that don't make much of a difference but help personal mental issues, but when it gets to stuff like OP >>8885103 like putting a fucking hijab on Miku, then its way too far and totally inaccurate.

This encourages problems in the whole jfash community worldwide desu, it gives off the message, "if its too uncomfortable you don't have to, you can make it easier and be casual" and then people start extending it to not wanting to spend money on good materials or brand, they're just having fun.
>>
>>8885588
I will add, if making a costume more comfortable or modest translates into putting less effort into wearing it or emulating the character, then its bad and wrong.

If it doesn't result in you being lazy, then its fine.
>>
If you're cosplaying for yourself and to make yourself happy, then I see nothing wrong with modest-fying. If you cosplay for recognition or validation from other people, then you should try to meet those expectations. There's plenty of middle ground too.
>>
>>8885103
It actually pisses me off alot when I see people choose a super sexy character, and then change the outfit so that it's not as revealing.

Like, if you don't feel comfortable cosplaying someone sexy, then pick a different character. Fuck.
>>
>>8885621
> I CAN'T MASTERBATE TO YOU DIRTY MODEST GIRLS REEEE!!!
>>
>>8885621
Going to point out that some revealing costumes don't actually work in real life because they require anti-gravity boobs so there's a reason cosplayers change the design.
>>
>>8885648
I actually can so jokes on you, i just find it hideous that they want to lie about what they can handle cosplaying.
>>
File: girl_hijab_by_saurukent-d5i1jeq.jpg (161 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
girl_hijab_by_saurukent-d5i1jeq.jpg
161 KB, 900x1165
Have another
>>
>>8885648
>triggered
>>tumblr
>>
>>8885663
Not my problem. lol
>>
Even though it isn't accurate, I still think it looks adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHGdwB19Kc
>>
I live in a Muslim country so I see this shit often. It's pretty interesting to go to a con and see cosplays of Jinx or other half-naked cosplayers right next to hijabi cosplayers.
>>
File: captain arabia.jpg (45 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
captain arabia.jpg
45 KB, 240x240
>>8885103
All depends how well it's done, just like any other modification.
>>
>>8885648
Different anon, but I was about to post the same thing as them.

I think there's a difference between someone cosplaying a sexy character and making subtle adjustments to be more modest, and someone taking a very obviously and intentionally sexual outfit and blatantly changing it to be something different for modesty.

I always think of the KLK uniforms. he outfit is made to show off as much skin as possible, so why decide to wear it if you're just going to change it so much? The characters have a ton of outfits of varying coverage, why not pick one of those? Cons may have rules about how naked you can be, but there are still subtle ways to adjust it to make yourself more covered without looking retarded.

That said, I agree with pretty much everything else in this thread. I just think it's dumb when people decide to wear something designed to be sexual but don't want to go through with it.
>>
If you can't cosplay, don't. This is just attention seeking.
>>
What's cgl opinion on covering a bare midriff cosplay? I'm really uncomfortable with showing my belly because I have stretchmarks from my landwhale period and I'm not comfortable with showing that at a con, but there are some characters that show stomach that I really like..
>>
>>8891033
Depends on how important the bare midriff is to the character, and how good a job you do of covering it up while still being recognizably the same character.

Also, I think there are coverup creams that can make the stretchmarks less visible while you're cosplaying.
>>
File: 1438567008126.png (30 KB, 392x349) Image search: [Google]
1438567008126.png
30 KB, 392x349
>>8890070
>>
>>8890070
>"attention seeking"
>thread is basically about showing less tiddy

>being this retarded

I feel so sorry for you, anon. :^(
>>
>>8890070
Who hurt you?
>>
I couldn't given any less of a shit. I don't see why anyone would to be honest.
>>
>My friends make fun of me for my cosplay skirts always being so long lol. I just like my skirts a little longer oki ;_;
I think this girl is attractive but that long, saggy skirt is embarrassingly unflattering. She looks shapeless and awful.
>>
>>8891088
>>8891098
>>8891099
I appreciate all the replies, ladies. Keep em coming.
>>
>>8891927
I think it looks okay?
>>
>>8885103
It depends on how much modification you do and whether it looks good or not. Obviously not everything in 2D translates well to 3D, everyone should know this. If you need to lengthen a skirt or add shorts/tights/unitard/etc under an outfit for modesty, nobody is going to hate you for it.

However, shit like OP's pic and actual character modifications such as "slutty" modifications, genderbends of homosexual characters, humanizations of characters that are already 90% humanoid, and other AU versions of characters are usually pretty bad.

Like I'm sorry but hijab versions of characters look like garbage, you don't look like the character and you know that character isn't Islamic. Wearing a wig isn't going to make men come up and rape you for not being 200% modest. Hell, even the girls behind her aren't wearing hijabs.

I also agree with >>8890070, I feel like this is a form of attention seeking because shit like this gets hundreds of likes on tumblr, facebook, and reddit because western people are retarded and don't get that not all Muslim women are hijabi. They'll say they support Muslims but you'll find that a lot of them are the same shitty white girls that wear hijabs and think they're supporting the religion when they're not. It's the same idea as someone going around wearing a cross necklace every day and going "oh yeah, I support christianity" when it is absolutely no benefit to christians or christianity to do so.

Sorry for the /pol/-tier rant, cosplay modifications are okay as long as it's in good taste.
>>
>>8891927
If she had a petti it would look nicer
But that's just me of course
>>
>>8893638
What? Why the fuck would you wear a petti with a seifuku?
>>
>>8891927
The cosplay is not flattering to her body type she should have chosen Satsuki.
>>
>>8893771
Because people should always cosplay who they look like right? She would look fine with a petti. Plus long skirted Satsuki would not look much better, both are short skirt/dresses.
>>
>>8895346
What are you going on about with petticoats with seifukus? This isn't lolita
>>
>>8895346
Satsuki actually wears a long skirt at one point.. during the flashbacks to when she was fighting the four devas iirc
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.