[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polymorph plastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: $_1.jpg (20 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
20 KB, 400x305
Polymorph plastic thread.
>>
File: FEQFQPGH5TUC4J7.MEDIUM.jpg (39 KB, 620x541) Image search: [Google]
FEQFQPGH5TUC4J7.MEDIUM.jpg
39 KB, 620x541
Anyone who has already used to for a cosplay?
>>
>>8693017
What's that for? It looks cool.
>>
>>8694810
Looks undertale related
>>
Tell me how ro get it for cheap in Australia.
>>
>>8695105
If you're in Brisbane, buy it off me. I bought friendly plastic, which appears to be the same thing as this, years ago and never really used it.
>>
>>8695105
I bought it in Melbourne as 'plastimake'. It seemed really cool and useful but it wasn't really. I think the only reason i'm hanging onto mine is some grand dreams of attempting worbapie.
>>
>>8694810
They're little plastic balls, you heat them up in water and they turn clay-like. After you mold them, they cool off and it's back to hard (but flexible) plastic.
>>
>>8694810
I just realised that you meant the hand.
It's from a tutorial on how to mold the polymorph into a hand. http://m.instructables.com/id/Simple-Polymorph-Hand/
>>
Not even a cosplayer and this stuff looks interesting. How soft is it to the touch after molding? Can it be painted easily? Is it heavy?
>>
>>8698916
My gf helped me making a mask with this material: it isn't heavy at all since it's plastic, but it was a pain to paint, so we used acrylic paint spray and the outcome was quite good in my opinion.
As for its consistency, it's just a type of plastic, it's soft when it is hot but it gets firm rapidly, in which case you can reuse hot water or use a hot air gun
>>
>>8699013
What level of detail can you achieve with this? I have a heat gun, can I use it after it hardens to further define the shape?
>>
>>8699075
I can only talk from personal experience, but I found that it was really easy to work with for making detailed shapes. I'd still suggest initially melting the pellets together using hot water before using the heat gun, it's just easier. I also used flour as a filler (just the same principle as how worbla is made) which also helped keep the polymorph a bit less fluid and wobbly whilst molding it.
>>
>>8699013
Do you have a picture of that mask?
>>
>>8695145
Brisbane anon here.

How much?
>>
>>8693016
Any suggestions on projects this would be good for? I have a lot of ideas, but I don't have enough experience with this to be sure if it'll work. But it looks really interesting.
>>
I've used this stuff. It's pretty neat, but not ideal for large surfaces. The mask in pic related was a fair bit of work.
Spraypaint worked beautifully, took only one or two layers to get the coverage you see here.
>>
I just stumbled upon this fashion designer who uses polymorph plastic for her clothing. It is cool and something I am going to definitely use if I ever need to do something similar for a costume.
>>
>>8705636
More examples of her work.
>>
>>8705636
>>8705639

Sauce?
>>
>>8705636
how do you even begin to do that
>>
>>8705780
probably first molding flat then plying it up with a heat gun and molding it around the dress form
>>
>>8705769

Not the same Anon, but that's Linda Friesen, 4 O' Clock
>>
>>8705793
thanks a bunch~
>>
>>8705780
I think she covered for form with a mock up then pencils in the designs and start tracing over it with the polymorph shapes. You can see the pencil lines designs under it.
>>
File: nekis.jpg (660 KB, 683x900) Image search: [Google]
nekis.jpg
660 KB, 683x900
Not the best Kaneki cosplay but I used it for the teeth. It was pretty easy to work with (I used a hair dryer) and it dried to the white colour you see without any need for painting so I say pretty ideal for teeth. It's also really light weight too and easy to stick to shit.
>>
So does this stuff melt to a creamy consistancy, and then we can use it to mold and trace things? That's hella rad, thanks. I didn't know about this stuff.

>>8704517
mind detailing how you went about it?
>>
>>8706746
Poured the pellets in the basic shape on a sheet of teflon, then folded the sheet over to cover the pellets and ironed them to melt them into one big surface. After that I cut off the excess material from the outlines with an x-acto knife to get the sharp corners looking right. I might be able to dig up some photos of the process of making the mask if you want.
>>
Would it be possible to make good looking armor with this stuff?
>>
>>8707138
I feel like it's better suited to detailing as it's pretty hard to make the pellets into a big, smooth piece of plating.
>>
It's the same stuff as worbla and wonderflex, but in its pure form without the fillers and shit
>>
>>8706903
Thats actually genious anon thank you
This actually gives me a bit of hope that I might be able to pull of a prop of some kind in the future
>>
This looks like a lumpy, blobby trainwreck. And if it melts with a hair dryer, that means it will melt in the back of a car or on a hot day. I'm not convinced this is good for cosplay
>>
>>8709860

As if most thermoplastic doesn't act that way in the back of a car on a hot day.
>>
>>8693016
Does anyone know if this is safe to have in your mouth?
I saw a tutorial of someone making fangs out of it and I'd love to use it for teeth props and things like that, like >>8706152 said, it has a very good color for teeth, and then you'd mold it to your own teeth making it fit you perfectly
I'm only worried that it's toxic or something
>>
>>8710295

It's non toxic.
>>
>>8709826
Little word of warning though, it was hell to cut through the thick sheet I made (the black part of the mask). Cutting the thinner layer was doable enough.
>>
I really want to get some of this stuff to experiment with, but I can only find it on like aliexpress or ebay
Would it be safe to buy from there? Or does anyone know any places that sell it that ship worldwide?
>>
>>8711131
uhh, did you forget that amazon exist or something?
>>
>>8711131
This is literally the same thing as Friendly Plastic which is easy enough to find stateside if that's where you're buying from.
>>
>>8711131
Dude this. >>8711164

It's at Michael's craft stores. Download a 40% off coupon from their website.
>>
>>8711160
Is Amazon safe then? I'm only used to buying of Aliexpress and there it's pretty much "trust nobody"
>>8711172
>>8711164
No I'm from Sweden, so buying from somewhere in the us would probably make shipping super expensive
>>
>>8693016
Does anyone know if worblas deco art is non toxic? It works like polymorph (gets soft in hot water) I want to make some teeth out of it but I'm not sure if it would be bad to walk around with it in my mouth
>>
>>8710295
PCL is the stuff you get with fake teeth to fit to your own teeth. It's fine.
>>
>>8711769

It's all the same base thermoplastic, it just goes through tons of names. Worbla and wonderflex appear more volumous because of added fillers like sawdust is all
>>
Any reliable sellers on Amazon?
>>
>>8705639
>>8705636
Damn, seeing this kind of stuff makes me wish I could afford it just to make cool dresses.
>>
>>8721060
It's not ultra expensive compared to other materials you get for this hobby, anon. Giant tub for <$30USD.

http://amzn.com/B00CAL4BRU
>>
>>8711172
What is it packaged as at Michael's? And what section of the store? I don't think my Michael's carries it, but it would be nice to be able to pick some up quickly if I need to (not to mention coupons).
>>
Do you think I could use this to make Daenerys's belt in that one dress everyone does? (I don't know shit about GoT but I'm making my sister a cosplay for it)
>>
>>8722976
No idea, but here's the online listing
http://www.michaels.com/friendly-plastic-pellets/10436169.html
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.