[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Texas Conventions 2015-2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 12
What Texas conventions do you plan to attend for 2015-2016. Which have you enjoyed most and why? Which conventions are you avoiding going forward? What are your Texas convention cosplay plans?
>>
>which to avoid

Onicon. How is it even still going?
>>
File: gundam it.jpg (57 KB, 591x388) Image search: [Google]
gundam it.jpg
57 KB, 591x388
Planning to go to Anime Matsuri, Probably won't do a hotel there because I live about 40ish minutes away from the convention center, haven't thought much about other cons yet. Plans are to start working on my Gundam soon. Pep files are so confusing when not numbered..
>>
>>8655018
>going to anime matsuri
topfuckingkek
>>
>>8655024
topfuckingmeme faggot. Why not be useful and list some others that are worth going to then instead of sperging your opinion.
>>
File: 1372140670318.png (475 KB, 588x579) Image search: [Google]
1372140670318.png
475 KB, 588x579
>>8655032
>>
File: thumbs.jpg (143 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
thumbs.jpg
143 KB, 500x354
>>8655034
Good job keeping the thread relevant.
>>
>>8655001
What's wrong with it? They moved to Galveston and the convention center there is okay and there's other stuff to do and plenty of places to eat. I;m nota fan of Galvestons beach but who is?. Matsuri is nice but all the drama behind it is insane.

Musical guests this year at oni-con are people I have never heard of, Matsuri is usually pretty good with guests, nightmare was great, but I eh...
>>
>>8655043
I'm not part of that drama, nor do I know about it so that's not too much of an issue.I'll look up oni-con, any complaints about nightmare?
>>
I'm finally working a job where I'm able to take days off without having a doctor's note, so what are some of the top Texas cons? I'm from Austin and I know all the small cons here are ass, but I don't care about having to drive.
>>
>>8655063
oh I meant Anime Matsuri had Nightmare as a guest and it was absolutely fantastic to see them. honestly if you are an average con goer it's just fine!

The other cons I know about are Delta H con which used to be held at University of Houston and was pretty pathetic but I heard it's moved and now there is Anime overload and Ikkicon in Austin. I generally have a positive outlook on cons since I'm just there hanging with friends so none of them are super horrible imho...except Delta H con
>>
I might go to Comicpalooza in Houston. How is the cosplay scene there?
>>
>>8655071
Ohh, good to know. What are the complaints about matsuri? I mean does the drama effect average con goers in general or is it more hush?
>>
>>8655081
In my opinion it doesn't affect a basic con goer at all. I would not recommend volunteering as its more stress than its worth. The drama is usually between guests/vendors/volunteers/ and old PZ members. I know some people aren't supporting the con because of moral and what the owner was accused of, which I do understand. There is an article in Houston press about it if you're interested (http://www.houstonpress.com/news/anime-matsuri-organizer-accused-of-sexual-harassment-7541555 ). As someone going in blind you're more than likely to have a good time. There's a lot of people a lot of well done cosplays, nice dealers room (I loved it).

only problem I had was lack of organization, security staff didn't know what they were doing and constantly directed people different ways, tech difficulties, and some panels pushed back . But that's honestly not much to complain about since that can happen any convention.
I'm really trying not to derail or drama monger but it is interesting for people to be aware of since it got so big.
>>
iffy abt attending comicpalooza after the negative letter tall princess posted
>>
>>8655043
>what's wrong with it

They can't plan or run anything. The year pre-reg opened 3 weeks before the con. The year one of the cosplay judges was drunk, during judging. Every year programming is a joke and nothing starts on time. They just book the same guests over and over again. They keep insisting they are still a Houston con. The last time I was there a few years ago the dealers room was only half full. AM is getting a lot of attention recently for being poorly managed but they have nothing on Onicon.
>>
>>8655001
I loosely know some of the organizers of that convention. How could I approach them about the quality of their con without sounding pretentious? It's not worth $45-50 for a pas
>>
File: 1.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
>>8655080
The cosplay scene has revised it self, not many "serious business"& dramas out around here, and many are so elite they no longer take part. Tec& resources are fair human resources are some what scarce.
>>
>>8655310
I don't think it's pretentious to tell them that they offer less than other similar events, but charge more. If they're actually half decent at running the event they'll listen to feedback with an open mind. Unfortunately if their previous record of organizing the thing is any indication they aren't decent at all.
>>
>>8654969

Going to these because I still have good times at them:

Ikkicon
PAX South
Anime Matsuri
Mizuumi-Con
A-Kon
San Japan
Realmscon

Went once, never again:

Anime North Texas
Anime Overload
Delta H Con
Omnicon

The ones I've dropped:

AFest
Oni-Con

I still haven't gone to RTX because I'm not a huge RT fan.
>>
>>8655024
I am going to AM.
AM might have drama but I really don't care because they are the only con who bring a shit ton of lolita brands. Not even Rufflecon is doing that.
>>
>>8656464
They get good guests but things drop and are so fucking unorganized, it's not even worth it for me anymore. If I wanted to go just to shop from all the loli brands, I'd rather just shop online and not pay for a badge for some shitty con.
>>
Can someone tell me some stuff (positive, negative, neutral) about Ikki and San Japan? I've only ever went to Anime Matsuri and I'm really trying to branch out at the moment and I would really like to attend Ikki and San Japan.
>>
File: IMG_9110.jpg (545 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9110.jpg
545 KB, 1920x1080
>>8656408
old fan of RT here, i've only been to RTX twice (this year and last year) and while the first the first time i went i was super into it, i still had fun the second time with not even having seen RT in over 7 months. except i brought a friend the first time and it was much better (this year it was only me and my brother, kinda boring but we smoked the whole time & it was a super chill con).

with mentioning that, RTX is a good party con. i mean we have 6th street, that's already the entire weekend secured if you can't find any actual con/room parties.

good panels, plenty that aren't RT/AH related, staff has always been nice and try their best. oh, but it's super fucking smelly sometimes just because of the general fanbase and the constant 100+ degree weather lol. i mean like more than the average con funk.... i don't do this it to make a scene at all, but i have to cover my nose sometimes because it just fucking burns... usually from waiting in lines...

sorry for super long post, pic is a shot i captured @ RTX 2014. that guy was going fucking ham
>>
>>8656919
sorry for sideways;; orz
>>
The only Texas con I'm gunning for right now is RTX.

After I finally accomplish that, I'll eventually try the others . . . except for Anime Matsuri. Nnnnnnnnope.
>>
>>8656798
San Japan is great. Never had any problems there other than the Hyatt instigating the bracelets rule, but I blame retarded weebs for that. Lots of fun panels and good cosplayers. Been to 3 so far.
>>
>>8656464
>lolita
>going to AM

fuck you tbh
>>
Anime Matsuri steals from people, including their friends and Japanese guests. If you spend money there you are supporting this.

If you spend money on smaller cons, they will eventually be able to afford better guests. And hopefully they will do so without robbing anyone.
>>
I love Afest but holy fuck their badges this year were stupid expensive for onsite. Still probably my favorite con because it's just super laid back and I can always have a good time seeing friends.
>>
>>8656408
Omnicon is shit, I don't know how they're still running if they have such a low budget. They would do better as a one day event than an actual convention.
>>
File: 062.gif (359 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
062.gif
359 KB, 165x115
Going to anime matsuri because idgaf about loli dramu
>>
>>8657218
The owner of Omnicon is just too fucking stubborn and set in their ways. Theyve been pitched ideas for adult oriented panels and are so stuck on only offering family friendly ones. To top it off their dealers room is garbage. 60% bootlegs with almost no variety. And seriously move the fuck out of that convention center, its not doing you any favors. No outside food or drink? Just take it to a hotel so you can sell overpriced weeb snacks and kids can bring their cheap pizza. Maybe then youd have more in your budget for guests other than the same tired few.
>>
What happened to the thread' It die?
>>
>>8657308
>implying stealing prize money from cosplayers is lolita drama
>implying rigged contests and unpaid guests don't affect attendees

you're throwing your money at crazy people
>>
>>8657167
This. Sure they have great guests, and have had bands like Nightmare and Miyavi previously. But they've never been paid by AM and your ticket helps the owners continue to exploit artists and guests.

Do you really want to support a con that's run by people who are known to exploit and steal from others? Why not support a smaller con that is run by decent people, by going there you might help them get more guests next year!
>>
File: FLCL_canti_just_do_it3141.jpg (3 MB, 2587x2950) Image search: [Google]
FLCL_canti_just_do_it3141.jpg
3 MB, 2587x2950
>>8657191
>I love Afest but holy fuck their badges this year were stupid expensive for onsite.

I love Afest, too. Haven't been to A-kon in years (not for any particular reason, tbh), but Afest always draws us back.

Pre-register to keep your badge costs down. Have your badge mailed to you over the summer to avoid any lines or complications when you get there.

>Still probably my favorite con because it's just super laid back

Preach it, brother!

>... and I can always have a good time seeing friends.

We *always* have a great time at AnimeFest.
>>
>>8657777
Are you the Red or Pink one? Saw ya'll at Afest this year.
>>
>>8655178
Negative letter? Please elaborate
>>
>>8659198
Some 40 year old woman wrote a bitch fit on tumblr because they never paid her her prize money. She repeatedly said it wasn't about the money, but promises!!!!!

IDK, its shit they didn't pay out but if you really don't care why are you whining about it on the internet?
>>
>>8657162
No fucks given.
It's in my hometown so I literally have nothing to lose.
>>
>>8659232
Just going by your own post it's clear she never said she didn't care.
>She repeatedly said it wasn't about the money, but promises
AKA she was upset that the con made some sort of promise and then didn't follow through, that's why she was complaining. Why is this a surprise for you? Conventions have gotten bitched about on here for less.
>>
I love Onicon, but I always use that as my little weekend vacation with some weebs thrown in. I try to stay at the San Luis when I can afford it, sleep in, hang out at the pool, and then hit the dealers room or panels that I want to.

Then I get drunk, rinse, repeat.
>>
Js, you will be judged if you go to AM. Good luck getting friends and connections who aren't as fame hugry as you are.
>>
>>8659975
She did, she said she never cared about the money, bit it was the principal of the thing. She went on and on about buying her kid some toy and looking at her filled her with turmoil and a bunch of crap that's totally irrelevant to the subject to emotionally manipulate people. That might not have been her intention, but she is defiantly doing it.
>>
>>8655024
kek, only 4chan cares about the matsuri drama. guess what? tons of companies and events have shitty owners. have fun boycotting fucking everything.
not even going since i don't live in houston but do you really think they're gonna notice a loss in attendance? if anything it'll grow.
>>
>>8660564
This.

Don't bother posting your AM coords anywhere, I won't be the only one calling you out.
>>
>>8660694
So you're going to be a raging bitch in public because someone went somewhere you don't like? How much salt do you have up there?
>>
>>8656408
>A-kon

SMACK THAT ALL ON THE FLOOR
SMACK THAT GIMME SOME MORE
>>
>>8660693
Psssssssssssh. What do you think they are, A-Kon? A shit show is a shit show which people will take notice. They've burn so many bridges that they can't get anyone big to come out. Word does get around on both sides of the pond.

The bullshit they've pulled is now Google searchable like http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/the-con-anime-matsuri-is-growing-and-so-is-the-list-of-people-unhappy-with-it-7764398 so anyone that they approach will want to avoid the rotting carcass that it has become. Good riddance to bad rubbish when they inevitably close shop.
>>
>>8660875
And yet they just announced Reika for a third year in a row. They must treat her like total shit for her to keep coming back. Their guest list right now is better than half the other cons in TX and they still have 4 and a half months to go.

But yeah, they're dead. It's over right?
>>
>>8660884
6 cosplayers. 3 voice actors. A no name DJ.

High quality right there. Let us all go throw hundreds at Matsuri over shit most don't care about.
>>
>>8660884
And yet actual artists like Minori publicly stated they don't work with AM anymore
>>
>>8660907
No, people on /cgl/ don't care about VAs. If nobody cares about them they wouldn't be at cons. They wouldn't fill panels and have autograph sessions run overtime.

>>8660912
Where? Didn't /cgl/ just incessantly harrass her on twitter until she broke down? That's the way to do it! Bully people into not wanting to be involved anymore!
>>
>>8660912
>>8661053
Minori can't be bought with Prada bags.
>>
>>8661203
but AP, Meta, Putumayo can so.
>>
>defending a shitty con
>responding to the person defending a shitty con

wow
>>
>>8662180
Thank you for your incredibly insightful contribution.
>>
>>8661829
I haven't seen AP being announced for any of their shit
>>
>>8660907
but it's still better than the other texas cons.
admit it, all the other texas cons suck. it's fucking frustrating too. we're such a big state, why can't be have a handful of decent cons to choose from? now it's reduced to quality over morals.
i was actually involved in the matsuri drama too and was actively against the con until i was talking about it to some of my irl friends and they all just said "why do you care?". yeah, why do i? a lot of cons have sexual harassment claims too, and while it's definitely horrible, nothing has happened. im just saying that it's unlikely the end will be anytime soon for matsuri.
>>
>>8657777
>Pre-register to keep your badge costs down. Have your badge mailed to you over the summer to avoid any lines or complications when you get there.
I usually do, but I wasn't sure if I could make it this year until last minute. I'm glad other people love Afest though, some people shit on it for being boring but I've never had a bad time.

>Haven't been to A-kon in years
You aren't missing much, tbh. This year was better than the last but the guests are meh and I find it too hectic to just chill with friends.
>>
>>8662570
>it's unlikely the end will be anytime soon for matsuri.
especially if people keep giving them money and ignoring the people who were cheated, scammed, or outright robbed.

keep focusing on the easily-ignored harrassment, though. pay no mind to the fake charities, massive debt, and exploited inheritances.
>>
>>8662566
AP was there last year, what makes you think they won't return?

They sold out the first day, so of course they want to make a profit. It's business.
>>
Went to most of the bigger cons in Texas this year, but my favorite so far has def been RTX. No drama, a lot of fun, events, and you don't feel out of place in cosplay or out of it. It was chill. (also I got to meet a lot of my favorites, so that was a perk.)

Have plans on going to Matsuri next year because I hate myself, and I'm working on an Agent Texas cosplay for RTX next year too. Strongly considering doing an Arslan cosplay from RWBY once we get some more solid design on her, my only issue is that my stomach is scarred as fuck and I'll have to cover that up.

Lil' sister wants to go to Onicon this year tho, she just got into her weeb stage. RIP.
>>
>>8662879
Oh you mean all of the stuff that can't be proved?

At least with the harassment John admitted he did nearly everything being claimed.

Matsuri has had rumors about money surrounding it since year 1. It's still going. Nothing claimed has ever been definitively proven, and a lot of the claims would flat out lead to the industry blacklisting this con, which hasn't happened.
>>
>>8662989
except there is plenty of proof. what do you need to see to accept it, exactly? i am assuming you were around when everything was coming forward and we had AM generals to track all the developments, and that you read the articles written about it, and that none of that has been enough to persuade you.

as for blacklisting, lol. nobody cares enough. the people defrauded aren't powerful enough to make a difference, and most people are, like you, apathetic as long as they get what they want out of the con.

example: even during the height of criticism against it for its working conditions, Apple continued to sell iPhones. few people in American society care for more than their own convenience, and that entitlement is what has kept AM alive so far.
>>
>>8663025
Not the same anon, however why haven't people sued? Seems like a lot of money to be made off of AM.
>>
What is the drama with Scribbles-cosplay? A few months ago my dash was full of people bitching about him abusing (several) ex-gfs. He used to trip here so...
>>
>>8663025
The articles that just make claims but don't source their information? There is 0 legitimate proof. If they legitimately didn't pay venues, or stole thousands of dollars worth of products, or didn't pay guests there would be proof. The industry is not apathetic. Industry has cut ties with cons for much less than what AM is accused of.
>>
>>8662570
The only thing I find much more terrifying than AM is the lolita community. If you want to go, you should go, it shouldn't matter since it's your money. Just terrifying that the community is out for blood and would try to bully those who would even think about going.

I don't like AM because their poor organization.
>>
>>8663782
The Houston Press sourced their info. Some names of people who were defrauded or had bad business dealings:

> Sarah Skrobarczyk, president of Delta H Con, who had to deal with a couple hundred people the Leighs told could get into her con for free without her permission
>Mike Udompongsuk, the friend who loaned tens of thousands of dollars but was never repaid

One venue shut them out until they paid their bills:

>"A.J. Mistretta of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau confirmed that Matsuri left behind an unpaid balance with the convention center, though he declined to state how much that balance was, citing confidentiality. After 2007, Matsuri wouldn’t be welcomed back to the George R. Brown until 2013, when the GHCVB confirmed Matsuri had finally paid what was owed."

That's just part of it. The article names a lot of names, including some guests who decline to appear there again and don't mind speaking publically about it. Reread it because copy-pasting all of the sourced info is a waste of my time.

We also had someone investigating the charity the Leighs pretended to set up, and no record of it exists, which means they never followed through on promises to give attendee donations and prize money to tsunami relief effort.

The Leighs are crooks. They are getting better at figuring out where to focus their attention to maintain their positions, but they have shown no real sign of changing.
>>
>>8664769
Just one more bit about some of the litigation against them:

>R.G.G. Services, Inc. provided security for Anime Matsuri at the convention when it was hosted at the Crowne Plaza Houston Hotel near Reliant Park. By that point, Matsuri was reporting attendance numbers nearly double those of its first convention. Later that year, R.G.G. sued Matsuri for the unpaid invoice, and this time the complaint made it to trial. The judge ruled against the Leighs and they were ordered to pay.

Their pattern is to get away with as much as they can until forced to do the right thing. Because the people they tend to exploit are their own friends, foreign guests, or others without power, they get away with a lot.
>>
>>8655001
I know a whole slew of the top organizers pretty well
It's a fan run con in the truest sense. They don't need paychecks from it, they have dayjobs, so as long as it breaks even, they're fine.
Once they dip under 2k attendance it might be problematic, but the venue is very cheap since no one wants to go to Galveston in October.
>>
File: darth_fiction3115.jpg (331 KB, 1280x1726) Image search: [Google]
darth_fiction3115.jpg
331 KB, 1280x1726
>>8658662
>Are you the Red or Pink one? Saw ya'll at Afest this year.

Neither. I'm the guy holding the camera. Those Cantis were pretty crazy, though, huh? Good times!

>>8662599
>Haven't been to A-kon in years
>You aren't missing much, tbh. This year was better than the last but the guests are meh and I find it too hectic to just chill with friends.

I heard A-kon was really crowded, but I've enjoyed the hell out of AnimeFest every year. Don't see any reason not to go back.
>>
>>8664769
So your first example is hearsay and your second they paid the balance off. Try harder.

Why is everyone clutching that shitty Houston tabloid anyway?
>>
>>8665309
Every court case that is referenced in the article is verifiable through PACER. The rerporter did extensive research to verify the rumors that has surrounded the Leighs/AM for many years who are in the know.

You are one of the worst White Knights in Matsuri existence. Hope about just straight up say you'd like to be raped by John or at least suck his cock.
>>
>>8665309
read the article ffs, that's just a few examples. what do you need to see to believe? i suspect you are going to excuse the con no matter what.
>>
>>8665595
How else am I going to get free burando?
>>
Onicon is always underwhelming but it's never catastrophic like Delta always is and AM can get. Plus beachfront weebs is good shit tbh fam.
>>
>>8665601
It doesn't matter to >>8665309 if John was caught with a 13 year old girl with proof pix. That anon would still go.
>>
>>8656464
It's really not worth it. They didn't even have a Q&A this year. And good luck buying stuff if you're not at least 15th in line. I waited two hours to get in and I was 10th in line for AP. Besides when brands finally end their shitty contracts with AM, they're going to other cons.
>>
>>8661053
That wasn't Minori. That was MiDOri.
>>
>>8666688
That wasn't even Midori. Midori wasn't harrassed, she was just upset. MISAKO was the one who got tweeted at.
>>
>>8666802
caps?
>>
>>8665896
You do realize the difference between irrefutable proof and he said she said right? He's not even being accused of having sex with anyone, just harradment. If there were photos of him with underaged girls he would be in jail.

You are a moron.
>>
>>8666802
Oh, sorry. I don't think she was harrassed either I just know when Minori announced she wasn't going to be with AM anymore people were wrongly saying Midori announced it. But yeah, Minori totally did it on her own accord.
>>
>>8662882
They sold out because they only had part of the stock, supposedly they couldn't access the rest.
Also AP has been missing from all John's TPs since then and won't be at Hawaii and hasn't been announced for AM 2016 yet.
>>
>>8660862
No, I never said anything about publicly raging. I would never want to associate myself with someone who supports a con who has crooks for owners because they are clearly only going for selfish desires. Must be easy to ignore real life issues when you bury them in frilly clothing.
>>
>>8670061
>I won't be the only one calling you out

Uh, what do you think calling you out means?
I'd also love to know who goes to a con for unselfish reasons? Everyone there is there for their own enjoyment.
>>
>>8666806
Not around a computer to dig up old threads but if you look up old AM threads you'll find it the few Misako had talking about her crying for a day.

>>8667114
I don't blame Midori or Minori one bit. These poor kids.
>>
A-kon is opening up panel submissions soon and I'm glad they seem to be turning things around in the programming department. I almost threw in the towel after last year's panel debacle, but it looks like they realized it was awful and have fixed things.

I'm definitely doing A-kon again this year, and thinking about trying San Japan. A-fest and Otakon are the same weekend, and I'm leaning towards Otakon right now so I may have to take a pass on A-fest this year. I usually enjoy it, but I'm not going to skip Otakon for some local con.
>>
>>8670553
As long as that girl is in charge I'm not submitting anything. The way she handled people last year was abysmal, she has no business doing it again this year.

What have they changed that makes you think it will be different this time? They gave deadlines for knowing approval last year too and then they were 2 months late. They never even directly told me I was declined, I had been emailing them for weeks and they just stopped responding.
>>
>>8670633

I had heard there was a new head of programming, and given that they're starting this early it seems like whoever it is knows how to properly approach programming and treat panelists. The email I got announcing the submissions for this year was much more professional. They put a lot of emphasis on a panelist's qualifications being important, and I'm glad A-kon is treating this more like "who is best to run this panel" instead of simply "who was first."

Don't get me wrong, submitting early should count (and I hope it does) but I think with all the submissions they get it shouldn't automatically be whoever submitted X concept first. At a con of their size they can be picky and I hope that in doing so, the quality of programming really rises to the top.

I don't know who is running things this year but it's not that Maegan chick. I agree she was awful and I definitely was treated like crap. I'll give the con a second chance since I can tell they've changed things around already.
>>
>>8670061
Isn't this every Lolita in general?
Real life issues are people starving or dying of cancer. How about instead of wasting thousands of your dollars on clothes only worth about $50, and donate it instead since you are so selfless. Just saying.
>>
>>8670789
Can't tell if bait or not. There are grills out there Anon that can both support public charity and have nice things to wear. Bet you think you're high and mighty don'tcha?
>>
>>8670743
Oh, thanks for pointing out it wasn't Megan. For some reason I thought it was the same girl. Good they ditched her then.
>>
>>8670825
LOL and its not high and mighty to tell someone you're going to shame them and then call them selfish for attending an animu convention you personally don't like?
>>
>>8670890
Woah wrong anon buddy!
>>
File: 1439885411225.gif (3 MB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
1439885411225.gif
3 MB, 740x416
tfw el paso having no decent cons and hardly a part of texas
>>
>>8657167
This is why I'm holding off prereg. I don't even bother with guests and panels, but I just don't feel right supporting that kind of behavior.
>>
>>8665805
Oni-Con's thriving off location at this point. Everyone I know goes there purely for beach shoots now.
>>
>>8672061
I feel you, I'm a few hours north, but there is nothing out here.
>>
>>8670147
That was a different anon, I personally would not waste my time calling people out. They know what they're doing. I just wouldn't associate myself with them.
>>
>>8670789
I'm not a lolita actually, so you can imagine why I think it is wasteful and selfish to buy frilly clothing. That's probably because I don't enjoy the fashion like others. But even if I did, I still wouldn't go to a con to buy said clothing if the owners were this shady.
>>
>>8670890
Different anon, but this isn't a "con I don't like" situation. Its a matter of principle. I don't want to support thieves. Doesn't it say more about the people willing to turn a blind eye to the issues just so they can get clothing in person that they could already buy online, than it says about the people who want to spend our money supporting cons who aren't using sleazy business-practices?
>>
>>8672728
It's fine for you to personally decide not to attend a con because you don't agree with how they handle things. It's not fine to threaten to bully and shame people for not aligning with your morals. All you should do is tell people why you aren't going. If they find it as bad as you do they can choose not to go too. Your principles are worth jack if you treat anyone who doesn't share them as shit.
>>
I'm going to RenFest this upcoming weekend for Pirate weekend.

Should be a blast.
>>
A-Kon panel submissions are up.
>>
>>8672915
Going to Anime Matsuri is like voting for Donald Trump. If you like supporting morally corrupt organizers then go right ahead. Just don't be surprised by the glares you will receive for supporting them.
>>
>>8672915
Ever heard of silently judging people? You can decide who you are wanting to associate yourself with in your head without telling them "I think you're selfish and narrowminded" to their face. Sometimes you just want it to without confrontation. This would be one of those times. If we don't start taking these things seriously, people will just continue to get away with it, simply because we let them. Not to mention enabling them since some are still willing to give them more money to do more wrong with.
>>
>>8674269
Better Donald than a lying bitch. Your comparison is really shitty BTW.
>>
>>8657218
>>8657311
All RGV anime cons are shit.
>>
>>8670633

Maegan wasn't so much a girl as an old grumpy woman who was consistantly rude to panelists who walked in her staff door. It always felt like we were a burden to her being there. It was never welcoming at all.

I'm glad to hear they have someone else in charge. I wasn't going to even bother submitting my panel but I might give A-Kon another shot.

I read the little FAQ on the submission page and I'm wondering if the new person reads cgl.
>>
>>8654969
Screw all of this - we're gonna secede when Obama wins the next election anyways!
>>
>>8674949

Tumblr chan has admitted to reading cgl, so I wonder if they just have gotten some younger staff in. About damn time.

I've submitted a few panels already and while the panel form is long, it is super comprehensive! I can tell they really are trying to make sure they get quality submissions. I'm very pleased with the new process already!
>>
So is akon announcing guests or what? They posted a video of spg but didn't say anything about it. I'm tired of the steampunk shit.
>>
>>8659232
Hmm this happened to my group at a con forever ago,... I don't even remember the con, I think it died in its second year. Shit, was it Shirokaze?... I think it was Kamikazecon renamed. We got pissed but it's not worth having a lawsuit over, and this was before tumblr existed for people to bitch all over.
>>
>>8678508
> forced to compete with Dallas Comic Con as it is the same weekend
> Claims they'll book great guests to match them
> Still books steampunk that no one wants

Never change, A-Kon.
>
>>
>>8679612

It's a little early for them when it comes to releasing guest info. If the above anon is right about staff changes then I'll hold judgement for now.
>>
>>8679686

SPG confirmed. Tumblr-chan is poorly keeping things under wraps.

A-Kon says they'll change but decades of never changing leaves me heavily cynical. Until the ones on top finally listen, which they shown to never do, I won't believe it until I see it.
>>
>>8681774

They announced more guests. Don't really care about most of them so far except 50% OFF guys.
>>
>>8681774

I don't think Tumblr-chan gives any fucks. I'm on board.
>>
>>8654969
I am surprised no one is talking about the fact that Anime Matsuri just announced 6 different Lolita brands. I came expecting drama and was failed.
>>
>>8688901
i'm not going, so i don't follow their announcements.

we know that a lot of lolitas are materialistic to the core and will follow brand anywhere. it's why small but ethical cons flounder. lolitas have poor moral compasses.
>>
>>8660564
Agreed. I know so many of you gulls who pitched fits and acted all outraged and supported boycotting when it was popular to do so who are now making excuses for why you're going to go ahead and go anyway. And I'm honestly not surprised but still somewhat disappointed that you have such little integrity. At least ghost or something and stop giving money to such a poorly run con and shady organizers.
>>
>>8688932

If they ghost then they don't get access to all the burando
>>
>>8688932
Ghosting still supports them. You help fill their room blocks and spend money in the area.

I guess they didn't hoard all that "lost merch" from AP if they came back.
>>
>>8689125
I never heard they lost the merch but they only lost the key to gain access to the merch?

It's a pretty good line up of brands.
>>
>>8689125
That's why I said "at least". It's not ideal, but these bitches can't stick to what they said a few months ago, so whatever, let's keep supporting the Leighs' gross, lying asses
>>
>>8689275
I'd rather someone be straight up and attend without remorse for it than condemn the con while still leaching off of it. At least the former is being honest.
>>
>>8689326
These fake bitches might as well admit they'd rather support scum to support their Lolita habits instead of going to Japan to buy it direct.
>>
>>8656464
Comparing a small fashion con (Rufflecon) to a large anime con is apples and oranges. Maybe Rufflecon doesn't have 4537658 brands but I doubt you'll get personal kabedon requests filled, play CAH and sing karaoke with the guests at AM either.
>>
>>8689432
>personal kabedon requests

Who the fuck cares? No seriously who would give a shit about that?
>>
>>8689492

Fangirls would be my guess.
>>
>>8656798
Sam japan

>dropped panels and events without warning
>rude and inept staff
>one of the staffers is obsessed with an ex staffer and shit post constantly
>guest vary from decent VA to crappy musical acts to the same dj and kieren strange every year

There's more but I don't want to wake the damn baby.
>>
>>8689492
all the people who participated.

if you give your money to responsible people, they will use it responsibly. AM is run by known scammers; they will direct their money where it benefits them most, so big brands will return while they screw everyone else over.

but if you support a con like RuffleCon they will get bigger and better guests. the designers have such a good time they come back, despite the con being young and small, because they are treated fairly and are given ample opportunity to interact with fans over the weekend. you are not going to get to play card games into the night with Haenuli or discuss fashion with 3F over drinks at an anime con.

and you can be sure the tea parties will actually have tea.
>>
>>8689584
>the designers have such a good time they come back

Your argument is really weak when most of the brands at AM this year are returning. Guests come back because attending was beneficial to them. It's true for huge cons, it's true for small cons. While I certainly won't say AM is run well, its naive to believe small events are run for reasons other than business.
>>
S-so
anyone excited for BTSSB at ikkicon? I'm hoping to get some oldschool wardrobe fillers at their booth if im lucky, and hopefully a few postcards. There should be a tea party too! Hype.
>>
>>8691198
Same! I'm excited! It'll be cold during Austin right? I just got btssb bunny earmuffs and wanted to do an old school snowbunny coord but haven't really decided if I should wait until my dream dress pops up or find an old school dress that fits my fattychan bod. Either way I'm excited to see everyone!
>>
>>8689421
To be fair, an AM super pass is much cheaper than a plane ticket.
>>
>>8689860
Haenuli did not even bring real stock to sell at RuffleCon, and so had no direct profit. yet she is still overjoyed with the event and keeps in contact with attendees (and announced plans to bring stock next time, lol). my point is that the guests who get excited about returning because they had a good time (without, in Nunu's case, even vending) are a testament to how well a convention is run. there is something more personally gratifying about a convention managed by ethical and passionate members of the community you design for.

additionally, event organizers are not always business-minded. people sacrifice and sweat for what they love. even AM had its start becausd of a man the Leighs bled for cash, who wanted the con to happen so much that he accepted delays in repayment until it became clear he would never be repaid. the Leighs might live off the con but most people who support or run smaller cons are not seeing personal monetary profit from them. they do it for the love of whatever scene they organize the convention for.

supporting people with integrity will lead to a better convention, with more guests and brands. supporting people without integrity makes the world in general a shittier place.
>>
>>8691533
Benefit doesn't just mean direct profit. It could be a free trip, exposure, input on the event. A guest isn't going to bother returning unless they get something out of it. Why is it worth their time if it doesn't benifit them?

If a con isn't business minded it will fail. That's it, that's how it works. You aren't successful in a highly competitive niche market just because you ~LOVE~ something a lot.
>>
Loved afest the years I went, but holy shit the smell was awful. I made really good friends there.
I know mainly go to akon, not really into anime as much but the kpop/kdrama (which is what I'm heavily into) rooms are great. This years little kpop dance thing was cringy but not bad enough to wear you didn't like it.
I want to try anime north before I go down south.
When I am eventually down south I want to try out RTX. Not really into Roosterteeth as much as I used to, I just really want to see Gus irl. He's so beautiful
>>
And now this showed up.

http://www.boycottam.com/
>>
>>8692215
I bet he gave them large quantities of money to return. That wouldn't surprise me at all
>>
>>8672915

>>8663849

>bully

LOL. What do you think is actually gonna happen? We'd probably just post them on cgl and bitch about them, same as we do the other girls we post on cgl. No one's booted girlyhoot or that Shiri chick or that other girl from their comms, no one's splashing paint on their burando, no one's gonna write letters of complaints to their parents/employees or whatever.

No one's actually going to bully them, duh.

But I do expect any lolita that posts an AM coord is going to get discussed on here, if she made any posts on AM previously, this will be examined to ascertain if she's a hypocrite who is hungry after e-fame or was somehow living under a rock, and then whatever she posts after that will always be looked at askance because people will suspect she has no morals. That is what I interpreted "calling out" to mean.

Most of us are not going to go out of our way to harass people for not having the same moral alignment, no actual bullying is ever going to happen. But you can't expect us to coddle or support people who morals we don't respect. We're going to judge them, and because this is cgl, we're certainly going to bitch about them.
>>
>>8692873
What is your point?
Are you just now realizing these people don't care about THE FANS as much as they do making sure the events they attend are useful from a business/personal gain perspective
>>
>>8692992
>we'd just post them on /cgl/ and bitch about them
>no bullying is actually going to happen

Sweetheart are you confused about what talking shit behind someone's back is? /cgl/ is notorious for online stalking and stiring up trouble. Do we not remember PT?
>>
>>8693060
talking shit isn't bullying. go back to tumblr.
>>
>>8693053
OK. So Here is some food for thought:

If you do not support AM, and are boycotting that is fine. Also if you want to talk shit about people who attend, this is also fine.

However wouldn't it make sense to also, boycott these brands since they too are supporting AM?

They know what happened, they don't give a shit because they want to make money. So why support them online or at all? They have shit morals as well.
>>
>>8693328
But anon! They just dont understand! I'm sure John is blackmailing them and threatening them to go along with everything! They are just pure innocent virgin victims!

Its not like he flies them all over the world. Takes them to Hawaii, Germany, Houston...buys them gifts and shows them around. Gives them a way to make extra profits and reach more customers. Pays them to be at his events. They would NEVER sell out like that!
>>
>>8693328
this is a fair point. i wonder how brands would react to being told on social media that they are not being bought from due to their association with AM. they might not care, but it seems worth a try just to see how it turns out.
>>
>>8693573
To be honest I think the brands are sort of naive. Yes they know but I don't think they know how bad it is to be associated with AM. I'm sure every time the Leigh's go to Japan for meetings they bullshit to weasel their way in.
>>
>>8693882
I think they've heard about the rumors, but John probably managed to spin things in his favor by lying about it. Remember his answer to Choke's blog post?
>>
>>8693882
Or the more likely reason, they just don't care.
>>
>AKon
Haven't been in years. Don't regret it.
>AFest
Went this year; con was chill, but my car broke down and that killed it for me.
>Anime North Texas
Wtf is that date? Us retail weebs can't take off the weekend before Thanksgiving. Thanks, ANT.

The only con I'm looking forward to in Texas this coming year is Ushicon. 18+, no rave, plus three panels. It's in Round Rock, but I'm only in DFW so that's not too bad.
>>
>>8674949
I remember seeing a staff member come into a /cgl/ thread last year to confirm parts of the shitstorm and to clarify some things. They also said they would forward the suggestions the higher-ups.

>>8684565
Tumblr-chan is more or less a spokesperson and public mediator between A-kon staff and people. I think they handle the shitflinging pretty well for the most part.
>>
>>8694195

Last year Tumblr-chan lurked, but never posted I think. There was a staff member who came in kinda towards the end, but his info was totally wrong.

I imagine that whoever is doing programming now can't just make changes overnight. It has to be gradual, so I'm not so upset about them still having steampunk. We're getting a J-fashion track and the panels process has already improved, plus for once, there's a guest I want to see (50% off). It's a give and take I guess, but thus far I'm already pretty happy, especially with panels. It's not hard to win people over if you treat them fairly. We'll see if the promises about deadlines get upheld, but I'll stay optimistic.

But I do agree with >>8679612 about DCC being the same weekend. Both A-kon and A-fest are double booked with big cons (though A-fest is booked with Otakon, so maybe that's not a big deal for some people). I don't go to DCC but I can't see how this will help either con. Maybe A-kon will be less crowded, which isn't really a bad thing. I just wish cons wouldn't double book.
>>
>>8694240

A-Kon has been the same weekend for ages. The comic con wasn't stupid and they knew what they were doing by choosing that same weekend.

In some cases cons have no choice due to whatever their hotels have open. In this case though, it was a direct attempt to compete. I always found that to be a incredibly stupid move.
>>
>>8694258
I wish A-Kon would push back or forward by one week. They always fucking have it when graduations are taking place and I feel like a shitty relative for going out of town and not attending family's graduations.
>>
>>8694276

Push it back. Not forward. Every single year I have a fucking Mayterm class for my grad program and I'm usually only left with a anywhere from half a week to 10 days after that class ends to A-kon. It'd end up much more in "summer" and wouldn't still be during Mayterm or school.

But I figured it's like >>8694258 says and it was DCC trying to move in. Which again, it hurts both cons to do so, since any cross-over audience they have will have to choose. Which may work to either's favor, it depends on which con people choose. I personally dislike the structure of comic cons and am much more of an anime fan than I am of anything else, so DCC has never been something I've wanted to attend.
>>
>>8694499

And push it back when school hasn't ended? Full on retarded. They should just push it forward by two weeks but it won't happen.

We'll see what happens with this grudge match. I expect it to be slightly smaller but not by much.
>>
>>8692992
Of course they are not going to do anything physically unless they want court cases thrown at them. They will bully them mentally. The whole anti AM side has turned into an internet mob and will shun those who go and eventually isolate them.
I already saw a lot of Facebook statuses mentioning that they would unfriend anyone on their friends lists if they were to attend or support AM.
>>
File: 4640682-bueno+excellente.jpg (80 KB, 580x350) Image search: [Google]
4640682-bueno+excellente.jpg
80 KB, 580x350
>>8692116
>>
>>8694642

When does school end then? I'm not a native Texan so shouldn't high school be done by then? I guess summer terms for college might have started, but I'd rather have A-kon at the start of a term than towards the end of one.

Also, not sure if maybe it was a language misunderstanding, but I mean to push it back further into June, not May.
>>
>>8695584
Texas schools (at least in the Dallas area) usually end in the first week or so of June. I know when I was in high school, three of the four years ended up with me leaving my last final exam and going straight to A-Kon. Both of my younger sisters had similar experiences. A-Kon is usually the weekend of school being finished.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.