[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get a job in cyber security?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1200px-Kinkaku_Snow_E4.jpg (331 KB, 1200x796) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Kinkaku_Snow_E4.jpg
331 KB, 1200x796
How do I get a job in cyber security?
>>
Become an 3l1tE HecK3r first
>>
BA in Computer Science and a BA in Math. Learn your FIPS inside and out. Then aim for a job at one of the big guys like Cisco. Getting even a low level job at a big company as a first job looks a lot better than jumping into the deep end with a no name consulting company
>>
Break BTC encryption.
>>
>>998386
Break into a company's server and post your resume.
>>
>What people think happens
Hack into company. Company hires you to fix the vulnerability you just exploited.

>What actually happens
Hack into company. Company reports it and if you're caught, you go to prison. Company hires a legitimate company to fix the vulnerability.

Get a job at those companies.
>>
be a network engineer then study for cissp
>>
Get a military job in SIGINT. Then go private sector.
>>
Start out as the lowest network monkey and work your up with certifications. BS in CS/CE/EE is jack shit in the industry. You'll get a jacked up job title with the same responsibilities as the lowest network monkey with an AS and certification's. Best way to learn Cyber security is the military cyber warfare jobs. They're more in line with industry/government standards then universities.
>>
>>998945
Try the network jobs in the military. The army has the 35Q with such a PR job description of "defending army and DOD servers and taking care of the attackers" In other words you'll be defending US networks and attacking foreign armies networks. Airforce has their own and so does the Navy. A lot of CyberSec guys in the civilian world are Ex military from these jobs.
>>
>>998993
Can confirm. BEng in CE helps me marginally more than my coworkers. But it also nets me ~$10k more so that's nice.
>>
>>998945
This used to be a terrible idea but it's gained more momentum and the military has taken steps to make it more appealing.

If you're undisciplined and have no money to learn cybersecurity then military is definitely the way to go and they are desperate for new recruits in this field.

The real bonus here, however, is that it gives you security clearances which transfer into the private sector, this looks VERY good to any cybersecurity firm that does business with the government, as they would otherwise have to pay out of pocket for you to be allowed to work on those projects.
>>
Learn reverse engineering, learn assembly and get to understand kernels become proficient in C/C++, what else... keep up to date constantly on security, stop being gay
>>
>>999173
Best Sec guys I met were former cyberops guy from the Navy/Airforce. They got all the golden certs in the military while working along side the NSA and CIA. Those guys know top companies network weakness as well other governments. You learn a lot in the military. CE is good, and net you better income but the job is the still the same as the monkey with an AS. But its a merit based industry. Something which is a rare in America.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.