[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so this is the kind of the first stock chart ive ever looked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 5345123.png (110 KB, 1131x608) Image search: [Google]
5345123.png
110 KB, 1131x608
so this is the kind of the first stock chart ive ever looked at and im wondering: if someone bought a ton of shares in 2001 when the price was around $1 and sold them when they were at $80-90, wouldnd he instantly be a millionaire? is this a special stock or does shit like this happen regularly?
>>
Each share is multiplied by the value so it depends on how many shares. 100 shares bought for 1$ x 90 dollars a share = $9000
>>
>>992087
but what if you bought 1000 shares, thats 90k, or 5000, thats 450k. i mean you have to be lucky or crazy to invest at the low point but 5k is nothing and i cant imagine its normal that stocks just go down to $1 and then up to $90 and down again
>>
>>992072
That's a bubble for you. And unless you have insider knowledge, there's really no way to know when its going to pop
>>
>>992133
but why does it matter, it didnt fall too fast for you to react, even if you sold at 70 youd have made an insanely huge profit.
>>
>>992139
OK well keep an eye out grasshopper, I'm sure you can time the market if you try, just do me a favour and stay away from techinical analysis - its a waste of timw
>>
>>992139
hahaha
it does seem easy, doesn't it?
>>
>>992072
Monday: Keurig got bought out by a European conglomerate. The shares instantly went from $52 to $92.
Not as extreme as your example, but yes, happens all the time.
>>
>>992072
Yes. With the parameters you gave, the person in question would have had to have bought $12,500 dollars worth of stock back in 2001 in order for that to translate into one million dollars at $80 dollars a stock today.
To answer your other question, no. That stock is not special, unless it has any special significance to you personally. If you're looking to get into stocks, select one that you can afford that you believe will thrive (i.e. a company that has great leadership/a great userbase/ a great perceived future). You're taking a gamble, but sometime's it's worth it.
>>
>>992139
Why would you sell at 70? Why wouldn't you sell at 2 if you bought at 1? If you held all the way to 70, why would you sell there? If you got to 100, why would you sell there? If you held through 100 and it went back down to 70, then what would you do? You didn't sell the first time it was 70? What if you held it all the way back down? How would you know not to?
>>
>>992410
Yep, that's as good a representation of the thought process as any.
The importance of targets.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.