[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm having a hard time passing Calculus I. Does someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 243x207
I'm having a hard time passing Calculus I.

Does someone with an IQ of 100 have the ability to become a good software developer?
>>
Sure can, but you are most likely not going to become windows/google/blizzard employee without that piece of paper.
>>
>>990701
Considering you don't need any calculus for most software development, yes.
>>
Try coding, if you don't enjoy it. quit. coding is fucking awful if you don't enjoy it. Also the other aspects of CS involve more math, so don't think you can enter them without being comfortable with math.
>>
>>990701
Yes.

Coding is a skill that is very easy for motivated autodidacts to learn. It's also an activity where the main resource needed is just a computer, and it requires no other investment other than time to prove you are good at it.
>>
>>990701

OP, listen to >>990727. You are going to SUCK if you don't like it.

I've used _actual_ calculus for programming, like, twice. Both times with a senior scientist on a project, who would have done it for me in a few minutes if I couldn't hack it.

That said, take a discreet math class. I never did, regret it, and had to pick it up the hard (autodidact) way.

Source: was a professional programmer 2006-2010 before switching fields into related work in AI.
>>
>>990802
OP can also go into webdevelopment and literally never use complex math again.

It's actually kind of retarded how you need to take calc courses for prereqs for compsci... It's never going to get used.
>>
>>990811
You don't need a degree to get a web/mobile dev job. Have fun finding a job when the next tech bubble bursts though.

Calculus is meant to filter out the wannabes. If you're just in it for the money or because you want to make vidya games get out now.

If you can't even pass differential calculus then you're definitely not going to pass discrete math, physics, data structures, algorithms, compilers, etc.
>>
>>990828
If the bubble is coming, what field will have the high salaries, jobs, and wealth?
>>
>>990828
You don't need to know calculus for any of that stuff though.

There's tons of well paying C# jobs, other than knowing the winapi and obvious syntax you don't need to know much, if any math at all.

Enjoy studying all day to learn a bunch of math no one cares about when you graduate though.
>>
>>990811
Eh. I majored in Electrical Engineering and had to take Statics, Dynamics, Power Generation, etc. that I never used again. The way I see it, it is a common feature of all degree programs that you have to take some "well rounded in the major" classes. I'm sure that there is some European Literature major reading Hemmingway and saying "I'll never use this in my job".
>>
saying "ability to become a good software developer" is almost like saying "ability to become a good athlete"

There are really different subsets. If you do want to get into game programming, you're going to need to know some math. Statistics, calculus, and probably most importantly, linear algebra are going to be important for most of the development.

However, if you want to be a web dev, like most have said, you may not even need a degree.

You'll need basic accounting math for most enterprise software.

You should get a postgrad in math if you want to work on supercomptuers.

You'll need good arithmetic skills if you want to design and program embedded systems.

IQ is also a shit way to measure intelligence. I have a very high IQ, but suck ass at certain aspects of my job. If I see a spreadsheet with no visuals, my brain kinda locks up and doesn't process anything. However, I can strategize like a boss. That works out well since I am a boss.

tl;dr - IQ measures are BS, and there are areas where you don't need math.
>>
>>990701

Yes, you can. You just have to study harder than others. Keep making excuses and shitposting on the internet if you want to fail and work a shit job the rest of your life though.
>>
File: 1447462861305.jpg (29 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1447462861305.jpg
29 KB, 512x384
>>991016
>tl;dr - IQ measures are BS

i guess that's why people with extraordinary high iqs learn to read and write at the age of 3. some of them become professors teaching at ivy universities at the age of 7 or something lol.

iq tends to strongly correlate not only with higher ability to logical thinking, but with creativity, memory and even "emotional intelligence". There are simply physical differences in peoples brain with higher iq and lower iqs. Iq is pretty much like the processor speed of your computer, your brain simply works quicker, there are several studies showing high iq = brain impulses are much quicker than with an avg brain.
>>
>>991024
I'm not debating that. IQs matter for certain areas. However, I know people with low IQs that are some of the best at what they do, including in the Computer Science field. It just doesn't correlate to job performance, in my experience, because it doesn't measure all of the potential strengths of a person.
>>
>>991024
IQ is a meme.

You can study for the types of questions on IQ tests and doing exponentially better than without studying.

All that matters in life is how hard you work, your organization and your social skills.
Some people might be "15 iq points smarter" but when they study for 2 hours a day and you study 8 hours a day you cannot lose to them.

Why even be concerned without something that can't even be changed? Just do the best you can, who cares if you're 85 IQ or 125 IQ? As long as you refuse to fail you cannot fail.
>>
>>991029
> It just doesn't correlate to job performance, in my experience, because it doesn't measure all of the potential strengths of a person

yes i agree with that
>>
>>991029
>It just doesn't correlate to job performance, in my experience, because it doesn't measure all of the potential strengths of a person.

yes i agree with that
>>
>>991032
I don't disagree with you, but you've gotta be careful about arguing against your own points. Saying that you can study and then do better on an IQ test is the direct opposite of your next statement that says not to be concerned about something that can't even be changed.
>>
>>991029
>It just doesn't correlate to job performance, in my experience, because it doesn't measure all of the potential strengths of a person.

yes i agree with that
>>
File: 1448752599001.jpg (14 KB, 207x212) Image search: [Google]
1448752599001.jpg
14 KB, 207x212
>>991032
certainly it's not a complete meme as there are lots of people who are able to pass mensa test first time they are introduced to the testing

and there are these guys who passed like 100/100 the hardest test first time they see the test in their lives. apparently the same guy is the guy who learnt to read at the age of 2
>>
>>991044
IQ matters to some degree like we mentioned. I was a member of Mensa when I was a little kid, and I could talk and read before I could walk, so there is some of it. But I've met folks that are better at what they do than I could ever be because their brains are developed for those kinds of tasks far better than mine will ever be. Programming is one of those things. I'm good, maybe even great, but I'm not world class, and I don't think that I ever will be. I will be a world class CEO one day though.
>>
>>991047
Probably. It might come down to your lack of interest in the particular area. One does not simply write code with the iq, you still need to put up the hours.
>>
>>991040
>Saying that you can study and then do better on an IQ test is the direct opposite of your next statement that says not to be concerned about something that can't even be changed

IQ is the theory that you form an "IQ" in childhood and it more or less cannot be changed. I was saying that you *can* influence your test scores significantly which disproves it but also adding that any potential inherent IQ you might have is irrelevant as well.

>>991044
Maybe so, it might exist but I'm saying testing isn't perfect by any means or even indicative of your life success.

There's many mensa(and similar group) members who shitpost all day on their own forums and do the equivalent of posting pepes on /r9k/. Whereas someone "dumber" than them will work extremely hard and achieve greatness.
>>
>>991051
No doubt.
>>
>>990701
The world need ditchdiggers too
>>
>>991055
Not when they are automated
>>
>>990841

If you can't breeze through Calc 1, then you're forever doomed to code monkeyhood which is fine if that's what you want. But you need Calc to understand research papers and do algorithm analysis, so it is important if you want to come away with a job for an actual computer scientist.

Also in an interview for a simulations company I got asked Calc questions up to Calc 3...obviously that's a little different because of the nature of the work, but it was still a very well paying job for a recent graduate that youd only have access to by knowing the math
>>
You know what's hilarious?

This is a more intelligent discussion of IQ in this thread than anything on Sci, and it's in every thread on Sci.
>>
I got a job making 100k out of college and i graduated with <3.0 in cs. You'll do fine, just get internships
>>
>>990701
im in the same boat, about to retake it next semester....not sure if bad at calc or if it was just the class....
>>
>>990921

>European literature
>Hemingway

What the fuck,
>>
>>990701
How are you doing in Discrete Math? That's the true litmus test for how good of a coder you'll be.
>>
google dev here. you don't need calc.
>>
>>990701
Calculus 1 isn't that hard, if you are having a hard time, it is because you don't understand highschool or maybe even midle school maths.

Get back to middle school and high school programs and do them (it'll be faster and easyer than you think) then you'll find out that calculus is easy peasy. If you are studying in a french speaking country i could advise you great books
>>
>>990701
You can code without being good at math

if you're doing standard apps (and not simulations or physics etc), you're rarely going to need calculus at all

Just start coding. Enjoying coding is all you need to become a good software developer

btw if you're having a hard time with calculus, it might just be that you're not spending enough time trying to learn it

For me, calculus is one of those things that fucking suck ass while you don't understand, and then the moment you do understand it, it becomes super interesting

Use resources like Khan Academy to help you. He speaks to you like a baby and that's exactly what you need if you don't understand calculus.
>>
>>992597
>>992838
Too fucking hard.

I can't even pass Algebra 2 on khanacademy... What do you guys suggest for retards like me? I'm learning C++ but my math knowledge is horrific.
>>
>>992842
Listen i know this is crazy but wanna make out. I like the idea of making out with a tard ur tard strength turns me on in a primal way.
>>
>>992842
>>990701
Your math knowledge sucks cause you're suffering from burger-vitis, which means getting a public school education in America.

Ok, don't get upset. You have holes in your math knowledge, and you can't understand math A-Z if you're missing D F and H.If Algebra 2 is hard - roll a step back to Algebra I, and make sure you completely get that first. Then go forward after you patched your holes.
>>
>>992842
Can you pass algebra 1? Start from babby level if you have to

Also C++ is hard to begin with. I wouldn't recommend it unless your dreams revolve around areas where it's needed
>>
>>992853
Sure. Are you a cute girl?

>>992861
I can do Algebra 1 but algebra 2 is a little difficult(well most parts).

I also jumped it into doing without even watching the videos, just answering the practice questions right away.
>>
>>992842
How are you learning C++ by the way?

If I was starting from scratch today and had to teach myself, I would probably start with Codeacademy or similar.

I learned Java as the first language in university, and then C# which is similar.

I've never tried Python but I've heard it's easy to get into
>>
File: 1409493055713.jpg (62 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1409493055713.jpg
62 KB, 480x640
>>992873
>even watching the videos, just answering the practice questions right away.
so you're not just bad at math, you're actually retarded
>>
>>992880
Reading books and learning from sourcecode, etc.

Codecadamy is a meme.

If you learn everything from www.learncpp.org + some C++ book you are in a good spot to download a library and start reading through its documentation to understand how to use it. Such as Boost libraries, maybe start with boost/filesystem and start figuring how to do things with it.

>>992881
don't call me names you rude young man
>>
Fun fact: if you're bad at math, you will always be bad at it. You may be able to sharpen your skills a bit but you'll always be multiple steps behind the person who naturally thinks in a more formulaic, programmatically-friendly way.

As such, you are not destined to be a programmer/developer. Programming requires multiple levels of intelligence and understanding of the problem and if you're falling down on the fundamentals, you're fucked. The best you can hope for is being some code monkey pumping out js while competing with a bunch of indians doing the same for pennies on the dollar.

I know you don't want to hear this and I'll likely get a bunch of pushback from the hugbox, but give it up. You will never be a good programmer if you struggle with shit like the limit definition of a derivative and if your algebra fundamentals are so weak. Maybe take up basket weaving or sales.

t. fortran dev who watches people come in and out of interviews all day with their codeacademy certs who don't know shit
>>
>>992891
>Fortran dev

l m a o. Gramps we're not in the 80's anymore, no one uses that shit
>>
>>992897
The weather you looked up on your phone this morning? That was predicted using a GCM coded in, wait for it, fortran.

The way your car drove to work this morning without exploding or falling apart? That was designed, in part, by engineers utilizing countless tools written in fortran.

Basically any sort of mathematical model created before python was written in fortran. It's fast as fuck and is massively neglected in today's CS courses because it's too hard for babbies.

>l m a o. Gramps
lmaoing @ ur lyfe. I'm 30 years old and commanding a nice salary because these programs and models still need to be maintained and updated and schools aren't teaching any fortran classes anymore. Nobody is going to completely rewrite these things in a newer language because it would be nightmarishly pointless. As a result, I get to be special and in-demand because I spent a few months reading.
>>
>>990701
>I'm having a hard time passing Calculus I.
lmao
>>
>>992904
No you're not.

Name 10 significant projects that use Fortran in the 10 years.
>>
>>992904
>>992914
*In the last 10 years
>>
>>992914
Just off the top of my head:
MODFLOW
CFD research
CERN results
FERMI results
GCM development
any given structural engineering analysis
any given computational physics problem
hell, any given parallelized super computing cluster problems
>>
>>992920
Why would anyone ever use or learn Fortran over C++ or even C in 2015?

Other than maintaining historic shit from the 70s and 80s it makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>992904

It's taught in my department...but only for high-performance computing in numerical models, etc. I'm barely into learning programming but have completed graduate coursework in math. Should I look into learning fortran? Also, I don't think I want to go into research.
>>
>>992923
>Should I look into learning fortran?

Go for it!
>First appeared almost 60 years ago
>Last stable release: 2008
I'm sure you'll be able to get one of the many fortran dev jobs available, there is countless jobpostings every half hour for this bleeding edge, revolutionary technology.
>>
>>992922
Because fortran still crushes C and numpy in many ways when utilized for scientific data analysis/large data sets. The way fortran is structured basically makes it impossible to write slow code while others let you hang yourself. Years and years of development means crazy compiler optimization and tons of useful libraries.

>Other than maintaining historic shit from the 70s and 80s
and 90s
AAAAAAND it turns out that shit is actually pretty important, junior. Your mewling little millenial shit friends would curl up and die without fortran maintainers out there.
>>
>>992923
Why wouldn't you? If you're really interested in programming learning a new language is kinda like reading a good book. Even if it doesn't benefit you in an immediate tangible way, you're still learning something new. Plus schools offering courses in it are becoming increasingly rare... I'd take the course just on that basis alone.

Of course you could always just listen to >>992927 for advice on higher education.
You know, the nigger who can't even pass algebra 2; literally early high school shit.
>>
>>992935
>Fortran dev jobs:
<10

>C/C++ dev jobs:
Millions

whatever tho, fall for the NEET language meme if you want
>>
>>992937
Oh I get it now; your comprehension of this shit is so minimal that you think someone is bound to one language for their entire existence. Guess we're done here.

Enjoy your 5th attempt at passing what my niece learned in middle school. Those fractions are a real doozy!
>>
>>992939
enjoy being a faggot NEET who pretends to have a job lmao.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.