[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >have a great business idea for a website, but absolutely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: FB_IMG_1448289952589.jpg (39 KB, 636x432) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448289952589.jpg
39 KB, 636x432
>be me
>have a great business idea for a website, but absolutely no programming or any computer traits
>have a business plan, complete with stats and plans that can show that my idea isn't some shit-tier plan
how do I propose said plan to companies or people to fund my idea without the idea being stolen?
I want to bring it to a larger corporation and pitch the idea in a shark tank type scenario, but I'm worried about losing the idea.
>>
post it here i doubt it's anything special
>>
>>989803
Without connections? You don't.

Do you really think Thomas Edison invented all that sit, or that all those "great philosophers" (rich NEETs) thought up every single good idea in their area despite having dozens of students under them?
>>
I think any good idea is to be stolen at some point.
What is smartest to do is make it so, that those who are going to steal it would see their benefit in using you as some sort of an executor of the idea.
>>
>>989803
What did Zukerberg do when he had his idea for facebook?

Get off your ass, learn programming and build it yourself.
Or if you have money contract out the programming.
>>
>>989803
None of your buddies know how to program?
>>
>>990223
What an awful example... Zuck stole that shit straight from under the Winklevoss brothers. They even won in court against him.

>>989803
Seriously though, if your idea is solid, and most ideas are solid as dogshit with out a stack of preorders to prove it, take it to the bank and get a loan.
>>
>>990283
As much as zuckerberg stole shit, let's be real here: in court you can win anything, especially when you're talking about intellectual property laws and who worked on what when and all that jazz. Or are you saying that every paternity suit is totally and completely fair?
>>
>>990395
Before this spirals out of control, I sincerely agree with everything >>990223 said, but he used the worst possible example in the history of "i have an idea wat do?"

999/999.1 times I'd have just commented
>^ this
but Zuck is that one case.
>>
Ok, well I have been researching a possible outlet such as a wix or WordPress thought in order to create an initial process in order to justify a possible future. Then again, learning to program isn't as easy as it sounds. I have looked into that as well, I know basic htlm and that kind of stuff. As far as a website though, ehhh. I could also try those elance or hire a programmer sites but what's stopping them from picking up my idea turning around and doing it on their own. I was to pitch the idea to a larger corporation, a hq is located a few hours from me and have them invest in my idea for possible collaboration, but that could back fire as well if they like the idea and creat their own also.

Non disclosures a possibility?
>>
>>990564
It's called a proof of concept. If you create your idea structurally it doesn't need to even perform as you want as long as the bare bones are there. This makes it easier for VCs/companies to conceptualize your idea, and really makes it that much harder to steal since you can prove time of (partial) creation. You need to at least either A) create the proof on your own or B) take in someone you trust to build it for you.
>>
What are the design requirements?

Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you wanna discuss it further.
>>
>>990624
Well is there a program to rough draft it? Or is it a physical sketch that would work?
>>
>>990644

I mean the technical requirements, are users going to register, will you need a shopping cart/payment gateway, is there content behind a paywall, will there be a forum, things like that.
>>
Should've networked in college, that way you would've known someone who can program.
>>
>>990654
This. Life is so much easier when you know how to code or at least know someone else that does too. I do tons of buddy coding on multiple hobby projects. Some of them turn into something we can bring to market and some fizzle. The process is fun though.
>>
File: image.png (1010 KB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1010 KB, 2000x2210
Im in the same boat, i have this killer idea its very similar to Airbnb but satisfies a niche market. Im still young (18) what programming language should i learn to build something similar to airbnb? or should i look for a technical co founder. Im attending uni next year for accounting/ info systems
>>
>>990799
Interesting infographic. Pretty accurate.
>>
>>990650
Yeah, a general collection of information with a broad reach of social infusion.

And yeah I'm in college right now, just finished up in the army, yeah bad mistake wasting 4 years on that but in my second year of community and currently working on my networking abilities.
>>
>>989803
It's called a NDA. They are common in the industry. Basic, you have said investors/listeners sign said NDA. If they disclose any information or make the website themselves, e.g. steal it. You can take them to court for damages and have the product shut down.
>>
>>990910
Are investors even willing to take the time to do that, and after fighting for an opportunity, wouldn't springing an NDA on them make them rethink or"I don't have time for this" type mentality towards it?
>>
>>990980
That's how they will think of you if you don't have one.
>>
>>991012
Good point, are there any sites or info that I should research as far as putting together a business proposition or something to help me figure out the best way to pitch my idea?
>>
>>990799
Ive found a PHP template on Codecanyon that does what i want but will need some tweaking. Should i buy it an attempt to customise it or just start from scratch?
>>
>>990799
So much wrong with that image...

>>991030
>Codecanyon
>>
>>989803
I'm a software engineer who has helped a friend with his website business idea [spoiler]by talking him out of it[/spoiler]. You need a friend who is an engineer who believes in your idea and wants to come in as a 50/50 partner. Then the two of you will have to work hard to create and grow the business. The first step is befriend an engineer. If you're both good people, you can be successful.
>>
>>991046
pls help senpai
>>
>>989803
Get a development-savvy friend to hammer out a minimum viable product.
>>
Ok, so I'll find a dev guy to assist me in this venture. Got it, now how do I envolve this person into my world. Don't have a dev friend so I'd be looking into a different zone than I'm used to, find someone in my college. Have him sign NDA's or what other legal obligations must I follow to protect myself?
>>
you think your idea is fucking brilliant. it is going to make you mad cash for real.

great.

if you think it is so good, then dig money out of your own pocket and get someone to code it for you.
>>
File: 1449464588945.jpg (59 KB, 441x466) Image search: [Google]
1449464588945.jpg
59 KB, 441x466
>>991157
Hurrdurr...sounds like someone can't fucking read something before he puts his 2 cents in. Fuck tard. We established that as a valid fucking point.

How to go about keeping said paid programmer from turning around and fucking me is the current topic of conversation.

Also, thank you for keeping me from bumping my own topic, I forgot to add in my last post, what happens after the site has been created, the full potential I see for the site is not even close to something that will be a quick production. Also I can't market it without it being a fully developed site, hence investors. Leaving me with a built site but not a big market to push it through due to the I completeness.
>>
>>989803
>Go to bank.
>Get loan.
>Man up.
>Run your own business.
>>
>>990564
Web development isn't hard at all to learn. You just need to find motivation and make smaller projects before taking on something huge.
>>990799
HTML/CSS on codecademy, then try out PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python (Django), and node.js and decide which you prefer. There's tons of Youtube videos on "how to become a developer"
>>
>>991145
>Have him sign a NDA
No. Make him your business partner. If you both own the business, 50/50, then you both have incentive to keep it a secret and work at it. The hard part is getting to know and trust someone enough to make them a business partner. I get that you're concerned about someone taking the idea, but if you can't find good trustworthy people to work with, you're already screwed.
>>
>>991278
No one will want to help start a business if they don't know what the idea is though. An NDA is all he can do if he's too lazy to learn how to program.
>>
>>991030
>>991368
start from scratch and disregard that shitty infographic you posted.

codecademy + youtube
>>
>>991377
What language would best suit a site like airbnb?
>>
File: 1390645147174.png (58 KB, 210x300) Image search: [Google]
1390645147174.png
58 KB, 210x300
>>989803

I used to think like this. I would hoard all my ideas because I was afraid they would be stolen.

Here is the truth. An idea isn't worth jack shit, it's all about the implementation - and that can't happen without the guy who came up with the idea.

If your idea is truly worth something, someone will approach and invest in you.

So spill it, give us your idea so we can see if it's worth our time investing in it.
>>
>>991496

PHP + mysql
>>
>>991502
all of my keks
>>
>>989803
Actual start-up goy here

just fucking pitch it to people you faggot, your idea is worthless

these people hear hundreds of ideas a week, a lot of them will be better than yours. they're busy people. they wont steal it
>>
>>991233
>le node.js maymay
ayy
>>
>>991529
This.

You idea is literal shit. It's guarantees you haven't invented the wheel. Investors may even tell you it's total shot too. Most big money ideas were shot down numerous times. Look at Fred Smith, wrote a paper on the idea in his school days, gets told its total shit and will never happen. Guy is a billionaire now.

BTW, all us software engineers aren't kikebergs looking to take your idea ffs...
>>
>>991496
Whatever you want to use.
>PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python (Django), and node.js
These are the most popular back end web dev languages. PHP will easily have the most support and already answered questions on stackoverflow, but all 3 of the others are a bit quicker/easier to use once you're proficient. PHP will also leave you open to the most web dev jobs out of all languages.
Just try out all of the courses on codecademy. You can finish one every day or two.

>>991549
I don't use it but it's a relevant language. It's definitely the 4th most popular backend language and it's going nowhere but up in popularity.
>>
Yeah so basic programming is something I need to learn then, but as far as creating a plan. Do I purchase a domain name, and go from there, use a free to use site designer? How to I create the product in order to pitch the idea with something visual? What's a good tutorial or template to plan a buisness from step one to completion? How do I go from point a to point b?
>>
Keep bread alive
>>
http://kloudko.com/
>>
>>993399
I can't find any information on this at all. Other than the site given.
>>
>>992166

If you're just pitching the idea you don't need any actual implementation, a graphical mockup of what the homepage and any main areas of the site would be enough, this will also give the person who actually implements the website a good idea of what direction to actually head through implementation.

I wouldn't suggest learning an entire new skillset solely for something that's probably going to bomb due to lack of funding and appropriate advertising.
>>
>>993504
Yeah, that's seems to be the most logical path for me right now, is this a common practice though? And should I shoot for large companies or small and build my way up?
>>
>>993659

It is common practice when pitching an idea to a company.

As for who you should aim for, can't comment with 0 information on what your project is.
>>
>>993688
Well I have a few ideas in mind in who to aim for, companies who could benefit from assisting me, but some are larger than the others so I am deciding if I should put more emphasis in which path.
>>
>>993702

As far as funding goes, what would it be used for besides development and marketing? It sounds like you'd be better off finding a business partner.
>>
>>993399
Still would like more information on this.

>>993702
And its essentially a social media hub, not along the lines of Facebook but a community type website that can be combined with social media sites, to enhance the social media expierence.
>>
>>994133
This is stupid. Stop wasting your time on it.
>>
>>994202
Err nah. Fuck you. You don't even know what it is. That was the shittiest vauge description I could have used.
>>
>>994211
I was going to type a longer reply but I decided not to. You're in way over your head. If you want to do business, then stick to what you know. You don't have any experience or knowledge of this industry. What makes you think that you've got what it takes to be successful?
>>
>>994221
Ambition, drive, originality, the ability to take no for an answer and not give up, the determination to learn. Just some of my better qualities.
>>
>>994211

And even that is more than enough. I'd also advise you to stop wasting your time on it.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.