[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
per diem split or, Me getting Fucked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hi /biz/,

I don't often come here (friendly /co/mrade fa/tg/guy) but I am currently having a bit of a financial freak-out. I'm hopeful that you brilliant bastards can help. Please allow me to explain.

I am working as a temp/ contractor for an aviation company making 28 dollars/ hour which breaks down to 13 hourly and 15/hour into "per diem." I moved from my home town and now rent a place near the job. The temp agency assured me that this per diem split money was totally non-taxable so long as my "address of record" was 70+ miles from the job, but i've recently had a conversation that has my confidence shaken. My worry is that come tax time I'll have to pay JUST A BUNCH on all this per diem money that hasn't been taxed all year. I've poked around the interbutt trying to figure this shit for myself but I'm a mechanic not some kind of smart guy.

I hope i've been clear...

TLDR making per-diem split pay how will it work out at tax time
>>
>contractor
>drives 140+ miles a day

Just write off the miles dumbass
>>
>>988971
its in the post bruh. i rent a place near by
>>
>>988937
I was an agency recruiter for 5 years, and I've never had a single per diem deal blow up. We also never gave more than a 50/50 on per diem, but I don't think that will matter.
>>
>>988937
Also, are you with Spaceship Co?
>>
>>988980
So how's it work at tax time? Just a regular W-2 for the hourly wage without mention of the per diem?

>>988984
nope, they're next door
>>
>>988988
>>988988
BAE then?

You'll get your w2 and the perdiem amount shouldn't even be listed. Even though it's not really costing you that much to live, the IRS doesn't care and just sets maximum exemptions for various regions. If you were doing Corp2 Corp, you'd save your receipts and claim travel/lodging expenses, and this is the same, basically, only simplified.
>>
>>989021
Also, the agency is still paying their half of the taxes on it, and then some, so everything is on the up and up broseph. Also, Mojave is cheap by Cali standards, but you should be getting more than $28 if you're an engineer or designer. Jump ship and go work for Branson when you get the chance. The pay is... OUT OF THIS WORLD...i feel gay now.
>>
>>989021
So im probs getting myself all worked up over nothing... Idk man that phrase "IRS doesn't care" fells kinda wrong to me.

ALSO I'm working for Scaled Composites. OpPic related is the stratolaunch. I'm just a lowly fabricator
>>
>>989026
I'm just doing this so i can put FABRICATED WORLDS LARGEST AIRCRAFT on my resume. I'm trying to transition into maintenance and move to CO. I have A&P just no experience :[
>>
>>989030
Scaled pays good too. I actually had to recruit the dude who reformatted and fixed all their femap stress work for the White Knight after they made delivery to Virgin.

This shit is going to open doors for you, son, if you're just coming from a standard aerospace background. We can probably even rewrite your resume into a pocket manufacturing engineer role.

Maintenance pays good, but you'll be working 100 hour weeks. Those dudes are fucking Marines. Good bless you taking on that life.
>>
>>989037
OT is the bigbucks for hourly mooks like me. Though, im not trying to get with a big air carrier. Just wanna work on cessnas and pipers chillin in the Colorado mountains
>>
>>989042
That might be a bit more chilled out, t b h. I had a guy working for a regional carrier out of NY, and they just burnt the poor fucker out in 6 months. Of course, he must've made 1/4$mill in that time frame, but shit was crazy.
>>
>>989054
Some of the guys I work with have horror stories like that. 32 hour days, being on call 24-7, hours of travel on an off-day to do a repair only to find out the parts necessary are days out... that is not for me.

what agency do you work for m8?
>>
>>989063
I'm out of it now, but it was an Entegee subsidiary in Boston.
>>
>>989068
neat! thanks for the input senpai. I'm gonna delete the thread now... I've emailed the hr from our payrole company and I'll grill 'em tomorrow
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.