[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Day traders create zero value in this world.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: -1x-1.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
-1x-1.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2000
Day traders contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier. Janitors make more of a contribution to society.
>>
File: John_Morris.png (172 KB, 305x341) Image search: [Google]
John_Morris.png
172 KB, 305x341
>Janitors make more of a contribution to society.
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>985483
only because day traders don't make any money
>>
>>985486
>>
Lol okay.

>We buy things
>We pay for your wages
>We pay taxes
>We spend our money

How do we not contribute to society?
>>
File: 1426314128493.png (148 KB, 2500x1645) Image search: [Google]
1426314128493.png
148 KB, 2500x1645
>>985483
Liquidity.
>>
Bait. Jpg
>>
>>985491
Because you take from nothing.

Normal people gain wealth through production, you gain wealth through 0 production. Everything you give to society is something you took first.
>>
>>985493
/thread

>what is market liquidity
>what is troll bait

SAGE. HIDE.
>>
>>985493
>>985502

> some liquidity is needed
> therefore day traders are somehow not 99% leeches
>>
Does it matter? I make money through voluntary exchanges.
I don't care.
>>
>>985483

>implying the majority of shit people get paid to produce is for the betterment of society

You could replace 'day traders' with almost anything.

Dildo manufacturers contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier.

Fairy floss manufacturers contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier.

Soft drink manufacturers contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier.

Paper manufacturers contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier.

Plastic bag manufacturers contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier.

Video game manufacturers contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier.
>>
File: laughing avg korean gfs.png (429 KB, 467x597) Image search: [Google]
laughing avg korean gfs.png
429 KB, 467x597
>>985519

manufacturers produce something of value

>traders do not produce

>traders do not add value
>>
>>985483
They contribute nothing, but also don't take much because it's impossible to consistently outperform the market.
>>
>>985528
>manufacturers produce something of value

So do traders. >>985502
>>
>>985483
They provide liquidity for other investors and lower spreads. If day traders didn't exist the average joe would have to wait a lot longer to buy and sale stocks and it would cost a lot more due to a higher spread.
>>
>>985514
This man has the right idea.
>>
Then Walmart doesn't contribute with anything to society?
Walmart buys and sells goods.
Traders buy and sell assets.
>>
Here's an example of how traders add value to society. If you look at the options for say google the spreads are very tight and there's lots of liquidity, you can buy and sell large quantities of apple stock options almost instantly and the spread for it is almost nonexistent. Now look at some small cap company, say one with less than a 100m market cap that has options. You'll find that the spreads are ridiculously large and you have to have the option increase significantly in your favor until you reach a break even point, also you'll notice that you can only buy very limited amounts of stock options and it takes a lot longer to process than it does for a highly liquid stock like apple. Stock options aren't just used by traders they're also commonly used by large businesses to hedge against an unexpected rise or fall in the price of a commodity, so say if the price of wheat doubles then a company that makes bread can still get it at a previously agreed upon price and won't have to significantly raise prices which will hurt consumers. Traders don't just provide liquidity and reduce costs for stock options but for every financial market in the world, forex, futures, commodities, the stock market, etc. It's easy for people to think that day traders and swing traders contribute nothing to society because the ways that they do are less understood than other professions, after all it's easy to understand how a teacher or firefighter contributes to society but understanding how day traders provide the liquidity needed for various companies to hedge against the changes in the prices of commodities so ultimately the consumer doesn't have to pay more and how they lower costs for everyone is more abstract and less understood.
>>
>>985483
>Day traders create zero value in this world
We do, it's called liquidity and the world as you know it today would not be able to function for another day without it.
>>
File: lomo.jpg (215 KB, 720x543) Image search: [Google]
lomo.jpg
215 KB, 720x543
not only liquidty, but traders who short actually make the markets more stable, even at the worst panic periods. One short creates two long.
>>
>>985542
Well put.
Although those who need to read it most lack the ability.
>>
>>985483
Day traders give their capital to buy & hold types; where do you think the profits come from?
>>
>>985483
>OPs contribute nothing to the betterment of society or to making life easier. Janitors make more of a contribution to society.

Ok OP, so what have YOU contributed to the betterment of society or making life easier? And no, cooking burgers for people and playing videogaymes DOES NOT improve other people's lives.
>>
>traders aren't useless, they make it easier for people to trade stock!

Fuck off.
>>
>>985771
>One short creates two long.
I can see how I create one long for the person who takes the other side of my trade. Can you explain where the other comes from?
>>
File: Warren-Buffett.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Warren-Buffett.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>985530
my sides!
>>
this whole thread is retarded

>>985877
>warren buffet
>daytrader
>>
File: bike girl.jpg (172 KB, 741x960) Image search: [Google]
bike girl.jpg
172 KB, 741x960
>>985483

A man builds a rocking chair in California. A man in Atlanta wants to buy that rocking chair. Thanks to wireless money transfers, and shipping companies, the man in Atlanta is able to buy the chair without leaving his home.

Traders are no different. They bridge the monetary gaps between organizations.

They do provide value.

It's just that all the fucky corruption and bullshit, money traders and finance guys have robbed people, and still do today.
>>
>>985491
>>We pay taxes

By exploiting tax loopholes and offshore accounts
>>
>>985542
So traders are like the gut flora of a duck-billed platypus. Incidentally helping to nourish something that doesn't make sense and shouldn't be; producing nothing else but farts. Gotcha.
>>
>>986078
How much did you lose?
>>
>>986010
You can sit in a chair. It has real value. So does goods shipment, retailing, and almost anything in your example really.

Day traders are literally professional memers and stock price means jack shit in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>986144

So what about money transfers?

Lets say that man in Atlanta had to actually put cash in an envelope and mail it to the man in California. The movement of money electronically sure is handy isn't it? It's providing value isn't it?
>>
>>985491

I suppose muggers are valuable to society as well.
>>
>>986144

A stock has real value, what is your point?

A daytrader is just a merchant, he is the dude that takes shit off your hands when you want to get rid of it and no one else will take it. If you're really complaining that merchants produce nothing then you may want to just kill yourself because the profession has been a necessary part of society for millenia. Merchants add value to the economic system by assuming the risk of carrying a good, in this case a stock, for those who no longer want to bear the risk
>>
>>986189
But shares don't have any value. You can't take your shares out and trade them in for office supplies or real estate or anything. They're meme points which can disappear or be heavily devalued if the issuing company wants them to be.
>>
>>986210

It doesn't matter if they were canned turds. If there's a market for canned turds, there needs to be a merchant to facilitate the movement of buys and sells. People want canned turds and the merchant delivers, everyone is happy except you
>>
File: bow before rms.jpg (211 KB, 2172x1711) Image search: [Google]
bow before rms.jpg
211 KB, 2172x1711
Honest question: what does market liquidity do for the average human being living in the US?
>>
>>985509
Blaming day traders for the really rich people that manipulate the market. 90% of daytraders end up losing.

Price action can make everyone who bought in rich.

Liquidity helps the markets run smoothly.

Money won by trading would go local and not to super rich.
>>
>>986248
What does the President and federal government do for the average person living in the U.S.?
>>
>>985509
to be fair they're more likely to be providing liquidity when it is needed than HFT where liquidity has a habit of disappearing rapidly when it is needed most

granted this does mean that one of the biggest contributions from daytraders is essentially being the sucker
>>
>>986256
It's an honest question. I sincerely want to know.
>>
File: laughing shang tsung.png (359 KB, 467x500) Image search: [Google]
laughing shang tsung.png
359 KB, 467x500
>>985483
butthurt faggot's mad because i make good, easy money by looking at a graph while he bitches about it on an anime website because he works from bullshit wage slave "job". stay mad idiot, all of my money is being reinvested into myself and it's in part thanks to the international economy while you're gonna have to invest some dicks in your mouth and anus to make ends meet you fucking turd LOL.
>>
>>986248

That's like asking what a pawn shop does for the average person. Traders are pawn shops for stock. Nobody sits outside the pawn shop and whines about pawn shop owners making bank doing nothing because some people just gotta get rid of their shit real quick and don't want to go on craigslist for a buyer. Nobody tells the pawn shop they're a parasite on society for buying your shitty guitar when they're not actually going to play it. It's equally absurd to get mad at traders for buying stock without the intent of investing...they're just there to make the process of getting rid of your shit easier
>>
>>986309
Nobody is mad, I just want to learn more about trading and why people keep saying liquidity in the stock market is good for the economy.
>>
>>986263
>>986309
>>986314
pls respond
>>
>>985483
OP you're an idiot. Day traders add liquidity to the market, making it so grandma investors like you can sell easier. Quit being a faggot
>>
>>985528
implying no one manufactures waste and is a net detriment to society
>>
>>985483
Id say brokers are the leeches since all the shit could be automated.

Day traders create liquidity which is valuable. Say im that janitor and i worked hard and want to retire. I want to cashput my 401k and buy a house in florida and a little motel me and 'peggy can run.

Cant cash out with no buyers brohan
>>
>>986137
Zero because I'm not one of the millions of avg people who gets taken by the lie. But I'm not a sociopath so I feel bad for them. How 'bout you?

>>986309
>Nobody sits outside the pawn shop and whines about pawn shop owners making bank doing nothing
Wanna know how I know you've never been near a pawn shop?
>>986531
You don't need day traders to do that. Do we even need humans for that? How buttblasted are traders about robots taking their jobs, BTW?
>>
>>986573
Come on, man. You don't have to lie.
Like you, we all once thought we could be day traders. Did you lose it on Pets.com?
I lost a bunch on that.
>>
>>985519

>You could replace 'day traders' with almost anything.
>Dildo manufacturers
>Fairy floss manufacturers
>Soft drink manufacturers
>Paper manufacturers
>Plastic bag manufacturers
>Video game manufacturers

No you can't. Unlike day trading, everything you listed provides value and improves life in some way.
>>
>>986614
juststop.png

its easier to argue that your "value producers" produce enough waste/pollution/degeneracy to the point that when compared to a day trader that only uses energy for computers/related infrastructure they are indeed the less valuable of the two

tldr your premise a shit A SHIT
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.