[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /biz/. Today I just went to an amway seminar today and I feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Amway_(logo).svg.png (6 KB, 220x78) Image search: [Google]
Amway_(logo).svg.png
6 KB, 220x78
Ok /biz/. Today I just went to an amway seminar today and I feel like this is the biggest scam there is in this modern day and age. What are your thoughts about how people actually think that they can make a shit load of money by recruiting other people into the business? When I was at one of these seminars there were a lot of highly educated people and I do admit I was impressed by how much 'recruiters' or 'IBO's there were with degrees and such. My only question is how can you be so taken by such an obvious business model that promises little returns for your hard work selling products and recruiting other people to be part of an elaborate cult scam? I don't understand.

Also question is it worth being part of this cult for the exchange of the skills your getting into this organization?
>>
>>982596
bump
>>
>>982596
A good scam with tied in sales and/or recruiting can still be lucrative. I've seen a generally dumb friend make nice money just selling knives with little "promotions" drip fed to him. Pyramid design, legit business, sketchy hiring, no payoff if you suck at it. Then I've seen the flipside, fairly smart friend trapped into rental recruitment scam that has him sucking dick for dick dust. Both have offered me fabulous trips to islands.
>>
>>982609
My question is can you learn anything from it despite selling stuff that you don't want to?
>>
>>982615
It takes the right mindset to learn from it, like any experience. An okay way of developing professional skills, tuning how you communicate. Not projecting your values on something you may take for granted, and letting them see the value.
>>
bumping for potential discussion.
>>
>>982596
my uncle got sucked into a multilevel marketing scheme like this called Ambit Energy. Basically reselling deregulated electricity at or a little below what the electric company charges.

In this one, basically they recruit people and once you recruit x amount of people, you get a discounts on your electric bills, and eventually they promise free energy and eventually paychecks to you.

so a pyramid scheme. They want you to recruit people, who then recruit other people. if you're at or near the top of the pyramid, hey fantastic, but you were probably doing pretty well to begin with.

sadly, something like 90% of everyone who "invests" or "has started their own business" lose money. I have at least 4 FB friends who post every week about selling energy bars or make up or sampling parties that no one ever attends or products nobody buys.
>>
How high is the risk of actually getting into this business and getting skills that you need in order to actually start your own business? Like actually learning something from this experience instead of not performing up to par with what they want you to do?
>>
>>982596
Amway’s Proprietary Information and Trade Secrets. You recognize and agree that, as further set forth in Rule 6, LOS information (as defined in Rule 2.8), constitutes a commercially
advantageous, unique and proprietary trade secret owned by Amway. During the term of your IBO Contract, in accordance with and subject to compliance with Rule 6 and other related
Rules or procedures, Amway grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable and revocable license to use LOS Information and other Proprietary Information, such as confidential
business reports, manufacturing and product developments, and IBO sales, earnings and other financial reports only as necessary to facilitate your Amway business as contemplated under
the Rules and other terms of your IBO Contract. You acknowledge the substantial value of LOS Information and other Proprietary Information to Amway and agree to maintain all LOS
Information and other Proprietary Information in strictest confidence and to use it only as authorized by Amway. You further agree to not disclose any LOS Information or other Proprietary
Information to any third party, or to use LOS Information or other Proprietary Information in connection with any other businesses. Upon expiration or termination of your Independent
Business, you agree promptly to return any and all LOS Information and other Proprietary Information to Amway and immediately discontinue any further use therefore. This covenant shall
survive the expiration or termination of your IBO Contract for any reason.

What are amways trade secrets /biz/
>>
Is it a scam or is it a sales job?
>>
File: 1448479694411.jpg (764 KB, 630x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448479694411.jpg
764 KB, 630x1000
>>982596
Amway was founded as a direct selling type of business in the 1950s. The idea back then was to cut out the middle man, just go door to door and sell shit. However over the years it seems to have become more or less a pyramid scheme. That being said, the best sales person I ever met worked for Amway. He wasn't even selling anything, we were just having a normal convo and then when he walked away I felt like I should buy something from him. I have never felt like that ever again, And this happened like 8~9 years ago.
>>
Best sales person i ever met was a charity fundraiser from france.
>>
>>982596
Read the wiki about them. They are like a religious cult. Their goal is sell you motivational tapes over and over and over.

I'm surprised they have managed to keep going for this long. I guess as long as they can keep getting new suckers signed up, they stay in business.

The basic products are actually better than you can buy in a store. But its the tapes and books that they make the big money with.

Any time you ask them a question, they answer with "you need a tape".

I was in it many years ago and really couldn't stand the Rah Rah feel-good bs of their rallies.
>>
Fools are everywhere, being foolish happens err day.

Pyramids are all the same. That pitch is real convincing though.

I went to a neon energy club seminar last week lol.
>>
>>982615
>>982620
Picking good mentors is wildly important to your success.

Ask these losers to show you bank statements.

Amway is never a good experience, you're learning from losers who just learned how to talk, and idiots who fell from this bullshit. door to door sales does not scale.

Take your tuition money and use it to get the rights to sell water bottles at a convention or something similar.

http://www.sellingpower.com/2013/50-best-companies-to-sell-for/

http://www.sellingpower.com/2015/sales-training-companies/top-twenty-listing/
>>
Both my folks pretty much started their careers working at Amway 20 years ago. Dad was a doctor struggling to find patients and working at the ER til 3am, Mom was working several jobs, main one at Bell. They stuck with the business and made a shit ton of money, but we also saved every penny we had (drived old shitboxes, 3 antenna stations on the TV, etc). We bought the house when I was born and were able to pay it off by the time I was 7 or so. Best part about it for us was having mini "vacations" whenever they went to a conference. They left the company once Amway pretty much stopped listening to its employees and doing its own thing, but they frequently talk about some of the exceptional entrepreneurs & friends they met working there. Basically, if you're a starving businessman in need of advice it was a good place to start. No idea how it is now though
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.