[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 80 Hour Work Week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 9
File: wage slaves.gif (20 KB, 341x263) Image search: [Google]
wage slaves.gif
20 KB, 341x263
>hurr durr wall street interns work 80-100 hours a week

Is this actually a thing though?

As for 80 hours a week, assuming you work 6 days a week, you work about 13-14 hours a day, leaving only 10 hours to sleep, eat, shit, shower, get ready for the next day and travel to work. How can these people keep this up for the entire 6 month internship? I'm serious here, how do they do it?

>inb4 you are just le lazy faggot who will never achieve anything :^)
>>
the typical asian salaryman seem to do it for 30-40 years. they'd laugh at people who bitch about having to do it for 6 months.
>>
>>982000
That's funny, because I'm laughing at the asian salaryman.
>>
>>982025
That's funny, because noone gives a fuck.
>>
ITT: Wagekeks argue about who's getting keked more
>>
>>982029
Then why did he bring it up? It wasn't relevant to the thread at all. And why did you even bother replying if you truly didn't give a fuck?

The truth is because you do, just because you didn't like my smug comment, doesn't mean you don't give a fuck.

You give a fuck, you just like saying you don't.
>>
>>981996
There are amazon employees that talk about their work hours being high up.

It's definitely not for everyone. To do it you pretty much have to say fuck all to any and every responsibility you could have that isn't work.
>>
I work at a nuclear plant and the salaried management work 100 hours a week.

When my wife was in med school she put in several 100 hour weeks.

That's why those people are rich and you're poor. They focus on gaining wealth and you use 4chan. I'm the same way.
>>
>>982066
>all these assumption

Why is it that when you're wondering about working 80 hours a week, you're immediately a poor loser who will never achieve anything?

I'm in university right now, studying about 50-60 hours a week and browsing 4kek in the betweens, I've worked several shitty menial labor jobs in the past for only 40 hours a week every time. And every day I go to sleep at 10:30PM fucking EXHAUSTED. I can't imagine how people work 80 hours a week. Do they actually work 14 hours a day or just sit on their ass waiting and waiting while working maybe 6 from the 14 hours?
>>
File: Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif (916 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
916 KB, 245x285
>>982066
>working 100 hours a week
>salaried
>rich

keks gonna kek.
>>
>>982074
that's how it works in Japan. They "work" extremely long, but after a certain period of productivity they do jackshit and just sit around because they can't leave before their boss. I don't think people who work 80 hours per week actually work literally all the time
>>
Work Smart, not hard.
>>
>>982119
I easily put in 80 hours a week. I run my own contracting company, I essentially get everything I need done for the day in the first 3 hours and then I just have to be there to answer questions and shit. Mostly shit post to 4chan all day.
>>
I own a construction / contractor company. I easily work over 80 hours during warm 7 months. I literally have no life, sometimes have to sleep in my truck etc but I make huge amounts of money. Current 5 months, I just fuck around / spend time traveling the world etc.
>>
>>982074

My good friend of 10 years that worked at Moelis (look it up, elite boutique IB) over the summer worked on average between 90-110 hours a week for 10 weeks, and he still didnt get the offer.

My other very close friend interned at Credit Suisse Financial Institutions Group (FIG) within IBD and also did around 80-100 hours every week. He didnt get the offer either for not working hard enough.

The fact that you even assume the working week is only 5 days in those environments proves how little you understand of the industry.

It is absolutely expected to come in on weekends, both Saturday and Sunday, and work a full or near full day.
>>
>>982066
Working 100 hours a week is no life at all. What's the point in earning all that money if you have no free time to enjoy it? No way I'm missing out on the prime of my life so I can be a rich old man, fuck that
>>
>>982036
>autism
>>
If you make $250k but work 80 hours a day, your hourly rate is the same as someone who makes $125k and works 40 hours a day. The likelihood that you can keep up 80 hours a day until retirement is very low. And then you get discarded

If you live in an area with a high cost of living (New York, London, SF) then you might even have more money to play with if you move somewhere cheaper and get a lower paying job, one that might not even require you to work yourself to death.

And remember that you are selling your labour for wages, people who willingly give their employers free shit are fucking the job market over.
>>
>>982066
>I work at a nuclear plant and the salaried management work 100 hours a week.

bullshit...

half the time when people claim they work 60-80 hours a week they neglect the hour or so they take at lunch, another break they take for an evening meal etc..rounding up what time they leave to the nearest hour etc.. you can probably knock off 10 hours from whatever figure they're claiming.
>>
>>982230
80 hours a day would be very impressive!

hmmm
>>
>>982242
>he doesn't have a time machine
>>
>>982124
This. Efficient 80 hour weeks will always be better than 100 hour energy drink marathons. Of course, working 80 hours a week will require 10-15 hours dedicated to resting/exercise/eating well during the day, so you will have no time either way.
>>
>>982230
This was litterally my father. He was a bank executive making 260k yearly. He woke up early went to work came home late and did more work on the kitchen table. For years he slept 4-6 hours a night.

Then the financial crisis hit and being the head of the problem loan department he got axed when people start just walking away from homes.

Got 500k retirement bonus plus pention but still needs to work because of my mothers medical bills and him being to young for social security.

Its funny because my dad is a hippy no one should work and everything should be free liberal but still is a crazy hard worker.

Funniest thing is he now works making 70k at a bank as some random shmuck. He is much happier without needing to take work home but he goes ocd with how badly his department is run.

My mother was a tax accountant before she became a cfo. I remember her working 80+ hours in tax season easily. When things got towards crunch time it could mean I wouldn't be able to talk to her for days at a time.

My mithe
>>
>>982270
>making this much money
>getting that kind of severance
>not having a few million in FU money and a modest lifestyle to drop your job and retire on your own means.

Avoid lifestyle inflation. Get yours and get out.
>>
>>981996

When I did it I was constantly wired on energy drinks. Often my company paid for a taxi to drive me home, wait outside for me to shower and drive me back to work to start another "shift" or whatever you want to call it. As my old boss used to say (paraphrasing Gordon Gekko of course), if you don't want to do that, you can get a shitty job at McDonald's. It's either long weeks with limited breaks for a few months or be a quq for all eternity.
>>
>>982278
Both my parents are under 65. They will live another 20 years easily. Mothers med bill are more than my dads current salary so he is working so they dont have to dip into retirement for medical.
>>
Interns have it easy. Once you become an analyst is when you begin to question everything. I worked in NYC for almost a year before quitting. 80 hour weeks is an understatement. I remember being stuck at work 3-4 days a time taking 1-2 hour naps here and there. People would go to the gym at the bottom of the building to shower. It was a living hell, building useless models and presentations that you never get credit for, but take all the blame for if it goes to shit. Not to mention the pay. People are attracted to the "$150K" salary, but you are working virtually 24/7. A nurse makes more than you on a hourly basis. I took my dignity and left. Ended up getting a job in Chicago months later and it was pretty awesome working on the futures exchange. Then the CME shut down most trading floors and a lot of people at our firm got laid off. Now I'm back home (Northern VA) living off savings trying to decide what I want to do next. You don't need an Ivy League name on your resume like people thing. Finance is a buddy system. It's all about who you know. I went to UVA and dual-majored in Finance and Computer Science. I thought I was master race but couldn't find a job until almost 2 years after I graduated because I didn't know anybody. Submitting resumes doesn't get anybody any good position these days unless you settle for <$60K jobs or go into engineering where experience matters. I started networking with a guy from a LinkedIn group and his connections got me in the door.
>>
>>982146
Market's closed on sunday and saturday, what the hell do they do on weekends?
>>
>>982380
This is exactly what I was looking for when I made this thread. How did you eat? Fastfood everyday or something?
>>
>>982366
Godbless American Freedom! USA USA USA,

> Best regards, Europe
>>
>>982749
people aging past 60 or 70 and not being in good physical fitness and health is not a burden that any society can bear, especially you fuckwits and your tolerance
>and immigrants
>>
>>982066
thats why those people have no life. When they are 80 and on their deathbed, they are going to regret not having enjoyed their life and having spent all their life working.

>that's why those people are rich and you're poor

what's the point of all that money if they never even get to enjoy it?
>>
>>982749
Fuck off eurofag
>>
>>982749
Enjoy getting 50% of your salary taxed to fund Muslim immigrants who hate your culture
>>
>>982757
Don't worry, their boss' children get a lifetime of luxury and freedom so thorough that they will never even appreciate it.
>>
>>982066
How much is happiness worth? How much is your time worth?
>>
>>982757

Either they will regret it, be to high on meds to care or rationalize their life.

I think working over 60 hours for a salary is slavery. No one can be efficient 100 hours in a week consistently, especially if it isnt their own business.

People in these threads like to project how big their cojones are but they forget the body has to eat, sleep
>>
File: 1440802541503.png (269 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
1440802541503.png
269 KB, 479x358
>>982797

Its quite interesting to see how the american idea of 'freedom' and productivity has morphed into the reverence for slaving away for an employer for the majority of ones active life.

>be me
>23
>work in finance industry in entry position at 60k in relatively low cost of living area
>work 50-65 hours per week every week
>grind grind grind to get license/professional certification
>get license, turn 26
>start contract pay (not salary) based on revenue
>tell boss i'm switching to part time, 30 hours per week but still making 45k
>spend 1/2 time in office, eliminate 75% of bullshit office chit chat, 'add on' duties
>now have time to actually improve my life and persue other interests/business ventures

The money was never worth the time to me, i hate the 5 day work week. Its constricting and after 12pm i find im doing fuck all in the office but making sure im staying till 5 to look like a hard worker.

The thing is most people are slow as fuck at their job and need hand holding. Most jobs just need a warm body and someone to answer the phone. If you are productive, your boss will load you up with bullshit to do to squeeze as much out of you for their salary as possible.

>mfw first day
>boss says we work 8-5 here everyday
>>
File: 1385873361664.gif (11 KB, 554x668) Image search: [Google]
1385873361664.gif
11 KB, 554x668
>>982811

Id also like to add how staggering it is to see the majority of married individuals simply use their job or office as a means of escaping their alcoholic or insane significant other at home. Of course, might as well brag about how long youve gone without seeing your kids, amirite?
>>
>>982811
>Its quite interesting to see how the american idea of 'freedom' and productivity has morphed into the reverence for slaving away for an employer for the majority of ones active life.
Mm. In the early days like 75% were independent, and working for someone else was basically seen as only for young people who hadn't yet established their own gig.
>>
>>982811
>your boss will load you up with bullshit to do to squeeze as much out of you for their salary as possible.

I'm a freelancer that works with a lot of salaryfags, and holy shit are some of the young guys getting fucked over. A young dude at one of my regular clients is doing the job of their laid off network admin/video engineer while still in an entry level job.

>>982813
fucking this--we've let the ultrawealthy convince us that "working hard and being ambitious" means giving up everything that makes life worth living. Even dudes making 300k a year are just the most prized pets of people who were born into more wealth than anyone but the rare entrepreneurial genius could ever hope to earn.
>>
>>982818

It also blows my mind how everyone over the age of 45 believes 'work hard and youll get rich like me' meme when they rode the stock market and housing market gravy trains over the past 60 years

it will be very interesting to see when these old farts really start to die off. There will be a big divide in who inherits that power
>>
>>982745

Pretty much office food (coffee, bagels, muffins, etc.), takeout, pizza, subs, etc. I've seen guys put on 20lb and I've seen guys lose 20lb cause of the stress.
>>
>>982066
I'm an exelon operator, this 100 hour week is true.

However, the things not mentioned are how many other operators there are, and how much vacation we get.

4 weeks on, 1 week off, is the usual situation plus 2 mandatory vacation weeks.
That comes out to only working 10 months a year.

And the thing about nuclear plants is that no one has a phone for security reasons. If you are not on call, you will not hear about problems. Everyone talks about working on vacation but honestly, the minute I am off the clock I would never know about capacity performance.

You can call it wage kekery, but I don't know anyone self employed who makes what I make and they all put in the same hours. They also don't get 6 weeks off a year where no one is allowed to talk to them about work.

Eventually you start consulting in Europe or you move to compliance, that is when you make management salaries for 30 hour weeks.
>>
>>982818
>some of the young guys getting fucked over

Can confirm, got hired at a small company doing technical support, 2 days in "oh we actually hired you because you have web dev experience", ok cool whatever but now I'm doing web dev for clients and technical support, the work was pretty simple most of the time but would get very busy at times. Fast forward 6 months my supervisor quits (2 of us in the IT department) so I'm dumped with supervising some 18 year old kid who doesn't know shit about website design, handling most technical support and providing sys admin for the office (if you've worked with 50 year old women you will know this takes up a lot of time). About 2 months later I ask for a 2 dollar raise and the director says no, so I told him to get fucked and quit. 2 months later he was fired and the board of directors moved the company to another city and dumped all the staff.
>>
>>981996
That's the hours nurses and doctors work.
>>
>>982845
>>982856
At least nuke technicians and medical staff are in critical roles.

Finance kuks are just a bunch of silverback gorillas trying to top each other.
>>
>>982856
Lol, nurses are just hanging around and talking shit like 70% of the time
>>
>>982874
Like many jobs, they have to be staffed up for when shit goes down... there are quiet nights where it's mostly just checking in on patients, and then there are nights when it's a total zoo, or someone rolls in who needs multiple people to handle. Depends on the department too. My mom was an ER nurse in a city hospital... I don't think she had much time for talking shit. She has a repetitive motion injury in one hand from starting so many IVs. She didn't have a lot of nice things to say about RNs who bitched about having to pick up a shift on the weekend.
>>
>>982877
That is exactly right. Any tightly regulated job where people can die if something goes wrong is going to be overstaffed. In this nurse case, it is also the reason why so many hospitals aren't profitable and take huge grants from the government or are constantly sold and bought by those major healthcare conglomerates.

I mentioned earlier about how many operators are on at any point, it is between 4-7 and our shifts start 2 hours apart from each other. That means there is a fresh set of eyes on security monitors every 4-6 hours.
These are the same monitors 2 other people are watching.

What is insane is that if we deviate by 4% from norm levels, the plant shuts down. My job is essentially to know how to turn it back on.

Things get dangerous at 18-25% from norm levels. Japan was 80%.
>>
>>982146
kek... they still don't know it's better to work smart not hard... nobody can really work on something for more than a few hours... if one does it's most likely a task which a mediocre programmer would automate within a few hours
>>
>>982281

nice false dichotomy
>>
Long hours is a cultural thing. Boomers are proud to spend 200 hours on a worksheet that could have been done in vba in 30 minutes. They are a cancer on the world.
>>
>>982153
Lol
A lot of MDs are in their 30s and 40s and make 7 figures including bonus. You don't have to be an old man.

2 years analyst + 2-3 years associate is the grind part, and you can skip the analyst part, if you want, by working elsewhere and going to bschool. Associates are already making 300k/yr and giving the shit work to the analysts.

after associate you're ~30 and VP level, and within 5 years you are MD making 7 figures on partner track, or gone and probably retiring early. if you're really good then you start your own pe/vc firm and go for the 1% of 1%. not even 40 yet.

if you consider 40 year old multimillionaires "old men" then ok, i guess you're right, but i think expectations above that are absurd so whatever brah.
>>
>>982741
Investment banking has little to do with markets

Pricing potential deals or building out powerpoint decks for their bosses' monday morning pitches, proofreading memos and merger agreements, etc
>>
>>982845

i would argue a 4 weeks on 1 week off is not really the same as 100 hours a week. It would be saying the same for an ocean oil well worker
>>
>>982848

You did the right thing. The economy now almost requires people to switch jobs every 3 years because employers are too short sighted to give raises
>>
>>982848
>Get hired as Technical Consultant
>I have a background in Graphic Design also
>Get asked to do rebranding of logo, business cards, marketing materials etc
>Say sure but I'm gonna invoice you
>Invoice them and send a licensing/copyright release form
>They paid me but are yet to sign the release form after months

I don't get it, I wrote the release to cover their asses. They would be pretty deep in the shit if I ever decided to take legal action. But yeah man any sort of content creation I do comes at a premium, but it's definitely easy to be caught off guard and go with it. 'You're working anyway so you may as well, even though your time is more valuable when you do X'
>>
>>982814
>mm

quit typing like that you faggot
>>
>>982066

> I ruined my life for money
> And my wife did too!

Good thing you have all that stuff now, and big house, and fancy cars. Now you can impress everyone.
>>
>>982776

i do not particularly enjoy that part

though i do enjoy the part where even the fucking terrorists are not shooting up schools
>>
>>982033
^this. Its like a badge of honor or something, when I read these threads all I can think of is one guy is saying "I'm meeting Tyrone" and the other guy is like "My guy Jamal is way bigger than Tyrone." Unbelievable.
>>
File: topkek.jpg (9 KB, 250x166) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
9 KB, 250x166
>>982366
>med bills
>Burgerland
Have a pic related
>>
File: 678696.png (5 KB, 142x142) Image search: [Google]
678696.png
5 KB, 142x142
Working over 40 hours a week would be illegal in europe.

In sweden they are implementing 6 hours work day as a norm, in norway "friday is a freeday" as they have too much money anyways.
>>
>>982848
You did the right thing bro. It takes pretty decently sized balls to get out before you find the next gig though.
>>
>>983111
Sad but true.
>>
>>981996
Most lawyers I know who make 6+ figures fo those kinds of hours nonstop for years.

You swank up your office and basically live their. Those hours are billable bygod
>>
File: reaction pic.png (324 KB, 372x788) Image search: [Google]
reaction pic.png
324 KB, 372x788
>>982171
>he called me out, better call him an autist, that'll show him
>>
>>983111

based fucking Norway.
>>
>>983111

Amerifats just sit on facebook for 6 of their 10 hour day anyways.
>>
>>983604
Oh yeah, xenophobic monocultures with no incentive to try and push yourself sure are where a driven person wants to work...
>>983772
That's the average american, and they get good paychecks doing it, for the most part. if you don't, you're automatically a badass. How low of a bar is that? That's awesome.
>>
>>983778
Xenophobia is good, telling people they cant work long hours isn't.
>>
>>982230
>80 hours a day
>>
topkek at those slave who are happy to work 80h per week. I am french and the legal hours per week is 35. Of course you can do more but you will be paid more than your regurlar hours.
And working 12hours a day doesn't mmean you are 12h productive, in fact it's better to work less but highly productiv per hours. That why french worker have one of the most producitv rant tin the world. No need to be all day at office because muh samourai honour i can't leave before my boss what's gonna think about me. The more important is to do the job well and correctly, unless you are doing a robot job.
>>
File: 1442838965131.jpg (64 KB, 653x486) Image search: [Google]
1442838965131.jpg
64 KB, 653x486
>>981996
>I'm serious here
but you're not, are you? you're just trying to talk shit and act tough on a taiwanese trading forum instead of empathizing with the type of people you claim to want to understand
>>
>>982749
I bet 10 bucks on you believing that yuropoor healthcare and education is "free".

>best regards, a non-retarded yuropoor
>>
>>985413
No, I want to know how it's possible to be productive at work for 80 hours a week
>>
>>985496
for some jobs it is a requirement. gold collar jobs, like engineering and doctors, require long hours, but they're usually compensated as such. i mean, if you weren't "productive", why not just go home?
>>
My actual job is only 8 hours a day, but my commute is 6 hours total. I live with my mom and am saving a huge amount of money on rent, and don't want to get tied down because I'm not sure I'll stay in the job anyway.

It isn't so bad, I can sleep on the train.
>>
>>985772

Also I basically leave early every day, and my job is easy as fuck. The commute really sucks, don't get me wrong, but it's not like I'm working 12 hours a day. Maybe 3 hours of work, then I dick around for 4 hours and leave at 3PM. Get home by 6.
>>
>>982811
>65 hours
>grind grind grind

Yeah, this is why you aren't rich.
>>
>>985772

6 hours total, daily? Wtf? How do you...
>>
>>985811

How do I what?

I like to think about it as a second part time job that I don't have to do any work at, with all the money I save from no rent/utilities it's like a $15 dollar/hr job when you take taxes into account, and ignore 1 hour since that's what most people do anyway.

It's really not ideal and I won't do this forever, but it's not like I'd be doing anything but watching porn at home anyway.
>>
I work 96 hours a week, with some random safety meetings and staying over a couple times I usually work 100 hours. No sitting, no lunch breaks. Took about 2 years for my wife to leave, which seems to be pretty common, most of the guys I work with dont have wives or see their kids much. Your hope is that someone above you quits/gets fired/dies and you get their job with salary pay but get to work 40 hours a week, but really only work maybe 20 hours of actual work.

I used to look at my bank account balance every week when I got paid and think of the stuff I could buy, now I dont think I've even looked at my account balance in about 6 months.
>>
>>982129
>>982139
something doesn't add up here
>>
>>985876

What's your job?
>>
>>985876
What could possibly be worth this? I wouldn't work 96 hours a week for any amount unless it was a short term situation like a 6mo contract
>>
>>984357
>xenophobia is good
never leave
>>
>>985876
interesting. for curiosity's sake, what is your monthly?
>>
>>982066
Don't you want to enjoy your life a little bit? Money isn't going to allow you to live another 100 years.

>Haha, what a poorfag
Nah, I work about 50 hours a week making a decent salary and I even hate working this much. I have other interests besides just working for some Jewporation.

>W-Well at least I'll die with more money than you.
Congrats I guess. Now you can look forward to your kids and grandkids waiting for you to finally die when you're old so they can get the inheritance.
>>
>>985939
>>985948
>>985979

I make $38/hour. As per the norm, I make time and a half after 40 hours. Then I make a $400/mo bonus for not missing a day.

I make about $20,000/mo before taxes. I was given the option for salary or hourly in my contract and most people chose salary but they make less than I do because of that and work the same hours.

I make high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, gluten, and chemically modified corn starch, and alcohol.

The reason "why" is because I have nothing beyond a high school education and cant find a job making more than $18/hour in my area with a college degree. Riding it out until I cant, get fired, get a better job within the company, or die.
>>
>>986073
>$20,000/mo
goddamn negro.

>I have nothing beyond a high school education
i see. how much money do you have saved now? after a few years, that'll be a good seed amount for some sort of business venture.
>>
>>986083
Close to 800k.
>>
>>986090
you should really look at how to create more wealth in whatever spare time you have. no human should live to work.

maybe some low risk high dividend stocks. with a 1 or 2 million investment, you might be able to live off of passive income.
>>
Is it even possible to pull that many hours a week for any non trivial work? I imagine even keeping a smile on your face as a waiter would be hard with that amount of time.
>>
>>986073
how the fuck
>>
>>985772
does it really save you $100 a day? because that's what gas and car maintenance is costing you probably
>>
>>986449

Read his post again, he probably commutes by public transportation.
>>
>>986073
>$20.000/mo
nigger what?
>>
>>986952
How are you able to function on less than 4 hours of sleep?
>>
>>982906
yeah except 99% of analysts will never become multi-millionaires or MDs, you fucking idiot. so you're working 80-100 hours a week in your 20s for what?
>>
>>986801
Before taxes
>>
demand hourly pay

salaried positions are jokes. the false perception of 'respect' and 'maturity.' salary means they will call you at 9pm when you're trying to remove yourself from work. their trick is to so fully entrench you in your work that it becomes your reason for living. don't let them own your life.
>>
>>987083
salary is the ultimate kek but you're going to be laughed at if you demand hourly compensation for anything other a blue collar slave job.
>>
>>987083
Why would anyone go for a salaried position?
>>
>>986357

He is probably an operator. Someone who runs chemical/industrial/refineries. It is a great gig amusing you know your shit and work with like minded people. Your job becomes easier if you do. New guys with 1-2 years experience pull $100k+ easily. It's funny when they think the engineers make more than them. They are surprised when they find out they are making more than guys who went to college (rightfully so since they have to do things when shit goes down and I am in my office far away from things).
>>
>>981996
>assuming you work 6 days a week
Well there's your first mistake, there's no fucking way that a Wall Street intern wouldn't work seven days per week
>>
>>987085
>>987083

>tfw paid by the mile
>>
>>987867
That is correct. There are plus sides in such specialized work, and there are cons. If you show up and prove you can adapt, you can make great money and these types of places will want to keep you. On the negative side, your work experience doesnt transfer well and most people who get fired/quit have to start over in different industries.
>>
>>981996
This thread makes me feel normal.
My unemployed gf thinks normal people work 40 hours a week.
I told her that no one I know who makes more than 70k a year works less than 40 hours a week.
Everyone at my work does 50 hours and I typically do 60 hours.
>>
>>982906
>A lot of MDs are in their 30s and 40s and make 7 figures including bonus. You don't have to be an old man.
I see you pulled those figures out of your asshole. MDs on median make 150k. Less than 10% of MDs are specialist such as, Neurology, Dermatology, and ontology. The days where medicine paid big bucks are over.
>>
>>989384
>software engineer
>$84k
>never work more than 40 hours a week
Job is easy too. Spend half the day in meetings.
>>
>>982000
lol look at the suicide rates in those countries.
>>
>>989477
US has the highest suicide rate in the world and its the saddest country as well. Nippons work less than Americans. Japanese work 50 hours a week, while the average American works 65.
>>
>>989468
this.
>be an engineer
>make $80k+ yearly
>only have to work 37.5-40 hours a week
>have plenty of money to live comfortably and save/invest wisely
>still heaps of spare time to enjoy life.

how the hell do you guys put up with 80-100 hour work weeks. What do you do to enjoy life? People live to work instead of work to live.
>>
>>989468
>>989513
How's Silicon Valley cost of living?
>>
>>989421
>Managing Director of Bank
>Not a Medical Doctorate

kek
>>
>>982153
>What's the point in earning all that money if you have no free time to enjoy it?
That's the point, IMO. Work your ass off so that you can't find time to spend it. Then hope you come out alive and well after 5 years and semi-retire
>>
>>982811
>The thing is most people are slow as fuck at their job and need hand holding
This is what I think of when I hear people claim 100hr work weeks. I am sure a % of those people are genuinely the best worker imaginable and it would take 3 full-time 40hr per week workers to replace them, but on the other end of the scale I work with people who NEED to work 8am-6pm+ every day to get the same amount done that I do in 2hrs. I don't get praised endlessly by the shit-tier people who take up the majority of the time on trivial stuff as I'm a strong advocate of the pareto principal. Instead I focus on the few, do it well, and get praised by the people who matter.
>>
>>981996
My understanding is that you switch between long periods of mindless analysis related work and pretending to look like you're working so the boss doesn't think you're dead weight.
>>
>>985803
neither are you.
>>
I work smart, not hard. Only kekolds work 40+ hours.

*tips fedora*
>>
"Data Scientist"

Work about 1 or 2 days out of 5 days. When I'm not working I'm either browsing the Chan, watching TV shows on my laptop, or playing my PS Vita.
>>
>>982066

>Salary
>Doctor
>Rich
>Working
>100 hours
>RICH

You have got to be joking.
>>
>>983111
>UK law is that you cannot work 45 hours or more a week
Pretty nice desu
>>
>>983111
>>990154
Actually it's 48 hours, there's a voluntary opt-out option, and you guys realize in reality this would be unpaid undocumented overtime? You think those Japanese salarymen have 60 hours working time written in their contracts? The laws mean nothing if it's not done officially.
>>
>>982903
My old boss pulled this on me when he took over for the bad ass boss before him. I told him okay, started applying for jobs and now I make more than he does :) Telling him was the best part too
>>982281
Nice scare tactics too.
>>
>>982380
If you're home is nova, why didn't you work in one of the millions of Datacenters all over the place?
>>
>>982799
bullshit

ever waited for a video game and then bought it? you play it for days straight, right? people play WoW for 12 hours a day every day.

what's the difference
>>
>>986073
you make more than investment bankers

topkek
>>
>work 80 hours a week
>2 full time minimum wage jobs
>still can barely afford the bills at my rundown apartment complex
>>
>>990490
Why not get a real job??
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.