[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm asking this question on /biz/ because I want the opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: shot0006.jpg (25 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
shot0006.jpg
25 KB, 720x304
I'm asking this question on /biz/ because I want the opinion of people who have actual jobs.

If you're using Microsoft Office products, like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc, is there any reason not to just switch to LibreOffice tools?

Is there actual missing functionality or is it just too different from what you're used to?
>>
>>976719
No not really, just some proprietary shit but you can save to PDF to submit reports so it works just as fine, but also save to openoffice extensions

also i think there might be one or two proprietary features but they're highly unused so you might not need them(in office i mean). You can do pretty much everything in openoffice/libreoffice, it's just a little different to do the same things.
>>
When you save a file as docx in LibreOffice then Microsoft Office sometimes gives an error message about formatting or whatever when you open the file (despite that it works perfectly fine). People don't want to scare clients with error messages that Microsoft intentionally puts in.

That said, I unironically use Google Drive to write my business documents. Of course I do make regular backups.
>>
>>976723
Google Drive does have formatting issues with tables sometimes though.
>>
>>976719

In terms of excel:

libreoffice and the like are just slow and crashed/stuttered too often on me especially with larger tables. I don't trust them anymore.

It's worth the money to have a reliable product you don't have to debug all the time.
>>
>>976723
Does it really give an error?

I always use libreoffice for my homework assignments lmao

>>976728
>It's worth the money to have a reliable product you don't have to debug all the time.

>b-b-but muh freedoms
>>
>>976743

enjoy your freedom to suck stallman's sweaty chode.
>>
>>976764
I already have, I use Debian afterall.
>>
>>976764
>enjoy your freedom to suck stallman's sweaty chode.
Sounds alot clearner than sucking Bill's diseased scrotum.
>>
>>976780

see, the difference is I don't actually fellate bill for favours.

I give him money instead.
>>
>>976783
>being this pedantic
And I don't fellate Rich either.

He puts out for free.
>>
I found it far easier to integrate Office with custom programs. The API for OpenOffice (I think Libre is based on it) was a train wreck.
>>
>>976787

one man can only motivate so many people to find their own motivation to work for him.

I don't even know why we're arguing; you know we're on biz, right, and you know how products work, right?
>>
>>976804
You can earn money without restricting people's freedom you kuck.
>>
>>976830

I didn't purchase a powerpoint license in the hopes I could dig through the source code, modify it and sell it as a new product.

so your definition of freedom has absolutely no bearing on me

about the money, maybe. I'm not certain and I wouldn't trust in it.
>>
>>976836
>I didn't purchase a powerpoint license in the hopes I could dig through the source code, modify it and sell it as a new product

>Not using other people's work, modifying it a little bit(usually with others' work as well) and then selling it at a premium price with good marketing

Lmao is it your first day on /biz/?
>>
>>976719
LibeOffice can render pretty shit when transferred to Office, and the presentation software doesn't render so well in my experience.
>>
I really want to use LibreOffice, but it's god-fucking-awful. I was also able to get word for free without torrenting it, so I don't really have any reason not to use it
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.