[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody know how to get started on the path to become an accountant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: book-cover-money.jpg (47 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
book-cover-money.jpg
47 KB, 500x532
Anybody know how to get started on the path to become an accountant?
>>
>>973955
Major in Accounting in University and then do internships/network to hopefully get a job as an Accountant at a big 4 firm. Then get your CPA.
>>
>>973958
This completely.
>>
>>973958
What would I do at an internship?
>>
>>974245

Bitch/administrative work. Really basic shit.

If it's a big 4 internship you will get caked with benefits. They treat you great as intern because they want you to commit. Once you start working 80 hour work weeks during busy season they'll make their money back on you.

I would recommend doing an internship at a big 4 (fantastic for your resume) and rack up as much overtime because it pays 1.5x or double usually and it's piss easy work. Then I would either go straight to private (fuck doing the big 4 for 3 years) or go public in a mid size firm (best work life usually out of all public firms) so that you can get your CPA. Getting your CPA is a smart move as it increases your salary and job prospects greatly. It should put you in an upper middle class lifestyle easily.
>>
>>974250
Thanks. I'll get started once I'm out of High School and get my degree.
>>
>>974245

Fuck the big 4. Get into the federal government; you won't make a Big 4 Salary, but your leave benefits and working hours will be sweet and you'll have a base income and the spare time for independent ventures.
>>
>>973955
Say... any tips for someone who wants to get into actuarial work?

>>973958
>big 4
Isn't that basically impossible?
The Big 4 are advertising to people from ANY FUCKING DEGREE and you can find them putting out stands and doing events and shit at pretty much any good uni - the competition seems impossible.
>>
>>974260
This is what im doing as my grades dont appeal to big4
>>
>>974260
>Fuck the big 4. Get into the federal government

You realize this is exponentially harder than interning at a big 4?

>>975886
study harder fgt.

You think the federal government has lower standards than a big 4 firm? Seriously?
>>
>>974260
Granted I fucking sucked at accounting but isn't the government not bound by GAAP?

IE it may be a bad thing for a new accounting grad to jump into if he's looking at least be marketable in the private sector.
>>
>>973955
first stop is fullblown depression before getting a degree in accounting

it'll make things easier to bear down the road
>>
>>974260
This sounds comfy af.

How do I into a gov't job? I don't need to make a gorrillion dollars and never have time for myself, I just need comfy benefits and a base income like you said. I want to have a soul.
>>
>>976969
>first stop is fullblown depression before getting a degree in accounting

Accounting isn't so bad. Idk why people keep making le depression memes about it.
>>
Why aim so low OP?
>>
>>976969
>it'll make things easier to bear down the road
kek
>>
>>977034
fuck being an accountant

That job would SUCK.
>>
>>973955
Nice MAS 38 op!
>>
>>978644
>That job would SUCK.
Do tell?
>>
Is it possible to become an account this route after 30?
>>
>>97882
France made quite the gun.
>>
>>973955
>Go to good school w/ 5 year Masters program. >Intern after Soph Junior + Senior years.
>Get best job you can.
I have a friend who did this at UIUC, supposedly top 2 accounting program, and he accepted an offer of 80K on graduation in the tax department of a big 4.

He had 3.9+ GPA though.
>>
>>980507
tax season working 60+ hours a week for a few months

staring at numbers all day every day

memorizing tons of rules, laws, loopholes
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.