[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changing major for /biz/ purposes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Deep Dish.jpg (40 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
Deep Dish.jpg
40 KB, 550x413
I'm a sophomore in Computer Engineering, so I haven't begun my specialized courses very much. Thing is, I'm worried about market saturation and I'm more interested in software development (as I figure microprocessors really come down on Electrical Engineers more than computer engineers). I'm intending to start my internships this summer, but I'm considering jumping ship to biomedical engineering and just going after learning programming and software myself. Is this feasible?

My dream job is neuroprosthetics R&D
>>
>>972723
If there's a relevant research department at your university, schedule an appointment with someone immediately.

Not much advice /biz/ can really offer.
>>
>>972794
I was hoping there were some biomed engineers around. I've happened to meet one "in the wild" so to speak; he was a retired hospital worker that dealt with the machinery and all that.
>>
>>972799
>bio-anything.
>not over-saturated.
>>
>>972723
If you're going into software development/software engineering... all you need to do is make sure you're skill is on par with the top 5% of your class. Companies are hungry for software engineers right now. The problem is, not many of them are worthy of a six figure salary. You need to insure that you are. If you don't, your degree will be worth less to you.
>>
>>973218
your*
>>
>>972723
Where can a nigger get a pizza like that outside of Chicago? Deep dish in MA is limited to UNOS and I'd rather hang myself.
>>
>>973244
I've been looking myself, but I live in the South.
>>973214
It has higher projected market growth.
>>973218
Gotcha, just be better than everyone else and it should be fine. Come to think of it, that applies for a lot of stuff.
>>
>>972723
Software development is definitely a skill you can learn on your own if you have the right aptitude, especially if you can pick up another engineering discipline instead. This is coming from a EE who did a lot of programming (and is now in business school).
>>
>>972723
>I'm worried about market saturation

The market may be saturated with programmers, perhaps people with CS degrees.

The market is not saturated with good programmers with CS degrees. I have interviewed dozens, if not hundreds of people. The majority of programmers can barely program. Only a few know what they're talking about. That takes work. Most people just want do the minimum.
>>
>>973612
I'd never really considered that possibility.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.