[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you avoid procrastinating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 1448276922030.png (56 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1448276922030.png
56 KB, 240x240
How do you avoid procrastinating?
>>
I don't.

I masturbate all day, watch videogame YouTube videos and post on 4chan all day. And I justify it with some excuse like "I'm tired" "I'm taking a break, etc.
>>
>>970909
I put it off until tomorrow.
>>
>>970912
/thread

>>970916
kek
>>
>>970909
>How do you avoid procrastinating?
I'm pretty sure procrastination is related to perfectionism. You fear not being perfect so you procrastinate. Solution: Stop being a perfectionist, accept the imperfections and you'll be more likely to start the task then procrastinating.
>>
create new habits. all the behavioral science out of stanford shows that you start with micro habits.

spend 15 minutes every day doing something new. next week do 30 minutes every day etc.
>>
>>970922
This is hella true for me. Sometimes I can't figure out homework questions perfectly so I'll just not do them instead of getting them all done.

Same with other shit I do, if I don't 100% understand it I assume I'll mess up an important concept later on so I stop doing it.
>>
>>970909
by fapping
>>
200mg of caffeine at or after breakfast
>>
>>970909
I put a lot of filters on my pc,modem, tablet and smartphone like Kaspersky Parental Control, Open DNS, AppLock, etc. And then I use Pomodoro Technique to focus on my ongoing tasks.
Before I made up my mind, I spended only 1 hour of 8 hours working on my personal projects. Now I spend 6 hours of 8 hours. You can copy my anti-procastination model but if you don't set your mind in order to be efficient and productive person everyday, nothing will be useful for you.
>>
>>970930
>hella
Stop that, please. Srsly. Please
>>
>>970990
Why? Learn niggerspeak, pham-pham.
>>
>>970909
Having to ask yourself that question means that you are not going to make it. If you need to ask for it, a self-help book will not even be able to help you. Procrastination is you being afraid of what is going to happen if you commit to something. You rather browse /biz/ all day than getting shit done. How to enable yourself to start working and spending your time well? Easy. Sell your videogames, anime and other bullshit. Meditate 30-60 minutes daily. Cook yourself delicious dinner every day. No pizza or fastfood, but something extraordinary. Read at night to make yourself smarter. Focus on getting your tasks done, one by one. Do not reward yourself with something useless. If you get something done, mark it as done and do your next task. At the end of the day, after you have cooked yourself the best meal you've ever created, you'll look back at the day and feel accomplished. Congratulations, you now understand why people procrastinate and why you no longer do.
>>
>>971029
Very well put.
>>
>>971029
>At the end of the day, after you have cooked yourself the best meal you've ever created, you'll look back at the day and feel accomplished.

God I wish this were true.

>30 minutes: wake up and get ready
>30 minutes: drive to work
>8 hours: work
>60 minutes: exercise
>30 minutes: drive home
>15 minutes: shower
>45 minutes: cook and catch up on current events
>15 minutes: eat
>15 minutes: internet trashy shit
>30 minutes: meditate
>60 minutes: read coding books
>60 minutes: work on novel
>60 minutes: work on career services side business website/orders
>30 minutes: live life (do anything not seen above)
>8 hours: sleep

I followed this for 4 months and at the end of every day I felt like I was wasting my life because I wasn't happy. Some people aren't meant for success, the shit you have to do, even if you do it well, just isn't fulfilling.

I cut my annual earnings back about 30% to relax more.
>>
>>970927
Anywhere I can read more about this?
>>
>>970909
lemme think about it. i'll tell you tomorrow
>>
I feel that procrastination is the result of not so much a lack of time management, but rather a lack of *proper goal setting principles*. Both things are quite important, and both should be approached with the same amount of seriousness, but I feel that proper goal setting is underrated. I'm going to talk about this for a bit.

What is proper goal setting then?

Proper goal setting, in general, runs on metrics. There must be a quantifiable outcome to your objective. NUMBERS MATTER. I know that you can't put numbers to everything, but you can definitely apply numbers to many things in your life. I believe that applying numbers to a goal makes it more serious. One is more likely to tackle a serious problem than a trifle one, right?

Examples (for all of you fat fucks on /biz/):
>BAD goal: "I'm going to lose weight. How? Why, I'm going to start hitting the gym harder."

This is a shit goal. You've already failed at square zero. There's nothing actionable about this. No one's going to take this seriously, not even yourself. You're going to slack off here. Fucking fat fuck.

>GOOD goal: "I'm going to lose up to 20 lbs by the end of January. How? Well, for starters, I'm going to 1 hour of basic cardio at the gym. If I do this for 5 days out of the week, I can lose 2 lbs. each week. If I do this for the next 8 weeks, I can lose more than 16 lbs. Heck, I might even take 2 inches off of my gut."

This is much better. You know what you want. You know how you can get it, since you've given yourself an actionable plan. It'll need some work, but it's a start. You also have a time frame, with various steps for reference.

Effective goal setting requires metrics. Metrics provides DIRECTION. A vision. A man with a vision is less likely to fuck around. A man with direction gets things done.

Most people that procrastinate lack a sense of direction. I'll bet you that.
>>
>>971072
>mediate
Gay
>>
>>970909

http://www.amazon.com/Willpower-Instinct-Self-Control-Works-Matters/dp/1583335080/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448332249&sr=1-1&keywords=the+willpower+instinct
>>
Staying off this site
>>
>>970909
you start doing something.
people want some magic bullet but there is none.
also, don't set unrealistic expectations because that will just piss you off and you'll give up halfway. consistency is the most important thing, i'm talking about doing something consistently for at least a year.
>>
inb4 Shia Lebouf
>>
>>
>>970909
I tell myself that I'm actually never going to do it, so it's not technically procrastinating.
>>
>>970909

Stay away from useless distractions

ideally you only use the internet like you would use an encyclopedia or something

to make researches of any kind

other than that forget it
>>
>>971139
This guy's got it. As an ex fatty I set the goals in the same manner as described. I lost 22 kgs along the way.
Create a big goal. Break it down into smaller manageable goals. And keep track- usually by numbers.
You won't procrastinate if you really wanna do it. I want you to masturbate now. I bet you won't procrastinate with that job. What people attribute to procrastination is simply a lack of desire. This is the most important point and keep it in mind.
Why do you think games are so addictive? Those little levels of rpg characters and the amount of experience points create a tangible outcome of your growth which makes you Inest your time into it more.
If you want a book recommendation, 7 habits of highly effective people really helped me.
>>
File: 1391244365656.jpg (150 KB, 329x606) Image search: [Google]
1391244365656.jpg
150 KB, 329x606
>>970909

I used to have serious issues with procrastination.

My solution is a whiteboard with goals that is in line of sight with where I sit at my desk. I have tasks I set myself everyday and tick them off when I'm done.

Because I can see it, the whiteboard is a constant reminder of what needs to get done.
>>
>>970927
>behavioral
>science

>>971029
>Having to ask yourself that question means that you are not going to make it.

this is what /biz/ believes
>>
>>970909
Everyone will have a different answer.
Find out what works for you, if the solution was deliverable on a silver platter then it wouldn't be a so widespread problem
>>
>>971602
>this is what /biz/ believes

It's true. How are you going to excel if you need to search for all the answers, instead of knowing them all out of experience and clear thought?
>>
>>971609
the problem is that you are scared of doing shit and/or don't want to start planning stuff. find the reason or tell yourself to ignore that and you are done. everything else from "behavioral" "scientists" and internet advisors is bullshit
>>
>>971139
>>971523
This website(and ones like it such as FaceBook, reddit, buzzfeed, etc) are the prime reason people experience procrastination and have trouble getting down and finishing a paper, assignment, whatever.

Our attention spans are fucked from reading 1-2 sentences then looking for the next bit of interesting information to release dopamine again. In your head you're thinking... "Ok writing this paper is kind of boring, I've ton a bunch of research on this one topic and a lot of reading and thinking time for something fun", that something fun being a videogame or someone's new post - Once you got that little achievement or read that fragmented sentence post you feel as though you accomplished something and your reward center memes you into thinking you're not just a degenerate loser who got off-track of his important paper he has to submit tomorrow.
>>
What I hate is this backlash against being on our phones all the time. Like fuck you man, I could be reading some great shit. Serious literature. If it's more interesting fucking do it. that's what I live by.
>>
>>971534
Bun your whiteboard u pagan
>>
I don't even know if I want to live so I have difficulty not procrastinating

>le get busy living or get busy dying
>>
>>971627
Websites are the partial cause imo. I remember times when I ha EVERYTHING disables- phone, computer, tv- yet I wasted time by simply roaming around the house. If or wants to procrastinate/work, one will procrastinate/work irrespective of the environment is my experience.

I have stopped chasing that high you know, that little dopamine surge you're talking about. I dont know how but slowly as I grew out of gaming, other similar activities seemed picayune too. I rarely go to reddit, I visit facebook only once a month just to see my old friends. I guess one just grows out of the want for that dopamine hit once he realises what he must do to accomplish his goals. Everything else seems like bullshit. I tried gaming again, I couldn't go beyond half an hour without checking the time again and again.
One piece of advice id like to give would be start doing activities with delayed gratification while simultaneously decreasing the time for bullshit. Any activity like reading, playing an instrument, lifting/ fitness activity or whatever. Over the long term, small irrelevant will actually be perceived as just that- which is what you want so that you can save your time and grow out of procrastination.
>>
>>971654
I guess man but videogames just fill such an important void in our lives.

I don't think anything can replace the fun of WoW arenas with your pals
>>
>>971630
I have a bunch of great ebooks on my phone.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.