[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about this curve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: theshekelcurve.png (2 KB, 312x162) Image search: [Google]
theshekelcurve.png
2 KB, 312x162
Tell me about this curve /biz. Do you know what it is? Can you spot it in the practical world? Do you use it everyday to your advantage?
>>
>>970670
No.
>>
>>970670
Yes. I once spotted a curve like that in a waiting room at a dentist office. Was a nice curve, very gradual and unassuming. The curve belonged to an attached chair, belonging to a set of 3 such chairs. It fit my left and right buttocks nicely, giving them a good cushion and supporting a healthy upward posture. 10/10 would use curve again if encountered in the future.
>>
File: 457957453657.jpg (76 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
457957453657.jpg
76 KB, 709x765
It's believe it shows my job prospects after graduating
>>
>>970670
let me guess, its a jew meme right?
>>
>>970707
kekeke

>>970711
Close, but not quite. However, I am certain the chosen people use it extensively in their day-to-day thought process.
>>
>>970670
Ah yes. The decline of OP's heterosexuality over time.
>>
>>970722
That wouldn't be a curve, bro. It would be a straight line at 0
>>
Does this have something to do with standard deviations and 4pi?
>>
>>970714
I am of the chosen one, you can ask me.
>>
>>970670
Diminishing returns?
>>
File: enron.jpg (22 KB, 453x231) Image search: [Google]
enron.jpg
22 KB, 453x231
>>970736
OPs curve initially plummets and then evens out, like the opposite of diminishing returns.

I'm an uneducated drug addicted plebeian and a borderline retard but this looks to me like the value of a stock that recently shit the bed. Initial rapid selloff leaving only the faithful die-hards who are hoping for a recovery.

see green line in pic related
>>
>>970722
>P's heterosexuality over time.
Someone didn't learn his impulse functions ;)
>>970727
No
>>970736
Thats one possible modelling application, yes.

Anyone else? Or is everyone here a burger pleb who doesn't know their algebra, let alone functions?
>>
>>970670
1/x

Don't know what it means though. Inflation?
>>
>>970670
>Tell me about this curve /biz. Do you know what it is?

y = 1/x (or some variation of)
>>
>>970782
so like

y = 1/ (nx^n)
>>
NPV 1/(1+r)^t
>>
File: why.gif (231 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
231 KB, 800x508
>>970768
Alright plebs, the curve I posted models something called a Power Law. And if you're browsing /biz you better know what that is.

Here are three BASIC links to start off
Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law

Thiel and Horowitz on Power Law:
http://a16z.com/tag/power-law/

Examples of power law distributions:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiF0b72uqfJAhXGNSYKHd-tBXQQFghCMAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.cornell.edu%2Fhome%2Fkleinber%2Fnetworks-book%2Fnetworks-book-ch18.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFNn8uJWfRjVMOly7co_7_93cWs2Q&bvm=bv.108194040,d.eWE
>>
>>970670
Zipf's law?
>>
>>970786
OP confirmed for faggot
>>
It's a very steep demand curve with asymptotes at either end.
>>
File: bee.jpg (43 KB, 390x292) Image search: [Google]
bee.jpg
43 KB, 390x292
>>970786
Thanks for the education OP. So is the value of a dying company an example of Power Law in action or is the resemblance coincidental?
>>
>>970914
It can be, if you take the value of the company as the y-axis, and time as the x-axis. Groupon is really good example on a 5 year timeline.

However, the above is a shitty way to attempt to apply it. What Thiel talked about - that a few early technology companies will return 100-300x of his investment, several will barely break even and most will be complete losses is a better way to think about this.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.