[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lying On Resume
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
Have you lied on our resume before? How did it work out?
Also how much could you or have you gotten away with? Can you lie about a degree or do employers check or ask for a copy of it? I know its harder to lie about experience but you can put a friends number down as an ex employer to solve this. What do you think /biz/ is it worth it?
>>
>>966936
for example
i am currently a student and found a “route supervisor” job that pays 38-42k which is about 3.5x what i am making now. I could still go to school with this job which claims to be entry level but asks that you have some type of supervisor/managerial experience. Thinking about lying on resume about said experience and go for it. Whats the worst that can happen?
>>
>>966936
Why don't you know how to spell résumé properly? "Resume" is a verb
>>
>>966942
forgot about the accents
>>
On resume: systems analysis and solutions expert
In reality: helped my friend turn off and on his router once
Put him down as a reference! Maybe even employer if he brought you lunch for your hard work.
>>
>>966938
Never make something up out of this air, embellish if you feel inclined but don't fabricate
>>
>>966966
Didn't realize the amount of douchey words I used
>>
>>966938
I lied on a resume. I applied for an Accounting job in the city that required Quickbooks, and I listed Quickbooks on my resume. During the interview, they asked how much in depth I knew about Quickbooks. I told them I had experience using it for running a personal business. They ended up hiring me and told me to come in Monday. I had never used Quickbooks in my entire life.

I went home that weekend and crammed Youtube tutorials so I was okay when I started working for them.

If I didn't lie about this on my resume I'm certain they would not have hired me.

Also - if you're going to lie, lie about something that is unverifiable.
>>
I helped a friend for like one day at a major international trade organization. Put down on my resume that I did a semester long internship there and had friend cover for me.
>>
>>966936

I lie about knowing programming languages all the time.

Otherwise, I don't really need to lie about anything. My actual qualifications are pretty decent IMO.
>>
>>966984
I know things like excel and quick books can be lied about as you can do what you did and learn it very quickly
When it comes to things that are verifiable how do employers verify for your degree? I'm not going to lie about having one when I'm still in school but what exactly do they do to verify?

>>966988
Nice. What was the job?

>>966991
I wouldn't even think about lying about programming languages. How do you get away with this anon?
>>
>>967113
>How do you get away with this anon?

I play around with it for an hour if I get invited to an interview.
>>
>>967134
Do you have a job related to coding?
>>
File: 1444228072936.jpg (873 KB, 1440x1424) Image search: [Google]
1444228072936.jpg
873 KB, 1440x1424
>tfw got caught lying about being involved in a club
>tfw it probably cost me the job
>>
>>967174

Since last week I have a new one, yes.

At the interview they asked me if I knew my way around physics, I said I theoretically have a degree in computational physics.

They then asked me how I would solve an N^2 problem in N log N time and I gave them a solution in N.

In coding you just have to have enough base knowledge to bullshit your way to a working solution.
>>
I lied about not having any felony charges once. Still working there actually
>>
File: image.png (186 KB, 457x303) Image search: [Google]
image.png
186 KB, 457x303
>>967795
What club? And how did they find out?

>>967859
Fake it til you make it. Very nice anon. What is your title and salary if you don't mind me asking?

>>967904
I'm assuming they didn't do a thorough background check.
>>
Shameless self bump. Trying to see biggest thing someone has lied about on their résumé
>>
>>966966
Checking that one of a kind roll.

But, I'm not sure I've ever "lied"... but I have said things like I left my first internship because tax season was over when in reality I stopped showing up to work because my boss was a cock. No reference for that one kek.
>>
>>968089
I’ve lied about why I’ve left jobs before but I’m talking about lying about something to GET the job like a degree or a big internship something like that
>>
>>968017
SEAOC (structural engineering)
The boss asked me if I knew the club president and I said I didn't. Points out that I don't really go to the meetings
>>
it is a bad idea.

your new employer is going to know, they will either, do their due diligence and bust you that way, OR you will make it glaringly obvious that you lack the skills on the job.
embellish, sure,
keyword target , hell yes
make shit up and lie, not even once
>>
>>968102
ironically, i used to lie about being fired from a job of 7years, on my last job interview, i just told them the truth.

found out today, my blunt honesty got me the job. My technical skills were less than the other 4 candidates. But my "soft skills", presentation ability, and honesty were why they gave me the job.

in the words of the manager, " we can teach you the software, we cant teach you how to present to the "c suite" or make the client trust you.
>>
>>966936

Resumes are a joke. Lie away.

I've gotten multiple jobs with fake resumes. They never check.
>>
>>968292
You didn't look that up before hand? Come on anon

>>968325
I wouldn't want to hire someone who admitted to lying about something on their resume or if I found out but good for you anon. Now you're going to get paid to learn software. Very nice

>>968439
What have you lied about and what was the biggest thing you lied about?
>>
>>968624
The best thing to lie about is dates. Put 2014-2015 on something while you just worked from november till february. It is not a lie but it's easy to fill gaps like that

If you want to lie about experience you have to look up companies that have gone belly up and the original owners are hard to get into contact with. Future employers can never check.

The most genius lie I found was someone I knew who worked at student administration and managed to place himself into the alumni files of a bsc in economics and a msc in something else (economic too I thought). He then quit job and contacted the university later he lost his papers and he got his papers send complete with grades .

If anyone would double check they couldn't know he didn't really study it. It was really genious. Most of the skills in the degree were irrelevant for working anyway he applied to a management function at a bank got hired and has been succesfull there as far as I know.
>>
>>966936
yes
lied about making 77k and two side projects

they never cheked up on both of those and they ended up offering 94k
>>
File: 1390099867088.jpg (48 KB, 684x576) Image search: [Google]
1390099867088.jpg
48 KB, 684x576
I've been unemployed for 7 months so I just put down I've been working as a laborer the past few months for some temp agency, I hope nobody cares enough to try and verify it
>>
>>968624
I didnt lie on my resume .

Just , before in interviews when asked why i left my job of 7 years (sales)i would say something like, "i needed a change in my life" .

This time when asked why i left a job of 7 years i told them, i was fired for doing something stupid, rather than handel the situation like an adult. And that i regret the fact.
>>
>>966966
So I worked a landscaping job with my friend for 2 weeks before they replaced us for a crew could I say I did it for the summer?
>>
>>968753
Now that's what I'm talking about. Wish I knew someone who worked at a university admin office and could do this for me

>>968928
I have also lied about previous wages to leverage a higher wage

>>968930
For the jobs you're probably applying for most likely not

>>968934
They say lying about why you got fired or left a job is the lie most told in interviews. Legally your new employer is not allowed to try to find out what actually happened so they have to take your word for it

>>968937
You can say you were laid off or that it was seasonal
>>
I switched studies twice. According to my resume I switched studies once.
>>
>>969118
it may be the most told lie, but it is easy to see it for what it is.
>>
>>969124
Is this a joke? Why mention that you switched studies at all?
>>
>>969184
So what did you do after high school and before you went to university?

Ooh nothing.
>>
>>969185

did you switch universities?

just say that you went to university of X from 2008 to 2015 and graduated with a degree of whatever.

as an addendum you say you say you also took a lot of classes from this and that subject.

i don't even see how this is bad. this is a good thing.
>>
>>968624
I lie about job experience and skills usually.

Its never come back to bite me.
>>
>>966942
They're optional.
>>
>>967859
What was the problem?
>>
>>969273

n-body
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.