[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What jobs in finance could I get with a undegrad maths degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: eastwing.jpg (59 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
eastwing.jpg
59 KB, 400x267
I want to be a sleek business man.

Can I become a analyst? Do I need extra training.

What jobs in finance can i get with a undegrad maths degree ?

Thank you :)
>>
>>966584
Well, this is convenient, I just answered the same question in another thread.

"General finance (assurance, audit, consulting, tax, etc): I'd opt for avoiding it like the plague. If you go to any above average uni, you'll see the Big 4 advertising heavily, to the point where they're often voted the best graduate recruiters. It turns out that they're accepting applications from ANY FUCKING DEGREE. Let that sink in for a moment, it'd be hard for you to compete with people with finance degrees, but now you're having to compete basically everyone. Good fucking luck with that. To make matters worse, their intern turnover rates are over 90% and getting the internship is just as impossible as getting the job. So basically, I'm saying that mainstream finance borders on impossible.

Banking: Long story short, go watch a documentary - the whole sector is corrupt as fuck and it's extremely competitive anyway, while being insanely stressful and long hours, I made a bigger post to that shit guy who's spamming about how he wants to be an investment banker. I'll quote it since I suspect the mods will crush him soon.
"You don't want to get into investment banking. Go watch a fucking documentary on Enron, Bernie Maddoff or the global financial crisis. All investment bankers do is backstab people, including each other. It's human nature to overcome limits, like how you keep on bumping this fucking thread - the limits in the business world are capital, and regulations. So the top firms hire top lawyers and accountants and shit to cheat those regulations and sure - they'll get fucking rich, only to fall when they're caught or come the next inevitable rescission.

You cannot win, don't even try."

Obscure parts of finance (e.g. actuarial work, insurance shit): that's my main backup plan, I'm looking to learn more, at least I'll only be competing with STEM graduates

Also, see boards.4chan.org/adv/thread/16479279 before it dies.
>>
>>966896
boards.4chan.org/adv/thread/16479279/
Odd, that stuff usually gets shortened when I paste it. I thought it worked on archived threads...
>>
Guy with a masters in finance, are sales/advising ok? I just want a not absolutely boring job that also gives me a bunch of free time or at least has set hours. I literally dont have any idea what i want to do.
>>
You might be able to get into Accounting/consulting, risk ect.

For finance they normally take Post grads/ engineering students.

Major investment banks will take Phd. students as quants
>>
>>966584
If you did applied math and learnt some programming you could apply for some jr. analyst positions for small businesses and manufacturers. Search some postings and see exactly what you're lacking.

If you did pure math, go back to school for some business/finance courses.
>>
>>966961
>For finance they normally take Post grads/ engineering students.
Bullshit, Big4 finance firms are taking people from any degree background, the smaller ones usually either aren't employing or won't be targeting specific types of students from numerical degrees.
>>
>>966584
Dude, invent something. Think of something you find useful in your life and create it.

Read the Business Model Canvas, 4 hour workweek, bios and stories of entrepeneurs, google 'how to start a succesful business',

Here...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericwagner/2014/01/14/10-rules-to-build-a-wildly-successful-business/

Stop fucking around being lazy and try something. Good luck!
>>
If I major in Applied Math and minor in Mathematical Finance, am I good to go?
>>
>>966584
Take Actuarial exams(?) depending on where you are. I assume you're not American if you use the term "maths," so figure in what being an actuary would require over there. You can make some good money and they're always in demand.
>>
>>967030
>If I major in Applied Math and minor in Mathematical Finance, am I good to go?
You get out of uni what you put in anon.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.