[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So biz I was reading through the website on a college I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: stanford.jpg (235 KB, 970x379) Image search: [Google]
stanford.jpg
235 KB, 970x379
So biz I was reading through the website on a college I want to go to and it says that you can get you pharmd along with an MD, MPH, or PhD in pharmaceutical science, toxicology, or Medicinal Chemistry, in a shorter amount of time it would take to complete them back to back (plus you would be able to have a part time career as a pharmacist while working on your next degree) so what would be the best choice to pick to make the most money? Idk what jobs you can get from having mot of those degrees excpet MD and MPH
>>
>>961880
Most of those could work as a chemist. MD would probably be the most profitable. Pharmacy would probably be the best quality of life. Chemist would probably be least stress.
>>
>>961880
MD or you are wasting your time.
>>
>>961886
>Pharmacy would be the best quality of life
Do physicians live shitty lives?
>>
>>961893
Lol. 24 hour shifts, on call every weekend, constant target on your back for predatory lawsuits. If you hate having a home life it's great. I was trying to be a doctor but I wanted to do charity work. All of the doctors I shadowed seemed really burned out. You don't get to live a very relaxed life unless you are the cream of the crop and luck into a cake fellowship like dermatology.

A doctor I shadowed said that one of his partners came from a fellowship that boasted a 100% divorce rate, like it was something to be proud of.
>>
>>961902
Never thought of it like that,, but surely with that high ass income one would be able to invest it correctly and retire early right? Also hypothetical question, IF one was a pharmacist making starting salary, what would be the best way to go about investing that shit?
>>
>>961918
Yes, you could retire early. However, the average doctor owes $250k after graduation and makes very little relative to that amount. Until they become an attending physician (anywhere from 4-12 years depending on specific fellowships and aptitude) the big bucks don't start coming in. At that point many doctors are married to trophy wives and have families. They often end up pretty inundated with expenses and have to work as long as anyone else albeit much more comfortably. So unless you want to work your fingers to the bones for a bloodsucking family to blow through it, by all means.

Investing a pharmacist's salary? Idk thats a pretty broad question. You'd have to do your own homework and find out what suited you best.
>>
>>>/adv/
>>
>>961928
Also, most people that get into med school start the process in high school. It's not something you just "decide" to do one day after graduation. There is a VERY high barrier for entry. (Close to a 1% acceptance rate ifrc)

In fact, I didn't get in and I was one of the best contenders for my class. Basically, without a 4.0 and a 36 MCAT don't even waste your money applying. Unless of course your mommy or daddy went to that medschool. Then you're pretty much guaranteed a seat.
>>
>>961936

The national average med school acceptance rate is 40%. For particular schools, yes it is something like 1-2% chance but you need to apply broadly.
>>
>>961928
>>961936
Thanks for the advice, Im actually in Highschool atm and im just trying to see what would make me the most money, I was pretty set on being a pharmacist but the dual degree thing I saw got me thinking.
>>
>>961951
My family was going through some hard times while I was applying and I didn't have the money to do so. But you're right. I should have applied to more than the 10 I did. Only wasting $500 wasn't enough.

It's my own fault for being middle of the pack (relative to those accepted, not my class) but after seeing the blatant nepotism that is professional school acceptance and the garbage doctors have to put up with I'm not too upset I didn't get in.

>le fox and le grapes XD
>>
>>961902

This.

> Medical school
fuckin sucks
> residency
fuckin sucks

Even once you are a doctor, it's a lotta fuckin work and responsibility.

Seems pretty shitty to me. $250k+ per year ain't worth the shit they have to deal with.

Oh you wanted to enjoy the prime of your youth? Nope.
>>
>>961995
Hmmm, it does sound like it sucks now.
Maybe getting an MPH and becoming a Pharmacoepidemiologist would be optimal
>>
>>961995

lol @ all the people bashing medicine.

Every career has its pros and cons. If you want to be upper middle class and make 200k+, your life is going to be stressful and full of responsibility. You're also not going to see your family much. This is not exclusive to medicine.

There's not a single career out there that confers similar prestige and standard of living to medicine that doesn't have shitty aspects to it.
>>
>>962053
I could not possibly agree more. However, many people see it as some Scrubs or House situation instead of the day to day soulcrushing grind. I started losing faith in humanity and I only ever did shadowing.
>>
>>962056

>I started losing faith in humanity

That's a part of growing up.

Real world fuckin sucks. People suck. Human behavior is primal as fuck no matter how much we try to sugar coat things.

Truth is, an ambitious individual who truly wants to go into medicine won't be turned off by naysayers. And if they are dissuaded, they'll still want to go into other demanding careers like finance or engineering.

Success = tons of hard work and grinding. Find happiness in working your ass off.
>>
>>962063
I am currently completing my second bachelor's studying chem engineering and waiting to interview for a co-op at a plastics company. I never said I was giving up, I just realized that the altruistic "I want to help people" bullshit doesn't get you very far and that people don't care. So yeah, in a way I did grow up.
>>
Interesting advice here, I'm in university doing Math but lately I've been thinking of doing Medicine as well. I have no clue why but I just got up one day and started researching on it, and I'm 90% sure I'll probably switch into a Bio program, probably Biomed or maybe something else that allows me to take the pre reqs for Med Schools. I understand it's not normal to change your mind in university, especially when you're in your second year, but is it really MUCH harder to do once you're in a university, or is it just a "more time" thing? One of my friends is actually doing Biomed and her Dad is a Doctor at a Hospital in my city as well as a Professor and he sits on the Board of Directors for the Hospital so I'm sure if I asked nicely he could do something for me in terms of Med School. Our families are also pretty close, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Is it worth it? If you genuinely love the profession?
>>
>>962069
Well you have the nepotism part so yeah, go for it. I'd recommend not changing majors and just taking the prerequisites separately. They can't stop you.
>>
>>962069

>I understand it's not normal to change your mind in university, especially when you're in your second year

You're what, a teenager when you start college? It's plenty normal to change shit around, even up until junior year.
>>
>>962073

Yes, I was thinking about just doing the pre reqs but it would still take much longer and I'd probably fail because I haven't taken a single Chem course since high school.... So that's why I was thinking of just switching majors, and restarting and using my current Math skills in those classes? It would only set me back about half a year because I could do some courses through night school, or distance learning and even during the Summer. Any ideas on what type of Doctor is the most fun and challenging? Also how long does it take to be a Doctor and what are the different types? Like the main types....
>>
>>962080
AFAIK you would need
>gen chem 1&2
>O Chem 1&2
>biochemistry
>gen bio 1&2
>genetics

Add some summers and an extra class each semester and that's easily taken care of. Plus if it didn't work out you wouldn't be sitting on a useless degree.

I'm literally sitting here with a bio bachelor's able to work as a lab bitch for $20/hr and that's about it. You can do premed with any major and I'd recommend not switching, seriously.
>>
>>962081

I see, so its probably more efficient to just get my Math degree and finish these courses, so in the event I decide Medicine isn't for me, I can still go to Wall Street or something? Thanks for the help guys, really gotta think about this, picking my courses for next term soon so I've gotta decide asap!
>>
>>962080
As for your other questions... Man, you don't know ANYTHING. There are a shitload of specialties as well as your typical "doctor" and then surgeons. Fun and challenging? It's not supposed to be fun and it isn't. More like grueling intense work. ER seems to have some cool shit go on. Specialized surgeons have cool stuff too. I only ever shadowed CCU docs and infectious disease docs. Coolest thing I ever saw was staph.

I'll try to help you with your questions man. Have an email or something?
>>
>>962087

Don't really use social media, have no profiles or anything ha-ha. I'm actually Googling it all right now though, but thanks for your interest, appreciate it!

I think I'd be interested in Emergency Medicine, and probably Surgery, mainly Lung and Heart perhaps?
>>
>>962088
In my experience, the people that pick their specialties before med school were the first to drop (coming from the guy that couldn't get in). Take it one step at a time. They have rotations and there are ample opportunities for you to explore your options. Just focus on step one buddy.

>no email
Kek'd. I'm not trying to date you. I was going to help you with the process so you wouldn't make the same mistakes I did.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.