[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>NY Attorney General is fining ExxonMobil and Peabody Ene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_n21mfiDhcE1rfwfq9o1_400.png (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n21mfiDhcE1rfwfq9o1_400.png
22 KB, 400x400
>NY Attorney General is fining ExxonMobil and Peabody Energy for not properly disclosing the effects global warming legislation could possible have on their shareprices.

Can we talk about this bullshit? Now they are talking about using the strategy to go after healthcare companies and fast food companies.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13365169/1/ny-attorney-general-eric-schneiderman-s-crusade-against-exxonmobil-is-misguided-and-wrong.html

Explain yourself, NY Shitty.
>>
>>961596
Yeah. It would suck if some people had to become SLIGHTLY less rich at the expense of destroying our planet for future generations.
>>
>>961613
I assume you do not drive a car and power your home with solar.

Why should companies be required to guess at future government regulations and then pass on their predictions to shareholders?
>>
>>961641
I actually just read the article and I'm inclined to agree with you. I was assuming you were just against regulation. That's my fault for not actually reading.

It's complete bullshit to go after companies for not speculating and telling investors to sell. I hope the guy loses his job and just gets laughed out of office
>>
>>961641
Eolic, actually.
>>
>>961641
These aren't guesses. They are intensely funded studies that came up with a proven result. This is no different then say $LL execs selling stock based on their private studies that reveled their wood released toxins then letting the public take the hit later.
>>
>>961659
Not the same at all. When you buy lumber you dont expect poison to come with it. When you burn fossil fuels, it is common knowledge carbon dioxide is created.

>>961654
Yeah, thoughts on regulation aside, this strategy is bogus.
>>
>>961666
It isn't common knowledge that burning fossil fuels contributes to global warming (see all climate change deniers). Especially in the 1970's when these studies were first funded. This goes back 50 years.
>>
>>961711
>climate change deniers
There are anti-vaxxers too as well as people that deny evolution. Just because some people CHOOSE ignorance doesn't mean the facts aren't well presented and common knowledge.

I would argue that the average consumer knows the contribution that burning fossils fuels makes to climate change.

It should not be the oil company's responsibility to tell people not to use their product/buy their stock
>>
>>961719
McDonald's shouldn't have to tell people that their coffee is hot. The US is truly out to protect its citizens because their laws keep favoring retards.

>shitizens
>>
>>961719
Deniers of the climate change - carbon dioxide connection aren't just some people, it's a institution that includes half of our politicians and a big section of the voting public.
So even if it's well known in the scientific community there is just too much doubt in the general public. Think smokers pre '50s. But with a exponentially more complicated cause and effect cycle.

This is due in part to the covering up, and discrediting of studies as seen in this case.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.