[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Our Future Workforce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 9
File: Keely-Mullen.jpg (64 KB, 692x327) Image search: [Google]
Keely-Mullen.jpg
64 KB, 692x327
So /biz/...

What is our future workplaces going to look like when colleges churn out students like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmji36q8E4o

Will this be good or bad for our future?
>>
>>960108
People don't like to part with their money if it means they get nice things. She has a valid point.
>>
>Fox News

didn't watch
>>
>>960164
I dont understand why not
It's a dialogue between 2 opposing ideals. There's notbing bias about it when both ideas are equally represented.
>>
>>960108
Pretty painful to watch. I personally don't agree with a single thing she said, but she definitely did more harm than good to that ridiculous march by going on national TV with 0 facts, 0 statistics and 0 logic outside of her emotions
>>
>>960164
You know Fox Business is a separate entity from FoxNews right?

Fox Business is actually quite good while FoxNews is dogshit.
>>
>>960166
I'm not him, and Fox Business IS much better than Fox News, but the problem with Fox's "fair and balanced" mantra isn't that they represent two sides. It's that, invariably, the moderator will side with the side that most closely represents the views of their target audience: older conservative people. I mean, you're on the business board. You should be able to understand how adopting this strategy is pretty lucrative for a business like Fox News.

PBS news hour all the way, in my humble opinion. It gets accused of liberal bias from conservatives and conservative bias from liberals. a sweet spot.
>>
>>960182
>the problem with Fox's "fair and balanced" mantra isn't that they represent two sides. It's that, invariably, the moderator will side with the side that most closely represents the views of their target audience: older conservative people

At least Fox News is a lot better than Vice or Jizzabel or some shit. That shit is literally hearsay from a Redditor outputted as "Journalism".
>>
>>960182
>>960174
gtfo with this /pol/ bullshit. lets talk more about why this chick is an ignorant sloot
>>
>>960189
Nothing about /pol/ or /pol/-related was even mentioned. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>960190
>Debates new stations on thread about minimum wage,tuition and tax rates
>Not /pol/
keks
>>
dayum. I really wish they'd invite some ivy league faggots to argue the case for free college. this bitch is out of her league. hell, I'd handle myself an order of magnitude better than her, but I don't go around with muh MILLION STUDENT FACEBOOK MARCHES or whatever the dumb shit she's doing. whatever.

there should only be free college for jobs that are in demand right now i.e. le stem meme

the 1.1 trillion dollar student loans bubble wouldn't be a thing if people weren't allowed to major in fucking history and psychology
>>
>>960194
>Ivy League
Yale recently had protests over an administrator saying that she wasn't going to expel students for wearing Halloween costumes.
>>
>>960194
As it turns out, people can major in whatever the fuck the want to, that's the whole point of college you loser. Many history majors go on to become successful lawyers, judges etc.
>Free College keks
>As explained in the video - how in the fuck would this be achieved
>>
>>960193
>Someone says they didn't watch because le foxnews
>Inform them that FoxNews and Fox Business are separate entities and very different

>>960194
>the 1.1 trillion dollar student loans bubble wouldn't be a thing if people weren't allowed to major in fucking history and psychology

There isn't enough jobs for STEM. STEM is in demand but by no means can an infinite amount of people go into it. We need some fags studying sociology and such, not everyone can be rich.
>>
>>960201
>When the butthurt clogs your eyes
please look at my posts in this thread and tell me if I said that?
>>
>>960194
>there should only be free college for jobs that are in demand right now i.e. le stem meme

Free STEM college doesn't yield instantly qualified employees. All you'd get is a massive pool of incompetent graduates coming up with something else to complain about for being unemployed, like "muh workplace sexism".

Useful degrees don't make useless people useful.
>>
>>960202
I didn't say you did. It's what I and the other poster said and you called it "/pol/ shit".

When I literally just informed him that they're very different.
>>
>>960201
Although we are on the same page here - could you imagine the supply of STEM jobs if college were free for them? One of the dumbest things i've ever heard anyone say, so atleast we agree on something here
>>
>>960197
yeah, I know people like to lol when ivy leagues do dumb shit, but there are a lot of brilliant kids that could show up that host

>>960200
shut up faggot. if you want to major in women's studies and history, you shouldn't get to do it for free. you're likely going to remain unemployed and you'll be a poor investment of society's resources

>Many history majors go on to become successful lawyers, judges etc.

I'm sure there are, but most of them end up as massive losers. You can major in whatever the fuck you want, but you can pay for it yourself.

>>960201
>There isn't enough jobs for STEM. STEM is in demand but by no means can an infinite amount of people go into it. We need some fags studying sociology and such, not everyone can be rich.

If they aren't in STEM, they are way more likely to be unemployed. Vocational education should be free as well.
>>
>>960209
This is where i have to call it a day. In every post on here I've displayed my resentment towards ANY type of free tuition. You really never realize how stupid people are until you stop lurking and finally engage in a conversation.
>>
>>960210
I don't really care. I never said people couldn't major in whatever the fuck they want. You lack reading comprehension, and I don't need to read through a thread's entire history to remember every participant's viewpoints. Bye.
>>
File: 1386627023907.gif (2 MB, 161x149) Image search: [Google]
1386627023907.gif
2 MB, 161x149
>going on TV to speak on behalf of a group
>didnt invest a single critical thought on the stuff she supports

Its like shes a different species. I cant even comprehend how someone can be so ignorant and show it to the entire world.
>>
>>960209
>If they aren't in STEM, they are way more likely to be unemployed. Vocational education should be free as well.

I know but I don't want faggots saturating the good fields.

Although to be totally honest if we had more engineers we could significantly improve technology which we might create even more jobs for the new technology tbqth.

But shit cannot just be "free", that's retarded and ridiculously expensive and very difficult to properly implement without abuse and costing more than it needs to at minimum.
>>
>>960224
>But shit cannot just be "free"

what do you think the government does? it provides free shit

I think the role of government should be extremely limited, but public education is one thing where I think they can do some good. our society benefits from a smarter general population

a single 15 billion dollar carrier could send 250,000 people through college. we have something like 14 super carriers in service. I've lost count, though. it's been awhile since I've looked at how much we already waste on defense
>>
>>960232
>what do you think the government does? it provides free shit
Where do you think that free shit comes from? Thin air? The "wan pursenttt"?

>our society benefits from a smarter general population
Then why do you want to subject them to public schooling, arguably the lowest quality education in the US at the moment?
>>
>>960232
Why can't they just take out loans?

Student loans are literally nothing if you work through college/summers/do internships AND major in something useful.

You can easily earn like $1k/month while going to college unless extremely difficult courseload. If you do internships even more and it's relevant to build experience, and if you get a $50k/yr+ starting job as people do who major in normal things it's very easily pay offable, assuming no parent help or anything.
>>
>>960232
>it's been awhile since I've looked at how much we already waste on defense
Where else are History and Sociology graduates going to work?
>>
>>960232
How much is it costing you to go to school?
It's like 30 grand for four years in-state with room and board included.
>>
>>960232
>it's been awhile since I've looked at how much we already waste on defense

We spend tons of defense sure. But military creates SOOO many jobs all over the world. If we ended it all of a sudden tons of people would be jobless.
>>
The best part of liberalism is that you eventually grow out of it when you actually get a fucking job.

It's easy to think like that when you're in an echo chamber hug box university with professor Goldstein, but working a real job is a big reality check.
>>
>>960182

Fox News is factually the least opinionated cable news channel.

It is literally as close to "fair and balanced" as you can get with basic cable
>>
>>960250
Libcukks only see bias when their views are disagreed with.

They don't see it in their own media and tumblr posts
>>
>>960232
Do you have any inkling at all about how an economy operates and what you can and can't do to sustain an economy as intricate at the United States? Surely not or you wouldn't be throwing around these absolute ludicrous ideas and opinions.
>a single 15 billion dollar carrier could send 250,000 blah blah
No, throwing around monetary values and numbers around does not support your points
>>
>military creates SOOO many jobs

the government does not "create jobs"

the military just keeps the rest of the world in check so psudo-capitalism can run globally
>>
>>960189
>>960193
Wow kike spotted, gas yourself asap
>>
>>960275
>the government does not "create jobs"
>the military just keeps the rest of the world in check so psudo-capitalism can run globally

I meant that if all of a sudden the US military significantly downsized, it would result in a huge number of people without jobs(some not even working in the military, but rather workers producing things the military purchases from them).

All of those people would need to find new jobs, which would affect the labor market negatively.
>>
>>960200
With an optimized system, those majoring in prelaw would go on to become successful lawyers. You don't need a history department for that.

There is very little demand for historians outside of teaching history and there should be a very select few studying it. If you're super fucking interested in history then you should study it independently, not accrue $100k in debt for some shmuck to tell you what books to read.

The problem is that college is sold not as a tool to better oneself but as a lifestyle. That is damaging to many more students than the select few that become successful.
>>
>>960232
>our society benefits from a smarter general population
Then you should probably castrate all blacks and mexicans.
That would actually give you a smarter population. Giving out degrees will give you an overqualified population.
>>
Millennials have been raised being told that their struggle and misfortune was the economy's fault, and not theirs. Even as the economy improves, their mindset it still focused on blaming other people for their lack of success. Some have resorted to using gender/racial inequality as an excuse for their laziness and incompetence, and engage in childish outbursts to demand special treatment and taxpayer-funded government handouts.
>>
>>960381
This desu.

>Muh boomers muh boomers

Take some fucking responsibility you cuc kold millennials. The boomers are not at fault that you majored in Women's Studies and Psychology and send out under 5 resumes a week. Even in a booming economy you wouldn't get a job.
>>
>>960385
>Going to school for STEM degree
>Get some financial aid, but not enough for full degree
>Worry about student loans
>"We'll pay for it, Anon, just go to school'
>Go one semester
>Try to register for next semester
>"We didn't have the money, Anon, so you're in debt"
>Can't register for a year
>Also had loan taken out in my name when I first started and had financial aid
>Parents didn't let me know/kept any mail the loan company sent me
>417 credit score

I don't even know anymore, Anon. I'm looking at codeacademy, but I honestly don't even want to go to uni anymore.
>>
>>960387
Get a job first of all man, just find some meme job ideally for 20-30 hours/wk.

And then research grants, scholorships etc you qualify for.

Visit your university's financial aid office. Explain the situation to them and they will give you some helpful suggestions. The school can even give out (somewhat small) loans to students who are in need.

Just try to think clearly, there's always a way to finance tuition.
>>
>>960387
Codeacademy is for children and confused schmucks who fell for the "coding" fad. If you want to learn something about computer science, started with the basics. The real basics, not the abstract and useless bullshit various sites offer that educate you on little more than how to make things appear on the screen. Read books like SICP, K&R, The Mythical Man-Month and later on books like the dragon book.
>>
>>960388
Nice dubs.

Not a freshman, so there's no uni-granted ones I qualify for. I did schedule to meet with the financial aid head after my email was compromised and my parents were sending emails to them posing as me, but he'd already responded to their emails (there's some financial aid I can get, fortunately) before I could explain anything. I want to meet in person so he can be certain it's me talking to him.

I also need to get on some antidepressants or something, man. Being t old your whole life you won't be shit without college and then having such a fiasco with trying to be in college just makes you feel worthless.

>>960389
That's the thing, I just never get any idea where to start, considering the dozens of languages and "start here" places. I'll look into SICP.
>>
>>960389
>Codeacademy is for children and confused schmucks who fell for the "coding" fad

This. codecadamy literally qualifies you to be able to read a book on Python or whatever. Doesn't teach you jack dick and is pretty much just trying to throw a bunch of "fun stuff" to do as quickly and easily as you can.
>Type _____
>Here's some functions from ___ library, now call them with typical arguments
Done! U are a mega python wizard x:D

>>960389
>Read books like SICP, K&R, The Mythical Man-Month and later on books like the dragon book

>>>/g/
lmao tbqh. Next you're going to recommend the C meme? And then the linoox/geeny?
>>
File: 1407978679948.jpg (118 KB, 480x341) Image search: [Google]
1407978679948.jpg
118 KB, 480x341
>>960394
>That's the thing, I just never get any idea where to start, considering the dozens of languages and "start here" places. I'll look into SICP.

If you just want a quick job/career-start then learn Ruby on Rails. It's easy as fuck and you can be a kewl hipster web developer earning $90k/yr using a meme language/framework.

>after my email was compromised and my parents were sending emails to them posing as me

What the fuck? That's hella disturbing senpai. What was their reasoning for it?

>Being t old your whole life you won't be shit without college and then having such a fiasco with trying to be in college just makes you feel worthless

Eh, college isn't the end-all of life but it's pretty important. Try to figure your shit out man. MAybe go to a community college for a while, while you earn money/figure out your finances?
>>
>>960108
he's being a bit unfair.

He's neglecting to mention the low hanging fruit, the obvious point that could be made if he wanted to progress the conversation further in stead of just make her squirm for as long as possible , which is that it would cost a lot less to provide college education if you adpted a german system of university education.

undergraduate degrees can be done in 3 years , not 4 years
science students should not be obligated to do courses I media studies or whatever
university education does not need to be taught like in hgihschool with interactive classes of 20 or 30, lectures will do fie for most non-practical teaching, supplemented by a smaller number of seminars.
students who don't do well can lose the opportunity to progress through college paid for by the state.

all of these things can reduce the cost dramatically.
>>
>>960395
>>960389
It teaches you syntax. That's the initial barrier for people to start working on projects.
Courses from top universities are available online cs61a.org for free.
As a Cal grad, I can tell you that they test you more than teach you.
I've known people without degrees who are really good because they taught themselves.
>>
>>960411
>It teaches you syntax. That's the initial barrier for people to start working on projects

No it's not... Basic Syntax literally takes a week to learn for a language. The whole difficulty is knowing HOW to do things exactly. Data structures, dynamically vs statically allocated memory, pass by reference vs pass by value, what is stack and heap, exception handling, OOP, pointers, etc etc.

There is so much more to it than syntax. Syntax is nothing, you can print out of a cheatsheet of basic syntax for any language and just take a glance at it and know most of syntax, the trick is knowing how to use it.
>>
>>960395
C is still useful for many things like embedded development. While I certainly don't recommend using it for high level applications where garbage collection and whatnot are feasible, knowing it along with some form of assembler doesn't hurt.
>implying I shill for Linux
BSD, my man. Been using it since my days at uni when we had to pay to use a terminal at the EE lab's MicroVAX.
>>960411
If you need to have your hand held while learning a language's basic syntax, you shouldn't be programming.
>>
>>960399
>Ruby on Rails

Got it. Call me whatever, but I've actually wanted to make a kids' website for a while now, since I remember liking stuff like Neopets as a little kid and the internet's only gotten bigger.

>What the fuck? That's hella disturbing senpai. What was their reasoning for it?

I assume it's because they didn't know if I was talking to financial aid myself and figured it was easier to do it themselves than just ask me? But that's my guessing, since when I told them I found out they had because their email got a response, they just told me to get over it.

>MAybe go to a community college for a while

I might end up doing that, if I can afford it; I want to move out, though it's not financially feasible. I used to work at a place 55-60 hours a week; I thought the constant company would keep me out of my more depressive moods. That it did not, though I'm good at working through it and not letting it show. I left when promotions came around and I was skipped over for people working less than 1/3rd my hours with the same experience. Something about not wanting to spend money on employees that are a risk of leaving for college. I left on good terms and the business is in desperate need of workers, though; they still ask if I want to come back, though the pay would be the same. I might return, but not try to cream 200+ hours into a month again.
>>
>>960420
>C is still useful for many things like embedded development

I hate the C memes but it is pretty great base for learning C# or C++ or really anything afterwards. Teaches you the fundamentals in a non-bloated environment like C++ where your head will just explode if you try to learn right away.

>>implying I shill for Linux

Was just memeing, friend :^) I use Debian with xfce4 on my thinkpad while reading /g/ memes lmao. It's p fucking GOAT
>>
>>960424
>Got it. Call me whatever, but I've actually wanted to make a kids' website for a while now, since I remember liking stuff like Neopets as a little kid and the internet's only gotten bigger.

That's good man.

Learn ruby on rails and set yourself a goal to create whatever meme website you can think of and just work on it. Doesn't matter if it's impractical or whatever.

Learn to setup a server and all that, it will teach you a lot.

About the job try to find something, if you're strapped for money and you're not working then that's just wrong.

You can do it just go meet in person with your financial aid office and then they should be able to help you out with making a plan and all.
>>
File: image.jpg (229 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
229 KB, 640x1136
>>960194
A Facebook post from someone I know
>>
>>960446
Shit wrong one whatever
>>
>>960267
durr it's too complex, therefore you can't have simple answers to complex problems. nice logical fallacy

what is ludicrous about saying we spend too much money on defense? rand paul, specifically, has made the same claim

if you had any idea about what you were talking about, you would realize that I make sense. allan meltzer, robert reich and a host of others talk about how the government disproportionately spends too much money on the old and not enough on the young

>a single 15 billion dollar carrier could send 250,000 blah blah
>No, throwing around monetary values and numbers around does not support your points

yes, it does, you fucking moron. it shows the scale of the problems we are dealing with

eisenhower's most famous speech did the exact same thing:

"The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities.

It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population.

It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway."

shove your arrogant, uninformed opinions up your ass

>>960246
military spending is one of the least productive uses of the workforce you could possibly have. there was a huge debate on whether military spending should have been included in calculating a nation's GDP in the first half of the century. unfortunately, defense spending is included in GDP while pretty much every economist worth a damn knows how wrong this is

>>960372
yeah, except that is politically impossible and nazi tier shit. modern eugenicists and muh neoreactionaries are going to look like assholes when genetic engineering really takes off in the next decade
>>
Post Secondary education should be subsidized so its affordable, but no way should it be free.

people need to understand what they're getting has value, if you give hand outs people wont take it seriously and they will squander resources.
subsidize it, anyone can still go to university/college with a little work and they're investing their own money (or families money) so they should in theory take it seriously.
>>
>>960385
>Tfw you fell for the "get a degree you enjoy" meme and did Psych/Neuroscience major
How do I unfuck myself into making money
>>
>>960524
It's more than affordable(outside Ivy leagues).

Take out loans, work a job during college and summer(summer is no excuses, and that's an easy few $5k or so), parents should help you, do internships, major in non-shit major. It's easy, college is more than affordable.

>>960526
Learn to do something that has value. Neuroscience doesn't seem like that much of a meme, not sure how but try to leverage it in some way?
>>
>>960530
>Learn to do something that has value.
I've learned and enjoy statistics and can do most basic things like correlation, regression, ANOVA functions, etc. Nothing advanced but I like learning it.
I don't think I'm cut out for a Ph.D and Neuroscience job just because I have a mediocre 3.3 GPA and don't want to spend another 5 years in school. So I've been thinking of getting into business.

Pipe dream is maybe Harvard MBA, maybe. Just trying to reorient myself professionally instead of wasting my time going deeper in a direction that won't have benefit for me. I doubt I'd want to become a neurosurgeon anyway.
>>
>>960182
i dont see that as a problem because they let the opposing perspective have just as much air time.

Other news stations literally don't have anybody with opposing views on their show, fox does it all the time and i think that's great, regardless thatt they are overwhelmingly in favour of republicans.
>>
There hasn't been a single reply here that has explained why free education is bad.

Why are people so hung up on "Deserving-ness" or Morality. If the total social benefit is positive, then it is worth doing. There is no "cost". Since money has been reduced to an "exchange token", lack of money is the real problem. Thus, something like basic income will be tremendously beneficial to society. Since Monopoly and Technological employment are standing in the way of progress, it is solved by basic income.
>>
File: 1445514673468.jpg (360 KB, 743x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445514673468.jpg
360 KB, 743x1000
I used to think /biz/ was one of the smarter boards on 4chan; however, after reading these commends, I have confirmed that you all are just as retarded as the girl in this video.

Thanks, /biz/. Stay comfy.
>>
I see posts here all the time that show that you all don't understand:

1. Modern economics
2. What is money/where does it come from?
3. Present/Future conditions versus the past

Let me give the short answer to these 3 points:

1. The future of economics is social/personal utilization and efficiency of demand. The perfect economy is 100% demand consumption.

2. Money is essential the "ledger" or "scoreboard" of society. It doesn't come from a commodity like gold or even the FED. Example: If you give a gift to someone, they "owe" you one. You just created money.

3. Present and future conditions are vastly different from the past. People here think that the laws of economics are like scientific laws. Economics is a soft/social science. Thus the rules need to adapt to social change.
>>
>>960108
She's retarded but so is Cavuto.

The US government can afford to pay for anything it wants since it's the sole currency issuer. Gold standard thinking of "tax and spend" no longer applies. In a fiat currency, governments spend before they tax and only face inflationary limits on their spending not revenue limits. Cavuto's arguments surrounding tax revenue are based on a complete misunderstanding of the monetary system.
>>
As an European it's pretty clear to me who should pay for it.
The tax payer. And the idea is that every cent invested in education should lead to more income and more taxes being paid by those educated people.
>>
>>960614
So education becomes more accessible for the less fortunate, but eventually they should pay for it themselves.
>>
File: 1297984998030.png (15 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
1297984998030.png
15 KB, 679x427
>>960608
>I used to think /biz/ was one of the smarter boards on 4chan

You poor bastard.
>>
>>960357
>The problem is that college is sold not as a tool to better oneself but as a lifestyle

UNDERRATED POST.

One should actively CHOOSE to go to college/uni to purely become more qualified for better or more difficult work.

Not just cos thats what you're supposed to do after high school to occupy the next four years of your institution-dependent life before you settle for that shitty 20 grand a year salary
>>
It's fantastic for somebody my age. This is my competition. Wonderful.
>>
>>960108
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>960108
The future workforce will probably be much the same, just more bitterly disillusioned.

>I should get everything for free!
>How? Er, tax the rich, I guess?
>And if the rich leave? Tax the next-richest person and carry on until everyone is equally broke
>>
>>960641
Where the fuck was this advice when I was 18.
>>
she just bother ass handed to her , wow
>>
Be easy on her guys, she comes from a VERY working class family
>>
>>960507
>modern eugenicists and muh neoreactionaries are going to look like assholes when genetic engineering really takes off in the next decade

Not really, everyone is just going to become white so this whole race thing will be a non-issue at that point.
>>
People like this just ending up being some liberal arts teacher or someones wife. The economy doesn't give a shit about people like this suck it up or GTFO is pretty much how it works.
>>
File: 12432141324.png (513 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
12432141324.png
513 KB, 1280x720
>>960250
>Fox News is factually the least opinionated cable news channel.

Never heard of C-SPAN ?
>>
>>960641
This. Uni is for upskilling, not giving you skills.
Example:
>Uni from 18-23yo
>BA of Just-Fuck-My-Shit-Up
>"But Anon, don't you know Honours is a REQUIREMENT now? Your grades mean you're illegible for it anyway sooo..."
>Two years in unrelated industry WHICH I had to do training for anyway
>Hours get cut from 35-40 to 16-20
>Go for promo
>"Sorry Anon, you're over qualified for this job, we're looking for someone YOUNGER, y'know, a real up-and-cummer. You could help by assisting in training though..."
>Hand in resignation next day
>Going to Technical College next year to do Project Management

Go irl skills and experience, then go to uni.
>eg. Do community care et al., then go do Medicine.
>>
>>960108

I agree with her.

Maybe people will stop working their fucking asses off so people at the top can keep getting 5% - 10% on their massive fortunes every year.
>>
>>960108
Lol from an outsider it's funny to look at american debates on this crap xD
You people have been so brainwashed, that having to get into several tens of thousands of dollars in debt to have a college education seems normal and acceptable hahahaha

In the meanwhile I just got a master in engineering for close to free over here in europe, and funnily enough I'm working for an american company so I'm getting as much as a murrican, with 0 debt though.

The idea that people should borrow money for college is so stupid, it's a basic service in a developed civilization, but murricans are too stupid to see that.

I love my free healthcare and education, even if it means slightly higher taxes. College and healthcare price in the us has been so inflated, training a student doesn't or healing someone doesn't cost that much, but they are basic needs and privatizing something like that means fuckers can pretty much ask for any price they like.
>>
>>960108
>90% of taxes

lol he's being a retard. No one in the us ever paid close to 90% cmon now. What a stupid "debate" on both sides. It's like watching monkeys argue
>>
>>961867
It's hyperbole and she didn't have her facts straight enough to invalidate his argument. It's a shame. Could have been a good debate with someone that was actually prepared. They literally brought her on to torch her and discredit the movement as an ignorant, idealistic pipedream.

It's a pretty lame move.
>>
>>961872
> They literally brought her on to torch her and discredit the movement

wouldn't expect anything else from fox news.

Still, if she was slightly more prepared she could have easily shut him down by saying "europe is doing it", and when rebutted with greece she could have just mentioned any working european country.
>>
>>960219
>"I come from a very working class family."
>"My family is on government benefits."

my sides
>>
>>960200
Amazon, used bookstores, Barnes and Noble, the public library.

All a hell of a lot cheaper than going to college to major in history.
>>
Who in the world would be okay having 90 cents of each dollar they earned taken away for the government to further fuck their shit up?
>>
>>960108
You think companies will hire and keep these college educated idiots on payroll? Even if they get past the interview there is little reason to believe they'll hold a job.
>>
File: harold.jpg (21 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
21 KB, 300x450
>>961875
>spain goes broke from too many bennies
doesn't count, not real europe
>greece goes broke from too many bennies
>portugal goes broke from too many bennies
>sweden projected to be a third world country in 2050

>france and germany have bennies
WOW GUYS LOOK EUROPE DOES IT, ITS 2015 EVERYONE I MEAN COME ON NOW
>>
>>962133
Not exploiting our youth, read: our future workforce, is far from too many benefits. Even if colleges were simply subsidized more or regulated to stop exponentially raising their prices that would be a good start. It doesnt have to be FREE COLLEGE FOR EVERYONE PLUS FREE HOUSING FREE FOOD FREE CARS FREE COMPUTERS AND A $100K/YEAR STIPEND.

The media uses this alarmism and bullshit exaggerated figures like 90% tax rate to scare people. You and I both know that the current university system here is beyond fucked.
>>
File: 1445738390466.jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1445738390466.jpg
16 KB, 320x240
>>961851
>5% - 10%
If any of those people at the top aren't getting close to 25% returns on their long term investments per annum then they'd immediately fire and possibly assassinate all their financial advisers.
>>
>>960132
People who earned there money should not have to part with it.

Why should the rich pay for students to get drunk and fuck?

>>960295
There is nothing wrong with being a Jew. Not all of us retarded neo nazis that are scared of Jews.
>>
>>960108
It's basic supply and demand, in 1940 only 5% of American adults had a tertiary qualification, now in 2015 more that 30% of American adults have a tertiary qualification, this increase in supply of tertiary qualified people significantly outweighs the demand for tertiary qualified people especially in fields like law and sociology, this has massively devalued most college educated people
>>
>>962179

clearly a kike

you aren't even trying to hide it you filthy cockroach
>>
>>962152
>You and I both know that the current university system here is beyond fucked

and ironically it's because of the government. as soon as federal loans program kicked into overdrive around the mid 80s/late 90s universities started increasing their prices because hey, why the fuck not, the government is giving out all this money, the kids can pay for it with that.

we had a better system in the 80s and earlier when kids could pay for their college with the shitty wages from their summer jobs.

if you want government to be the answer, make some law that caps tuition(and do it right, not fucked up like rent freezes), don't just keep giving out free money. but our government is literally retarded so of course we'll keep giving out money/grants/loans, and universities will just keep increasing tuition. it's like a sick dance. as long as we keep giving out mo money for dem programs you won't see cheap college anytime soon, and i don't think throwing more money at it with programs is the right way to go about it

tl;dr yes it's fucked but a bernie tier "dude free shit lmao" plan isn't going to solve it
>>
>>962194
poor idiot detected
>>
>>960267
>durr I can't point out what's wrong with a simple analogy for a point that's more or less patently correct
>I know! I'll imply I know things he doesn't, and call him an idiot, that'll show him
>>
>>962038
>what is marginal taxation
>>
>>960417
You can learn those things while working on projects. You can't start a project without knowing how to write a valid statement, though.
>>960420
It expediates the process. It just goes through a checklist of how to do basic operations the same way someone investigating a new language would.
>>
>>960108
BRB moving to ecuador
>>
>>960407
It would help people who are not smart enough to go to college. You don't need a 4 year degree to answer a phone and type e-mail. A year or 2 of getting shit on in customer service and a week of OJT would suffice. A limited supply of college grads would tamper the qualification inflation for jobs.

Getting colleges out of being farm teams for the NFL and NBA would help as would streamlining administration. You don't need a $2 million dollar a year football coach or 30 admins of coordinating bullshit making $200k doing nothing to get a good education.
>>
>>962742
I hear chile is relatively free to do business in
>based pinochet
>>
>>960250
CNN is the least, but that's beside the point. All cable new channels are extremely biased and so saying one is the least is like saying you're the smartest retard.
>>
>>960605
There's a lot of strawmanning the other side, though.
>>
>own a public college,
make the government loan out money to students.
artificially increasing demand (which in turn allows me to ramp out prices based on loans)
enabling me to increase prices of college degrees exponentially.
giving students a degree and a fcking mortgage after 5 years, (which they could have spent gaining real life work experience) living in my "hotel"
leave the university getting taxed to death due to governmetn subsidies to my public college to pay for the next suckers.
those that are able to earn enough money to pay off the taxes are faced with huge school debt.
can;t even apply for mortgages because no money left to use.

That's the result of bernie's "free education" policy.
>>
>>962912
Athletics raise more money for a school than tuition does. When a school does better at football than other schools, they sell more tickets.
How do you do better? You hire a better coaching staff than the other teams. What stops the other teams from poaching your staff? You pay them a higher wage than the other schools are willing offer.

Having a 2 million dollar per year coach doesn't affect the academic side of a school at all. It doesn't divert funds from academia at all.
>>
>>960108
News flash: if you taxed he income of the richest 1% at 100% you wouldn't even have enough to balance the budget.

>there will always be a 1%
She literally doesn't understand that they'd be poorer than now.

honestly, just change college so gender studies pay more and engineers pay less.
>>
>>960340
and the structure of production would shift. I think it'd be safe to assume that under current market conditions the ppf is significantly lower for domestic goods than what it could be
>>
>>962177
25% yearly interest? are you smoking crack?
>>
>>963540
>Athletics raise more money for a school than tuition does

For 20 colleges in the US they do. The programs are a drain on the rest

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2014/dec/22/jim-moran/moran-says-only-20-colleges-make-profit-sports/

>A total of 20 athletics programs in the FBS reported positive net revenues for the 2013 fiscal year.
>Only two sports were profitable at FBS schools, according to the report. Football programs netted a median profit of slightly more than $3 million and men’s basketball netted a median $340,000. But the profits at most schools quickly vanished after paying for a long list of other intercollegiate teams, all of which lose money. The median loss among of athletic departments was $11.6 million.

For the numbers: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Having a world renowned research program attracts more money and international students(who pay full price) than a handegg or negroball program does.

>It doesn't divert funds from academia at all.

Then why do so many school dump millions of their own money into new athletic facilities and use professor's time to stick "student" athletes into classes that provide no education and have enrollment limited to student athletes?

Kids with the talent to make it in the NFL or NBA could better spend their time fully devoted to the sport by being on the payroll of a farm team. The NHL and MLB have well run farm teams that have produced many 18-21 year old superstars.
>>
>>960108
>Will this be good or bad for our future?

bad

Free college will quickly lead to employers requiring a degree much in the same way they require a H.S. diploma.
Free college only adds grades 13, 14, 15, 16, and turns A.S degrees into GEDs, and B.S./B.A degrees into H.S. equivalency diplomas.

not only that but this places a MASSIVE burden on the parents to care for the ADULT for another 4+ years. (because once free college is instituted, the next item up for bid is to continue to live like you are 14, as a dependent until you graduate)

not only that, but making AS degrees "free" will only lead to faggots demanding that BS degrees be free, then MA, then PHD, (with the removal of Thesis and dissertations because we all know your common nigger lacks the ability to write more than 1/2 a page)
>>
>>963815
I agree

Heck the bubble in regards to real estate happened because of

1. real estate brokers wanting to give EVERYONE a 500,000 $ house. with the desire of the government to reduce homelessness
2. the government subsidizing the real estate market by giving EVERYONE, even non-credit worthy borrowers, a fcking huge loan for MORTGAGES.
3. the people who accepts these loans are obviously uncapable of paying the loans after they've used all of their profits to pay the mortgage.
4. government starts to default on the debt, beings to subsidize their loses by borrowing money from the IMF.
5. A bank that is gaining from this ponzi scheme of sending out sub-prime loans suddenly calls up for bankruptcy. For once American government was unable to give out a bailout.
6.Bank fcking defaults, creating a credit freeze that those who accepted the housing loan relied on to pay the mortgages.
7. and people unable tap the bank for the loans that they relied on, suddenly defaults on their responsibility to pay their bills,
8. Items repossessed. People sad, more homeless now and even worse they are saddled with huge amounts of debt.

real similar to what's happening right now.
In regards to education due to government loans to students and subsidies to public and surprisingly private universities.
>>
>>963815
>Free college will quickly lead to employers requiring a degree much in the same way they require a H.S. diploma.
>Free college only adds grades 13, 14, 15, 16, and turns A.S degrees into GEDs, and B.S./B.A degrees into H.S. equivalency diplomas.
imblying it's not already that way...

I think Australia has done it right with our HECS program.
It's like a loan but doesn't cost you anything until you get a job. Plus no interest.
>>
>1%
>a little bit north of $250,000
Wut?
>>
>>964080

i still see people whining about HECS, as if 10% of your income matters for a stress-less education
>>
>>964080
So students gets loans after uni.
effectively leaving uni with a mortgage but without a house.
has to fulfill basic respondibilities after getting a job. ie food, shelter, transportation, clothing, etc
while being taxed to death because of HECS
can't even earn a decent net profit yet is still expected to pay the loans that they borrowed
Can't even apply for a mortgage without a substantial loan.
>>
IF they refuse to borrow, they'll not be able to buy a house until they balance their own books, Then and only then will they be able to start saving, seeing the median wages that degree holders have, I'll expect them to even START saving for a house in about 3-5 years after getting their job and just throwing their money away to loans and taxes,
>>
>>965274
and if they borrow money to start paying for a house, They'll have to expect a steady increase in debt due to the increase monetary responsibility.
>>
>>963507
>cnn is the least

what the fuck are you retarded

cnn is liberal as fuck
>>
>>964384
i no rite?
>>
I think we should go the opposite direction and stop wasting money by giving it to universities so they can fund worthless programs.

I have a male friend who took on $100k in student loan debt to go to a no-name private school for his last two years and a female friend who got a full ride to one of the best public schools in the country for four, but because my male friend studied database programming while my female friend studied English, he's making literally 5x more than she is right now and is debt-free.
>>
They're going to look like robots.
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.