[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this normal /biz/? I work at a call center as an ticketer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 5TKl8.jpg (540 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
5TKl8.jpg
540 KB, 1600x1200
Is this normal /biz/? I work at a call center as an ticketer for a bank but as a sort of contractor. So I don't actually work for the bank. Anyway this company that I work for does not offer any annual raises.

So they expect us to work for the same rate 11.50/h forever. Is this a normal business practice? Now I don't plan on making this my permanent job I'm just working while I finish college. I just wanted your expertise because this is the first job that I had which does not offer its workers raises. Even when I was working for a grocery store I received raises.
>>
I personally have never expected a raise. I've got a few, but ultimately I've found getting a new job allows you to get a much bigger raise.

Hoping for a boss to give you a raise is foolish. I would argue that given the tiny raises companies give out that is more a method of control, then compensation.
>>
>>957018
It's not normal, because that means you'll earn less every year due to inflation.

They clearly don't aim at keeping their workers. Considering most people don't do call center work forever I can also understand why.
>>
>>957018
No one reasonable works at a call center for a living. One of the worst careers.
>>
Completely typical in a contract role. Part of why the role is contract.
>>
>>957018
Why would you work at a call center long enough to get raises?
>>
>>957018
boopmp
>>
Call centers have a very high turnover OP. It's usually a shit job. However, in my area there are retention raises, probably because demand for labor is high due to several competing firms.

Where you are, there might not be much competition for that type of work at that level of pay. Why would a firm pay entry level works MORE than they need to retain X amount of employees at any given time to do Y amount of work?
>>
I work for the state of Arkansas, and because of ass backwards tea party shit, they stopped giving annual raises to all state employees. They are now wondering why nobody stays more than 5 years. lol
>>
Consider it motivation to get the fuck out of career. I worked 8 year sin a call centre and literally made nothing. Went to school for 8 months and now do home care and make ~3x as much. I'm always looking for something better though.
>>
None of what you are saying makes logical sense. Why would a company not want to keep its workers after spending thousands of dollars training and certifying each agent?
In these types of jobs or would be smarter to offer some sort of incentive to keep people rather than drive them away. I know call center is a crappy job but what about employees that have education that could become an asset.
>>
>>957942
>Why would a company not want to keep its workers after spending thousands of dollars training and certifying each agent?

Sure, if your call center requires those things. Most don't.
Notice in >>957770, I specified entry level. They're not spending thousands in training; nor are they certifying their employees for anything. They just need somewhat competent bodies to talk on the phone. They are quite literally disposable. If they weren't, in OP's specific situation, the firm in question would pay more per hour and offer incentives to decrease turnover. This is where I am assuming the employer is rational.

If your call center is for something like a brokerage, then yes. The employees there NEED certifications to LEGALLY interact with the customers regarding specific instances. Therefore a rational company would do exactly as you say, as long as the population of individuals seeking work with those specific qualifications is scarce.
>>
What's a 'sort of contract'? If you're in the US there are very definite lines between a 1099 contractor and an employee. I would investigate if they are blurring the lines a little too much and sue them if they are. That's your ticket to ride.
>>
>>957033
its basically like the new factory worker role for the 21st century
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.