[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about your job interview statistics /biz/. How many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Tell me about your job interview statistics /biz/.

How many interviews have you been to? How many did you get?
>>
>>921265

been to one interview

had four jobs
>>
>>921289
This.

Had one job since becoming an Engineer. No interviews.
>>
>>921265
Been to like 6-7
Made all of em except 2
>>
Well, let's see.

For part-time jobs when I was in school, I went to 3 interviews and got 2 of the jobs. For my college internship, I went to 2 and got 1.

When I graduated college, I had a really tough time getting interviews. Probably went to a dozen before I got a contract. Kind of hazy on that though. Had another contract after I was first from the first but not sure where the interviews get allocated.

1 more interview then a good job for several years.

Eventually I was looking to leave that job because of a long pay freeze. Thus began 2 years of wandering. I got 4 jobs and 3 contracts (2-1-1-2-1) but I remember at least 10 other interviews that didn't pan out.

And then finally my current job which I hope to stay at for awhile.

So I'm roughly 14 for 36 lifetime.

Anyway...what I learned about interviewing is that interviewers are almost always lying. They lie about the nature of the job and what they want from you. While I was unsure of myself out of school, there was no position in that 2 year period that I was not infinitely more qualified for than either the person they chose or the people I worked with.

So absolutely do not get yourself down if you're having trouble right now. Lie to clowns as much as you like until you find the right employer. Then, well, do whatever you can to keep that job tolerable. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
>>
>>921311

why do you choose the contract life? Is it really that much more lucrative for you? I've only really seen people rake in mad dosh when they take on multiple contracts parallely and subcontract or manage a development firm.
>>
6 interviews, 5 jobs. All minimum wage

Got fired from two same day hired, quit 1 after 2 monts
>>
>ITT: wagecucks who think they're hot shit
>>
>>921337

neets don't get to talk.
>>
>>921337

Nothing to do with that, I was just curious about the typical interview success rate.
>>
>>921346
Subway workers don't get to browse biz
>>
Interviewed with about 6 different companies straight out of college, got 1.
>>
Did about 6 phone interviews before getting accepted, but I'd never done interviews previously and didn't know how to appropriately present myself. By the end I just treated the interviews like casual conversations where we would bullshit about the industry, which turned out to be a good culture fit.
>>
7 jobs, 4 of which professional, never one interview.

>it's not what you know, it's who you know
>>
>>921318
I didn't really choose the contract life.

My first real job was a contract but I moved to full-time as soon as I could. I loved that job (it was government but I was free to be as productive as I could be), but after 6 years of frozen pay, it was leave or lose my house ( I tried everything, a part-time job, selling my posessions on eBay, just kept falling further behind). So then I had a job that paid $20K more but I worked under an idiot Hindu and hated it so I left. Unfortunately, I went to place that was criminally mismanaged and was fired a day before probation was up.

At that point, I had two short term jobs and employers get really skittish about that. The interview (well, actually two interviews) I was in suddenly went from full-time to contract-to-hire. But I was unemployed so I had to take it. And then they were criminally mismanaged and fired me for no reason 5 months in.

So then I was unemployed again and decided to go back to government. Unfortunately, some agencies like to do contract-to-hire. I made mistake and chose the higher-paying contract over the dumpy civil service job. And they were criminally mismanaged and fired me for a stupid reason 5 months in.

Now I'm back in civil service and trying to keep my head down long enough to make it through probation.

The problem has always been that A) IT is very heavily skewed towards contracts and B) alot of IT departments are criminally mismanaged. The last one I was fired from, the reason they gave was that I don't take direction. Well, you know what, when I finish my work, correctly, ahead of schedule, and everybody else stumbles through deadline after deadline, yeah, I might be a wee bit skeptical of any direction I'm given. That department loves to squander taxpayer dollars, not just on overpaid fuckups on payroll but additional contractors to cover for their constant failures.
>>
>>922016
>I made mistake and chose the higher-paying contract over the dumpy civil service job.

I really had a tough time with that decision too.

The CS job paid less, had dumpy facilities, and dragged its feet so that I forgot what the already-vague job description was. But it was union and I felt I needed protection.

The CTH job paid more, had ample resources, and offered before I made it back to the car. The non-union part worried me. But it was really the lies that fooled me.

See, I'd had 3 jobs where I had to deal with broken ERP software (Dynamics, SAP, etc) and they had 2 ERPs that stole their money. Sounded like we were on the same page. I literally said that ERPs were crippled garbage.

Imagine my surprise when I show up and they want me to write programs against a new ERP framework developed by a retarded Hindu. He had total disregard for the users, refused to acknowledge bugs, and clearly learned nothing from previous failures. His lead developer was no better, guessing her way through every problem. Ask her what 2 + 2 is and she would say 1, 2, 3, it's impossible.

Oh but the two of them always found time in their busy schedule of accomplishing fuck all to gang up on me for not following conflicting style rules. And the supervisor? Told me I'd share the blame no matter what I did if (more like when) the project failed.

So my advice would be, and you "that's raycis!1" folks out there can blow me, is avoid jobs where an Indian is in a position of authority. And I'm not too fond of female developers either. In college they cheat their way through the program and then they protect each other in the workplace.
>>
>>922026
An interview isn't just answering the employer's questions. You want to learn as much as possible about how and why they do what they do.

They have H1B-types on staff usually because they're cheap. That tells you they're, at best, less interested in quality, so they won't really value or reward you for doing better. If the H1Bs are actually more expensive, they'll target you for derailing the gravy train. Especially in government contracts. If you're honest, tread carefully.

Secondly, I think they do a good job of giving the appearance of hapless subservience. They will deliver a program that says 2+2=3. You reject it. You have to. They'll shake their heads and say yes alot and then run off kind of like if you fired a gun inside a barn full of farm animals. But then weeks later they'll deliver a program that says 2+2=5. They didn't really understand the requirements or the rejection but they sure knew how to look busy.

Also pay attention to the questions your interviewer won't answer.

For instance, one of my hangups is coding style. Every place I've worked at that was hung up over coding styles was a basket case. Contradictory, inflexible, selectively followed by their proponents, and _never_ apply to functionality. It's like fixating on your car being blue green or green blue but ignoring dash lights and never changing the oil. So I ask for a copy of the rules. If they balk, they're either A) paranoid and policy will be too or B) embarrassed but won't admit it.

If they're cagey about giving you a number for salary, say something a bit out there. Because A) they're almost certainly overpaying somebody you'll be working with/against and B) if they're really clueless, they'll blindly equate price with quality. And should this job, despite your best efforts, turn out to suck anyway, more money makes surviving the next search (if they force your hand and fire you) much less stressful.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.