[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biz, what should I major in, IT or CS? What are the pros and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: IT-Vs.-Computer-Science.jpg (195 KB, 1020x482) Image search: [Google]
IT-Vs.-Computer-Science.jpg
195 KB, 1020x482
Biz, what should I major in, IT or CS? What are the pros and cons of a career in each? I want to make big dick money
>>
>>1384862
No one is making big dick money in either.
If this were 2002 sure, but even if you could get hired you would be lucky to be making 30k starting.

All of IT is being outsources to India because we don't have enough people willing to work for below minimum wage.

Everyone and there mother has a CS degree so unless you have connections your not getting a job at all.

If you just care about money go study petroleum engineering.
>>
>>1384866
Petrol consumption is going to drop over the next fifty years so that sounds like bad advice. There are plenty of decent employment opportunities in both in my county (New Zealand), so fuck you
>>
>>1384870
Op did not say what cunt he's from. I'm telling you how it is in the US.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney-technology-h1b-20150617-story.html
>>
Double major in math and CS for big money. Learn to program as well as learning theory.
>>
>>1384866
me study information systems. me get job when graduate make 80k per year. me not finish university yet. me creme a la creme though. you are loser.
>>
>>1384862
Major in networking OP, it's the only field that can't be outsourced.

I've just dropped out of an ICT degree in Australia. I already have 2 years of experience and a Cert4 (lesser degree/diploma) in IT Networking and there's plenty of jobs for even my level. Experience and ability to communicate and not be an autist is more important for business side of IT. Don't do programming.

Entry level $45k but a network manager makes anywhere above $80k
>>
>>1384866
I hate to say it but CS is where you learn skills but IT is where you make money.

There is just no market for people with CS skills. No organization will pay you $75K to do it right the first time when they can experience the joy of paying Pajeet $40K to do it wrong, then Lakshmee $40K to do it wrong again, then Rajesh $40K to do it wrong again, then Kushboo $40 to do it wrong again, then Priya $40K to do it wrong again, and so on.

Meanwhile, the guy with the IT degree makes $120K as a project manager managing these poos and not knowing a single solitary fact about what they're actually doing.
>>
>>1385041
what he said - the amount on indentured knowledge I've seen leave major places coz offshoring m'kay - when what we're doing is just paying the same bill out of a different pot for a worse service is

just

fukkin

scary

if I'm honest mate, screw the degree, start by loading tapes and cleaning printers on the late shift, teach yourself python and continually ask your bosses 'anything I can do for you ?'

the best qualification you can ever have is being that guy/bal who kept their boss's boss off their boss's back.

46, no degree, 20ish years experience, low 6 figures

best of luck
>>
>>1385041
Interesting. Do you or any other anons know about the direction of a career in IT? Ie could I end up as an CTO in my later career?
>>
>>1384897
MIS is the way to go. You'll make the big bucks and everyone wants you
>>
i changed from cs to electronic engineering and im having fun :)))
>>
File: ffffffffffffff.jpg (6 KB, 126x123) Image search: [Google]
ffffffffffffff.jpg
6 KB, 126x123
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary/1fa00410/Los-Angeles-CA

so this is a lie?

I'm already a year into fucking computer science and 15k in debt is it even worth it to switch at this point
>>
Networking is a good field to get into, but you need a dickload of certs in addition to a bachelors to start making real money.
>>
>>1385041
Dont listen to this retard. Get a CS degree and take IT classes for electives. CS is an umbrella degree and is actaully semi hard to complete. IT is for niggers to learn power point.
>>
>>1384876
that's what i did. currently making 145k. notbad.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.