[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is going to university in the US as an international student
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (33 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
33 KB, 400x398
Is going to university in the US as an international student worth it?

I'm Canadian and I've been offered a funded PhD in burgerstan
>>
>>1380703
When is a PhD ever financially worth it?
>>
>>1380703
YES
The only reason not to would be because of cost issues, but since that doesn't apply to you, there's no reason you shouldn't.
>>
>>1380704

Never. Do not fall for the PhD meme. I'm a retarded autist.

>>1380707
Theoretically though I can get into any university I want here in Canada
>>
>>1380714
What school in America? And what field?
>>
>>1380723
Physics. Within the top ~15 universities in the US. Not ivy league.

Not much higher ranking than my opportunities in mapleniggerland
>>
>>1380726
If the school is literally paying your PhD expenses, I don't see why not.

I would imagine your job opportunities would be much better in the US, especially if you ever want to go the quant route.
>>
>>1380729
>If the school is literally paying your PhD expenses, I don't see why not

Because he could be doing better things with his time?
>>
>>1380731
He said >>1380714 that he already fell for the PhD meme.

So given a choice between a fully funded ride at a top 15 US university and a PhD in Canada, I'd say go burger.
>>
>>1380729
I would need a work visa to work in burgerstan though.

I imagine that it's pretty unlikely that I'll bypass all the regulatory barriers between me and American employment
>>
>>1380733
Canada would be fully funded as well.
>>
A PhD is never worth the time from a financial standpoint.
>>
>>1380740
Yes I'm a retarded sperg. Glad we cleared that up.
>>
>>1380751
Try r9k
>>
>>1380738
If you don't have confidence in yourself you should just remain a neet, but if you have any willpower whatsoever you should take the offer.

>>1380736
If they are offering, then that means that they are offering support in going through that process.
>>
>>1380703
>Is going to university in the US as an international student worth it?

Since it is already funded I don't see why not. But really a PhD doesn't mean anything much unless you are doing some high theory level shit in STEM after you get out.

I got the hell out of dodge when I found out nuclear engineering isn't what it is cracked up to be. Following a hobby or making money out of something you love is far more rewarding in the long run rather than going for a PhD that might not land you anything. Right now investing and graphics is what I do and I do it well enough to support my ass and parents. Best decision of my life to not go full force into the college memes. (although did end up getting an associate cause i was 2 years in by the time i got out)
>>
>>1380758
I don't think you understand what a work visa is.

Also you made some baseless and incorrect inferences about my character in this post
>>
>>1380736
I believe a PhD in physics would allow you to qualify for an EB2 or whatever skilled worker visa you'd need.

>>1380738
In that case, pick based on whether you want to stay near home or try somewhere new.

Neither choice is a bad one so there's no point stressing too much about what-ifs.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.