[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
chart thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1465157035030.jpg (955 KB, 1345x1450) Image search: [Google]
1465157035030.jpg
955 KB, 1345x1450
So someone posted this in a /lit/ thread and some biz-anon called it out as being primarily shite. Can you guys recommend some books on Finance/Business/Cashdollars.
>>
>>1377603
not OP but can someone recommend a good book on Money Supply and macroeconomics
>>
>>1377603
Yeah, I'm also interested in this. Any experienced readers? I'm currently reading the Millionaire Fastlane and it's pretty good.
>>
File: 1447415983270.jpg (425 KB, 1939x1384) Image search: [Google]
1447415983270.jpg
425 KB, 1939x1384
So checking the archive, it looks like general consensus is that Benjamin Graham's two books (first two on OP's chart) are heavily recommended as well as the rest included in this (besides Babylon, which is too basic to be helpful).
A better resource to start from for vocabulary and the basics is investopedia.com
As well as Peter Lynch's stuff (one up/beating the street) Bogleheads, and Millionaire Next Door.
But then there's this interview: http://www.bylo.org/bgraham76.html
In which Graham says that his books are outdated.
Index funds and try
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_recommendations_and_reviews
>>
>>1377603

I'm currently reading "Hedge Fund Market wizards". It's really good highly recommend it.
>>
>>1377784
>besides Babylon, which is too basic to be helpful
I dont get the hate for this book. yeah its basic but for people just starting out who know nothing its good to get people in the right mindset.

honestly op people on /biz/ say its a sshit book for just about every book that isn tthe one they read themselves. seeing as how most people on /biz/ dont actually read anything but /biz/ thats a lot of books. They are just memesters trying to fit in to 4chan culture.
>>
>>1377603

one of my favorites is "Money for Nothing: How the Failure of Corporate Boards Is Ruining American Business and Costing Us Trillions" by John Gillespie. (i've also seen it titled "In Bad Faith: Collusion Between CEOs and Corporate Boards and How It's Cheating Shareholders and Ruining American Business") - it's an absolutely fantastic book.

a similar book about mutual funds is "The Investor's Dillemma (How Mutual Funds Are Betraying Your Trust And What To Do About It)" by Louis Lowenstein.

distressed investing:
"The Vulture Investors" by Hilary Rosenberg is dated, but interesting.

"Distressed Debt Analysis" by Stephen Moyer

Risk stuff:
"A Demon of Our Design" by Richard Bookstaber

"Plight of the Fortune Tellers" by Ricardo Rebonato

"Red Blooded Risk" by Aaron Brown

History:
John Brooks was a New Yorker writer in the 50s/60s/70s - he wrote a few books that are really good - "The Go-Go Years" and "Business Adventures" (Bill Gates called that one his favorite business book). it's interesting to see what has/hasn't changed.

"America's Bank" by Roger Lowenstein. it's the most recent book by the guy who wrote "When Genius Failed" etc.

"Empire of Deception" by Dean Jobb - about a really early ponzi scheme

other stuff:
"Red Notice" by Bill Browder - the founder of Hermitage. interesting story of how he got started buying up super cheap shares, and how he got on putin's shit list.

"Bad Paper: Chasing Debt from Wall Street to the Underworld" by Jake Halpern
"Capital Account" - it's just a collection of letters from Marathon, but it's interesting.
Marathon as a firm is totally dysfunctional, but the way they think about the world is solid.

"The Art of Value Investing" is chopped up interviews with some good portfolio managers
>>
>>1377603

This is the shitty nu-/biz/ version

Do yourself a favor and delete it.

>Intelligent Investor
>Fooled by Randomness
>Talent is overrated
>Black Swan
>Millionaire Fastlane
>Enough (Bogle)
>Bogleheads Guide to Investing
>Millionaire Next Door
>Random Walk Down Wallstreet
>Anything in the "For Dummies" series related to money/finance.

The rest of it is pseudo intellectual garbage and self help circle jerking. If you read one of those kind of books, then you've read them all.
>>
Bump, these threads are always helpful
>>
Is there a textbook or something that is just a straight explanation of how business and/or investing works?

For people at the lowest level of knowledge for this stuff. A book that explains stuff like market cap, gross/net sales, stock trading, etc.

Is a for dummies book what I'm looking for, or am I resigned to browsing investopedia?
>>
Bump assholes
>>
>>1378684
Bump

Someone help me
>>
>>1378684
>>1378726
buy low
sell high
kid
>>
>no long short story
>no diary of a very bad year
Meme list
>>
>>1378684
"Wall Street Journal Guide to Money and Investing"

You're welcome, rookie.
>>
>>1378684
http://web.gccaz.edu/~bbyoung/Economics%20211%20Fall%202011/The%20Economist%20-%20Guide%20to%20the%20Financial%20Markets.pdf

https://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/begfinstmtguide.htm
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.