[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to travel but it will really hurt my career if I take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: .jpg (182 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
182 KB, 900x900
I want to travel but it will really hurt my career if I take months off. Do I just wait until i'm older is it ever worth putting your career aside to travel ?
>>
Each profession has something called a half-life (not quite the same as half-life of knowledge, but it's a similar concept).

For example, phyics has a half life of four years. Meaning if you were to take four years off, your value to an employer would half and so would your salary.

Business get a lot more generous half-life. You could take five years off and still pretty much demand the same salary.

It depends what you do.
>>
>>1376193
Wrong. Unless you earn crap money, corporations will not accept anything over 4 months without a 50-100k paycut if you're on 300-400k.
>>
>>1376193
>>1376236
both of you are retarded.
>>
Personally I find traveling an incredibly meaningless endeavor unless done for business purposes. What are you going to do OP, "find yourself" or some other bullshit?
>>
>>1376242
nah just bored and want to see some things
>>
>>1376241
Like you would know shit, I pay more taxes than you earn, loser.
Explain to me all the knowledge you got from your americunt college debt.
>>
I travelled for an entire year right after graduation. I did it so that I could write a few things off my bucket list. There were very few moments of self reflection or self discovery, like what that one fag mentioned.

To be sure, travelling is the worst thing a recent grad could do. I'm sure it's the same for somebody well into their career. The company needs their negroes in the cotton field. One negro out of the field is one negro not working and meeting the company's bottom line.
>>
>>1376242
This so much. Travelling is the worst fucking meme.
>>
>>1376189
what is your career good for if not to allow you to live the life you want?

Ask your boss if you can work remotely for a while. If you're valuable to the company they need to keep you happy, if you're not how likely are you to get promoted anyway?

And ignore the haters. Exploration has been proven to increase learning and idea synthesis. It can be done with skills alone, but human memory is primarily spatial, so novel environments turbocharge exploration in a way teaching yourself guitar won't.
>>
Learn a valuable skill. Get some experience. Become a contractor.

Then you can travel whenever you want, because you're self employed.
>>
>>1376189

What career would that be ? If business related you can find some ways to turn it into an advantage; learning a new language, networking, prospection etc

I took a year off to go to Brazil/South America, came back fluent in spanish and with a good level in Portuguese.
>>
>company invests years in you
>you just walk off the job for tumblrcore muh travel that you will be sick of in a month
>>
>>1376406

Yeah you owe them, don't do something you wanna do, that company owns your ass now. Fucking cuck
>>
>>1376242

it is a meme, but it's also a form of disruption if done correctly.

when you deviate from the mundane and the routine of your everyday life, you see the world differently/generate new ideas. it's like starting a new hobby, or taking a drug.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.