[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shkreli investing in Magic: The Gathering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 20160708-Shkreli-MTG.jpg (95 KB, 800x445) Image search: [Google]
20160708-Shkreli-MTG.jpg
95 KB, 800x445
Apparently MTG investing/speculating is a thing??? I played back in the mid-late 90's. Apparently, there's now a Reserved List of cards that will never, ever be reprinted. Some guy bought out every copy of a card on this list (called Moat) for around $300 each and the price has doubled since.

I'm considering dropping $10k-$20k on graded cards. It is less than 1% of my funds so it's not a huge deal if I lose it all. I'm thinking maybe 1 each of reserved card that is similar to Moat (early set, non-core, not reprinted). Here's my initial list:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards?filter-reserved=1&filter-price-min=100&filter-set=16&filter-set=61&filter-set=13&filter-set=7&filter-set=6&filter-set=11&filter-set=15&filter-set=9&filter-set=10&sort=price&display=1

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale Rare Legends $1,499.00
Library of Alexandria Uncommon Arabian Nights $1,050.00
Mishra's Workshop Rare Antiquities $999.95
Bazaar of Baghdad Uncommon Arabian Nights $763.18
Moat Rare Legends $649.99
Candelabra of Tawnos Rare Antiquities $411.66
Chains of Mephistopheles Rare Legends $352.86
Nether Void Rare Legends $272.50
The Abyss Rare Legends $241.67
Diamond Valley Uncommon Arabian Nights $192.37
Eureka Rare Legends $183.73
Guardian Beast Rare Arabian Nights $138.73
Mirror Universe Rare Legends $137.21
Island of Wak-Wak Rare Arabian Nights $132.49
Invoke Prejudice Rare Legends $103.38
Drop of Honey Rare Arabian Nights $100.00

Again, I haven't played Magic since the 90s so maybe this is dumb as fuck. Thoughts?

Research:

>Martin Shkreli vs. Magic The Gathering .....Shit just got REAL....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fqEouMTb0

>Conversation with CNBC muckraker Dan Mangan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl79yd5sDNo

>Craig Berry: Moat and Lion's Eye Diamond Buyout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-KVHQzKCL4
>>
>>1375038
you have 1-2m and you're thinking about investing in mtg

ok.
>>
>>1375391

Yea, so? To be exact: 1.2m excluding house.
>>
liquidity is going to be a bitch if you don't get out in liquidity events. (release parties and such)

i would do it more for the adventure than the money itself. you could make money, but it's not about that.
>>
>>1375038

I got lucky with some dual-lands and a Tara's Cradle but I wouldn't make a career of it.
>>
>>1375038
there are better investments than magic cards.
>>
I made enough money as a young college kid trading mtg for profit to feed my liquor and smoke habits. I wouldn't get back into it. There is only ever increasing threat of counterfeits from China and elsewhere, and liquidity can be a real issue, especially with the old expensive cards.

It can be a good investment but I'd only get back into it if I were actively involved in the community.
>>
Eh honestly it could generate a good return since shkreli moved in however it's just a card game, there isn't always a buyer for super rare cards.
>>
>>1375038
You are at the mercy of a single company who printed these cards and though i don't believe they will ever reprint those on the reserve list, there are other ways they can fuck with the card price.
>>
>>1375038
If this keeps going on Wotc will remove rest of the reserved list. They won't do same mistake as they did with chronicles (eternal masters/modern masters are good example).
>>
>investing
>magic
are u serious?
>>
>>1375038
You've already missed the boat on like half of those cards, which have jumped considerably in the last six months. Congrats on being the guy holding the bag when this bubble pops.
>>
i dont see a single flaw with this idea
>>
>>1375038

I don't see how this is that much different (though admittedly far more risky) from investing in works of art, which is a thriving market, despite the subjective nature of the investment.

At least in principle, it seems like a reasonable strategy, though other posters are right to point out liquidity concerns. I would never do it - I'd rather hang something in my wall - but to each their own.
>>
I think it's dumb. It's incredibly risky when there's way less niche markets to make money in.
>>
>>1376266

Or Shkreli getting involved will get other rich fucks into MTG and we are only at the beginning of a bubble?

Magic is only 30 years old. One of the 1,100 Black Lotus printed could be Superman #1, a Honus Wager card, or an Inverted Jenny stamp, and be worth millions some day. Or worthless. Who knows. Martin owns 7 of them.
>>
Are you retarded OP? It's 2016, you should be investing in crypto
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.