[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Investing in index tracker fund
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
I want to invest in an index fracker fund but I don't have enough to go for Vanguard or most of the big ones as they require around £100000 - I'm in the UK if that makes a difference?

I have an account with an online stockbroker, is investing into an S & P 500 ETF through them my best way of getting an index tracker fund.

I don't want spoon feeding and I don't need a debate about ETFs and their benefits or disadvantages compared to other types of investment, just my best way to invest in an index tracker.
>>
>>1371400

>CERU to the moon
>>
File: money-equals-power1.jpg (182 KB, 653x330) Image search: [Google]
money-equals-power1.jpg
182 KB, 653x330
>>1371407
le bump
>>
>>1371400
>hl.co.UK account
>open ISA
>buy tracker funds
>>
>>1371400
>£100000
Did the fucking pound hyper inflate the past week?
Its 10k.
>>
If you go through an online platform like halifax sharedealing or similar, you can bypass the minimum investment.
>>
>>1371400
>they require around £100000
That's either a typo or you're a massive troll.

On the slim chance that you're legitimately interested in actual information:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/UK_investing
>>
File: 1456100114528.jpg (506 KB, 2048x1129) Image search: [Google]
1456100114528.jpg
506 KB, 2048x1129
>>1371788
>>1371764
Ok, it seems I was looking at the Vanguard Mutual funds, which do have a £100,000 minimum. Sorry I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this.

>On the slim chance that you're legitimately interested in actual information:

>https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/UK_investing
Thanks, I will read this to try and help get some better knowledge on the subject.

>>1371721
>>1371784
Thanks guys, I am thinking about putting £1,000 in an S&P 500 ETF in a stocks and shares ISA. I have approx another £4000 sat in a normal ISA (tax free savings account), don't have that much in savings as just bought a house.

What do you think about this? I will read the link given before deciding but this is what I am leaning towards after a bit of reasearch. Will probably go with the S&P 500 ETF though...

Was thinking about getting Stocks and Shares ISA through Nationwide, as I'm with them already...
>>
>>1371788
Thanks mate, I've just read the bogleheads guide, I had skimmed it before. This is where I got the £100,000 limit from as a lot of the funds listed on that page have that amount as the minimum buy in from what I can tell, for example the Vanguard LifeStrategy funds.

I notice it has the following advice for a young investor (which I assume would cover me at 29?):

Domestic Stocks 30%
World Stocks 50%
Intermediate Term Bonds 20%

Based on this I may get invest 30% of the £1000 in an ETF tracking the FTSE 250

50% in an S&P 500 ETF and 20% in a UK government bonds ETF
?
>>
>>1371407

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP POSTING THIS??

It doesn't seem to be headed anywhere.
>>
>>1371854
Bump - what u think about this diversification plan?
>>
>>1371721
I have opened a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown now with £1000.00 in it.

I was going to open one with Nationwide but I looked into it and they don't give you many options for where to invest your money, i.e. you have to use their funds.

So now I just have to look into the funds and decide which ones is the best...there's a lot of choice and it's quite confusing desu.
>>
File: 1458680648822.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1458680648822.gif
607 KB, 800x792
>>1372503
one thing I've noticed though, while looking on the list available of funds on Hargreaves Lansdown is that I cannot find the S&P 500 fund for HSBC or for Vanguard, are certain funds just not available through HL? Although I see the LifeStrategy funds are available so not sure why it said £100,000 buy in on Vanguard's site?
>>
>>1372515
Yes, there are some funds they don't have. Perhaps consider some of the Legal & General tracker funds? I have a couple of these are they track well plus usually have lower fees than Vanguard.

You can buy into these so cheap because HL buys into these funds in bulk. There are some funds that are meant for institutional investors (usually Class I ones) only and require e.g. £100k investment but you can buy them at £100 a go or £25 per month.
>>
Please remember that brokers like Hargreaves, which charge a percentage based fee (like 0.3% every year) are only good for smaller ISA balaces. Once you go over 20k, you should switch to something which charges a flat fee.
>>
>>1372415
Or you could just buy lifestrategy 80 and forget about it. Or you could buy a single world index fund. Having multiple holdings will hurt you more if you have a small amount of money, as trading fees and eventual exit fees when you switch to a different provider are actually significant.
Say a broker charges 25 quid per holding for switching to a different ISA provider. If you have 1000 invested in a bond fund, you will instantly lose like 2.5%, which might be a whole years worth of return.
>>
>>1371400
Those limits are for institutional investors, who normally get a lower expense ratio. If you're a retail investor, investing through a broker then there isn't normally a (lower) limit on how much you can invest.

I used to put £50 a month in Vanguard funds using Charles Stanley.
>>
>>1371400
>that picture
God I wish I had a gf
>>
File: image.png (434 KB, 2364x3157) Image search: [Google]
image.png
434 KB, 2364x3157
>>1372538
>>1372540
Thanks mate that's actually good advice. I don't expect I will have £20,000 in there for quite a while but I will bear that in mind. I will probably go for one of the lifestrategy funds although it doesn't seem as 'fun' as choosing myself you are right it will probably save me money for the small amount I am investing.

>>1372555
>Those limits are for institutional investors, who normally get a lower expense ratio. If you're a retail investor, investing through a broker then there isn't normally a (lower) limit on how much you can invest

Ah thanks, that makes sense, I was wondering about that, only question is why they don't offer s&p funds at hl or is that just me being dumb?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.