[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>Economics Degree >>Masters in Finance or >>Graduate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: download (1).png (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
10 KB, 225x225
>>Economics Degree
>>Masters in Finance
or
>>Graduate with an Economics and a Finance Degree
>>
>>1370626
Give us some information on your work history/current job if you have one.
Are you able to get a job relatively easy?
Then tell us your goals and we will tell you our uninformed opinion about what is best for your life that we have no idea about
>>
>>1370633
>>About to start college
>>Have contacts in the finance industry that can help me get internships with relative ease
>>Not much job experience
I just wanted to know which one would look better on a future resume
>>
>>1370648
i'd say do finance but keep in mind that there's a at least 50% chance you will end up not wanting to do finance ever again after your first job experience there.
>>
>>1370660
w-whys that anon?
>>
>>1370648

And you figured, lets asks the chinese cartoon image board I frequent, instead of my contacts in the finance industry!
>>
>>1370626

My personal path - undergraduate degrees in Finance and Economics. Graduate degree in Mathematics (thesis in Game Theory).

Recruited by big banks - had offers from Deutsche, TD, and Merrill. Did not want to work 100+ hour weeks. Took job with private 15-year old data analysis firm. Make 120k, have stock options, never in before 7:30, always home by 6. AMA.

Finance can be a revolting field which promise immense wealth, but chews people up and spits them out without a shred of compassion. Want to be a shell of a person at 27 with zero will to live? Head to Wall St.
>>
>>1370934
>"dude, do what I do at my company, it would be perfect for whatever the hell you do and I'd get a sweet referal bonus"
>"don't listen to him, I need that... Um, the company totally needs a guy like you working for us."
>>
>>1370939
>ama
Did you go to any big name?
Community College for Undergrad?
Do the big name unis really matter enough to be the deciding factor between hired and not?
>>
>>1370945

Is the London School of Economics big name?

The brand on your diploma gets you in the door. Firms have relationships with these schools, and they know their admissions criteria. That serves as sort of a vetting criteria for the big banks.
>>
>>1370660
Yeah, if it's your first job experience. Then you go do something like flipping burgers or other low tier work and suffer every day as your autistic peasant coworkers make drama when none should exist while getting paid half.

Retirement/money is the only way to freedom.
>>
For the other anons reading
>>1370950
This is definitely true for IB's and other high finance while you are fresh from uni.

>>1370945
Don't be discouraged if you go to a not so good uni, there are plenty of non-IB roles.

This is archived, but, hopefully you can still see

>>1369026

If you can't the point is that you can get good 9-5 jobs work your way up the chain at mid tier finance places, accounting places etc and be upper class by the time you are going to have a mid life crisis. I know it's not as glamorous as raking in 120k graduating + bonus, but, still, you will be way better than most people.

>>1370648
Won't matter. The firm will train you. If you truly have connections, experience trumps degree anyday unless MIT Math PhD, try and get in as soon as possible and make yourself very useful to the firm and they will teach you whatever.
>>
>>1370904
In a polite way, I'd say finance is a world different from the rest. I know so many people who started fresh in finance and were hating their empty, meaningless jobs not even 6 months in.

>>1370939
Whats the firm you went to ?
>>
>>1370934
Op here, most of the people I know in the industry recommemd economics first and then the masters because of how economics gives a much broader view and will allow a much deeper underdstanding of finance
>>
File: 1451074623606.jpg (9 KB, 164x153) Image search: [Google]
1451074623606.jpg
9 KB, 164x153
>>1370950
>mfw entrance requirements for LSE were easier than in my school that's less known abroad
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.