[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who buys in-the-money options on the maturity date?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: CmjIqPYUsAAtmhA.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CmjIqPYUsAAtmhA.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
If you buy a put or a call which is out-of-the-money and then an earnings release suddenly rockets it deep in-the-money, who the hell is buying the option when you sell it?

How is buying an ITM option on the maturity date a good idea? It'd be less expensive to just buy the underlying security at the current market rate, though you're not guaranteed to be able to buy the same amount as the option would guarantee.
>>
typically you will see little volume so you would exercise it or sell in advance
>>
Institutional traders on the wrong side of the trade covering their position. They could have been using options to protect a large stock position, the options did their job and now they're covering and repositioning using the new earnings information.
>>
>>1366396
You just gave me a interesting idea, OP.

Provided you have some knowledge of a sector or industry and are waiting for financial or earnings report, wouldn't be profitable to bet on about 5 different companies (either long or short) using options? Provided you're not wrong more than half the times when you're making that bet, I assume the times you stand to lose are more than covered by the right choices, no?
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.