[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Radio SIlence from Potential Employer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132 KB, 1920x1080
First post on /biz/.

On May 6th of this year I introduced myself to the supervisor of the a technician team for a local broadband company. I handed him my resume, described how my skill set might not be congruent to what they want but that I am trainable and in it for the long haul. About a week and a half later he called me to come in for a preliminary interview. It went well.

Since then, roughly every week we kept some sort of communication line open. It seemed like I was making progress at a predictable pace. Eventually there was an interview with the VP of the company, which the supervisor said went well. Then when the supervisor had me come in to fill out a proper job app he gave me a tour of the facility, explained how he was in my shoes when he first began (zero cable tech skills), and told me of a pilot program aimed at training complete noobies in the cable field. I felt as if I was a shoe in and couldn't wait to get started.

Then, roughly two weeks ago, I initiated the background check and drug test procedures. Some background info: I did smoke weed prior to attempting to get hired, but as of the date of the drug test I was clean for a month. As far as red flags in the background check, the only thing I could imagine coming up is my student loan debt (roughly 10k), and maybe my Oberma care fines. A week after I took the drug test, I decided to text the supervisor to try and get an update. Nothing. Two weeks later, I do the same. Radio silence.

This is definitely different. Before, even if I wasn't coming into the branch every week, we would at least touch bases via call or text. I would be persistent in reminding him I existed and he didn't seem to mind confirming that I was still in the mix. Now the supervisor is not calling me back, or even sending a text. Admittedly this is the most formal hiring process I have been involved with, so I'm not use to the specifics of it.

cont...
>>
A few questions:
1) Is it normal for the company to stay quiet as they complete these final procedures?
2) If I failed the background check or drug test, would they not let me know? Might they be personally offended by my failure and feel as if they didn't owe me an explicit denial of employment?
3) What kind of debt situations would be a red flag to employers?

If you can think of any questions to ask me that seem relevant, please do so. Thanks.
>>
>>1365523
>>1365524
They obviously don't want you anymore, dumb fuck. They would have made it very clear if they wanted you.
>>
>>1365551
Is it normal for an employer to just ignore a former candidate like that, especially when there was 2 months of decent rapport beforehand? Why couldn't they just call me and say they don't need me?
>>
>>1365559
Welcome to jobhunting. Is this your first time trying to get work?
>>
>>1365559
It is. Why would they bother calling you back? You failed a fucking drug test. They don't have to do shit for you.
>>
I don't think student loan debt would be a problem. Do you know what your credit score is?

The higher-ups may have decided that there are no openings right now.
>>
>>1365564
No, it's just that all my other work came about from employers who openly expressed wanting me on their team. Sometime there would be a background check sometimes not, but I was basically hired on the spot for these jobs.
>>
>>1365566
Calm down.

>>1365567
I actually haven't actually checked my credit score ever. Never had a credit card or needed a loan that required a credit score.
>>
>>1365573
I haven't actually*
>>
>>1365573
>Calm down.

Get used to not being owed anything.
>>
>>1365576
I don't feel entitled. Here, though, it seems logical he would extend a simple "Sorry, guy. We can't hire you because of xxx."
>>
>>1365586
Especially given our rapport beforehand.
>>
Go in again and be like "Yo, bitch! ...what?" and hold your arms out, hands up.
>>
>>1365605
Alright. So I should just move on and take another crack somewhere else?
>>
>>1365523
NO FIRM HANDSHAKE
>>
>>1365664
Firm handshake for sure.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.