[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know where else to post this, but I can't fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
I don't know where else to post this, but I can't fucking decide and im losing my mind.

I finished High school last month and because of that, time for College but uh, I honestly have no clue on what to major in or anything of the sorts,
What would be the best Money:Happiness ratio?
>>
Economics if you are good at math. Finance if not. Computer engineering and such can also get you a good gig in banking, just don't be an engineering wageslave.
>>
Oh and quality of school matters. Don't do business if you go to a shit tier school or you'll be doomed to a life as office drone paid shit. Do engineering if not top 50 or so university.
>>
>>1363206
Would you say UMD is any good?
>>
>>1363216
I live on the other side of the country and have heard of it multiple times, so it's probably more than reputable enough especially for a state university. The Econ and business programs both seem very good if you decide to go that route. You have time to decide though, just take some intro courses to get a feel for what you like and are good at. Just don't over commit to a certain engineering program or pre med courses. keep a good GPA so you don't close any doors. Relax man you'll do well as long as you take it seriously. take some intro classes and reassess the majors after the semester. A lot of people don't know what they want to major in for all of freshman year.
>>
>>1363153
Get a full-time job for your first year outside of high school. If you enjoy it, keep going. If you want to be something 'bigger' than that, consider what exactly and find out how to become that.

Why the fuck go to college and take on student debt for shit you're not even remotely interested in?

Jesus fuck.
>>
>>1363327
then just out of curiosity, what is your profession at the moment, age? yearly income? Just if I do go that way
>>
>>1363337
Not him but same route, job straight out of high school.
22 now been here for 3.5 years
Salary each year went,
$22K
$30K
$75K
And starting this financial year $85K

I'm a telecommunications technician working on enterprise services links for data centres
great job, comes with phone+plan, car, computer and anything else I need.
Currently working in a leadership succession program where the end result will be moving into management roles as they come up.

Don't ge to college unless you know what you want to do, and college is the way to get it. You'll just end up with huge debt and just as much idea what to do with your life as you started.
>>
>>1363357
>30k
>75k

A 45k increase sounds veeeeeeeeeeeeery unrealistic bro.
>>
>>1363153
fuck school. Get into residential construction, bro. Hang out with your buddies all day building sweet houses and joking around. Save a bunch of money with no debt. Then, once you know what you're doing, go buy your own fixer upper and flip it for a yuge profit
>>
>>1363216
There's nothing wrong with trades, but if you can do well in college, especially one like UMD, then definitely go for it. Trades should really only be used as an option when your HS GPA is a 2.5 and you're stuck going to a shitty liberal arts school because then you'll be stuck as an office drone and it won't be worth it. I know it sounds enticing to just go straight into trades because of posts like >>1363357 but they're clearly bullshitting, and there are a lot of jealous tradies and /r9k/ neets who failed at college who say college is just a meme on here, and again while it is in some cases, it most definitely is not in your case, and don't let them convince you otherwise.
>>
>>1363424
>>1363416
>>1363430
>>1363357
>>1363327
>>1363316
>>1363206
Honestly I came in here thinking psychology or something, but now I came here thinking I'm gonna go on a crime spree and blow my brains out at 24, thanks!

No but seriously economics sound good, if I wasn't such a pasty fuck boy then I probably would go trades as my dad managed to live < 1hr away from DC as a elevator constructor with 3 kids and a wife but yeah thanks /biz/
>>
>>1363416
First two years was probationary training period.
Third year on $75K was first year of full, permanent employment.
>>
>>1363821
You delusional retard. I wish IDs were global so I could make sure nobody ever listens to anything you have to say again.
>>
>>1363153
>I honestly have no clue on what to major in
sounds like a unique problem
>>
>>1363216
I go to umd. Classes are good. Great price if you are instate.
>>
>>1363153
Take some time off between HS and college. Try and shadow as many professionals/ go on informational interviews as possible. Work while you do this and save some cash. You can try apprenticing in a trade while you do this, which will REALLY make you want to go to college.

Try and have a solid idea of what you wanna do before you go in so you don't amass a ton of debt and graduate clueless as fuck
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.