[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If it would cost the government less to build housing for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
If it would cost the government less to build housing for the homeless instead of just letting them live on the streets (even when you account the homeless migrating), should it be done?
>>
>>1361133
Homelessness in the US is not caused by lack of housing, anon.
>>
>>1361133
Give them a house
>They rip out everything not welded to the floor
>Copper wires gone
>Turns into a crack den
>Crime in the area worsens
>Houses lose value
>Angry neighborhood
>House eventually burns down in meth explosion

Homeless people aren't down-on-their-luck joes. They have mental and/or addiction problems.
>>
>>1361135
Maybe "build" wasn't the best word. What I meant was "provide". That can include purchasing and repurposing existing housing.
>>
>>1361142
This.

While there are homeless people that are sane and just down on their luck, you're playing a dangerous game assuming all of them are like that.
>>
http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

Not sure how well this would work on a bigger scale but I read somewhere else this also increased the value of houses in the surrounding areas.
>>
Rather than perfectly good housing, why don't we use the current government option? It's secure, plus they're given food, exercise equipment, and open/green space.

I refer, of course, to prison.
>>
>>1361135
True. Capitalists feed on misery and simply withhold excess housing in order to satisfy their unending hunger.
>>
>>1361189
Most prisons are run by private companies not the government and cost a lot more to house 1 inmate than to give a few one house to share most likely.
>>
>>1361189
Great, except many of those "government" prisons are private. So then it's a question of who government gives to, a dependant who knows he's dependent (homeless guy) or a dependant who thinks he's self made and brags about it (prison guy). At least one of them is honest and it sure isn't the prison clown.
>>
It's a dumb idea op, and too expensive. Everyone would also quit their jobs if you started giving homeless people free condos.
But leaving the homeless to wander about urban centers is also retarded. They should be bussed out to tent cities in remote locations. Have them work for food and a small cash allowance doing farming, litter removal, road construction, etc.
>>
>>1361133
implying cost is a factor in the richest country to have ever existed.

I have had acquaintances who were homeless who were not degenerates. less than 30 days and they were off the streets with a job and a lease.

Homelessness is a massive burden on the system and if more people had stability in their lives that'd do a world of good. but you're still treating a symptom not a cause.
>>
>>1361421
Your time on this library computer is up.
>>
>>1361133
>>1361156
Do you know how many hobos are crazy shits? Confine them all in 'homes' and there will be daily bloodbath.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.